Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Wait on Monitor purchase?

Wait on Monitor purchase?
Aegis
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2007, 01:03 PM

I just got a Macbook and I'm finding it's screen space insufficient so I planned on getting a 24" monitor to use with it. I know that LED monitors are arriving, so would it be better to wait (I'd prefer not to wait more than a month or two) and get an LED instead? Will their price be significantly higher?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 01:04 PM

What will you use it for? Likely if you need it in two months, you should buy now.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 01:17 PM

Like with all new technology it will be expensive at first.. even if LED monitors come out in 2 months time, you might have to wait another 6 months for the price to fall to a reasonable level!

Buy a dell or something similar.. plenty of discussions of these boards relating to monitors!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Aegis  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2007, 01:31 PM

I'd use it mostly for musical composition and everyday things.
I'll be getting a MP this fall/winter, so then I'd do some moderate gaming. I thought it'd be nice to have the monitor ready for the MP as well, then I'd let the wife use the Macbook as is.

I just wanted to be sure buying now wouldn't be a mistake. If the LED's are going to be 1000+ for 24" for the next couple months, then it's not worth it for me.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 01:31 PM

the one thing I'm wondering about is availability. It appears the new LED displays on the MBP's are only on the 15" model and not the 17" If apple isn't going (or unable to) have the 17" use the LED backlight how long will it be before we start seeing the larger displays use them?

Aegis  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2007, 01:53 PM

I remember hearing a while ago that Samsung had a 24" LED they were working on that was supposed to come out some time this year.

-Q-
Jun 5, 2007, 04:47 PM

If you need it now, buy it now. By the time you need to replace this monitor, the LED tech will be perfected and will be significantly cheaper.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2007, 03:10 AM

I agree with others -- if you need it now (or if it'll help you much now), buy now. The Dell 2407WFP seems to be a popular choice. I bought 2 Samsung 22" monitors but wished I just saved a bit more to get the Dell instead. I doubt you'll want LED backlighting for brightness as these monitors are already very bright to begin with (using in a dark environment even at dimmest settings is still too bright). Maybe for color evenness, but nothing so much that you'll need LED.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2007, 03:16 AM

I just got a 19" Westinghouse to replace my CRT - and at $129 US, I couldn't care if LED backed monitors were everywhere tomorrow! Nice price for a nice monitor to wait out the technology and price drop.

ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules