Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to my iMac G4 to output whatever is on the screen to Firewire

How to my iMac G4 to output whatever is on the screen to Firewire
Lebodde
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2004, 12:36 PM

I'm trying to record a live video feed from the internet. It is on Windows Media Player (yuk!)

I've tried to use Snapz Pro X from Ambrosia which is pretty cool but I'm having a lot of "hiccuping" in the audio for some reason.

So I thought I would try to record it directly to my Digital8 camera. It has a Firewire in/out which I use to edit videos with iMovie. But according to the manual I should also be able to record through it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like any signal is coming out of the computer FW port automatically. Do I need to do something special to whatever is on the screen to be sent to the iMac's Firewire port so I can just press Record on my camcorder?

I'm not sure if this is software or hardware issue. I have the iMac 17inch G4.

Thanks for any help.

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2004, 01:14 PM

I don't believe there is any built in method to turn your display video to video in DV format and feed it out through the firewire port (it would be a neat idea but need a fair bit of porcessing)
You could though convert the VGA output to analogue video (you would need an adaptor) as many DV camcroders can record this. Don't expect it to look brilliant as the clip in windows media player may be one frame rate, your iMac display will probably be running at a different rate and than your CV camcorder will record it ar 29.95 or 25 Hz - depending on whether you use NTSC or PAL.

It's a bit clunky though.

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2004, 08:58 PM

Thanks Will.

I have hooked up the audio and video analog out of the mac to the camcorder. For some reason, I am getting the audio to the camera but not the video. Do I need a prticular setting to activate the video out part?

Thanks a lot.

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2004, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by Lebodde:
Thanks Will.

I have hooked up the audio and video analog out of the mac to the camcorder. For some reason, I am getting the audio to the camera but not the video. Do I need a prticular setting to activate the video out part?

Thanks a lot.
What kind of adaptor are you using ('VGA' to video)?

Forum Links
Forum Rules