Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PC Laptop to iMac G5 transfer

PC Laptop to iMac G5 transfer
jster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2004, 12:53 PM

I have recently purchased a new iMac G5 and want to transfer my files from my old PC Laptop to it. (About 6gb worth of stuff!) My laptop doesn't have Firewire but has USB 1.1. It has a CD-Rewriter Drive but no DVD-Writer drive.

What is the quickest and easiest way of transferring files? I have used CDs for music before and have lost songs for some reason as they become corrupted so thats not really an option.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 12:57 PM

Your best bet is to use a crossover cable (or maybe just a standard ethernet cable), hook up the computers, make sure they are setup for networking, and drag and drop the new files on your harddrive. You can also do this wirelessly if you have both on the same wi-fi network.

jster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2004, 01:04 PM

How would I set up the iMac for networking to be on? I am a brand new switcher and am hardly mac-confident yet. Could I just drop the my music folder onto the iMacs hard drive from My Computer?

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by jster:
How would I set up the iMac for networking to be on? I am a brand new switcher and am hardly mac-confident yet. Could I just drop the my music folder onto the iMacs hard drive from My Computer?
I would go the other way:

Share the entire drive on your PC. On your Mac, open finder on your dock, click on the network icon, you should see your PC. Search and copy at will.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Forum Links
Forum Rules