Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can't read a Joliet-filesystem CD

Can't read a Joliet-filesystem CD
brza
Dec 19, 2005, 03:25 PM

I burned a CD with an avi video (which worked when on my hard drive which is where the video first was) on a Linux computer using GnomeBaker whch my roomate (who the computer belongs to) recommended using. The program has two choices for the filesystem: Joliet (Windows) and/or Rockridge (Linux filesystem).

Several CDs containing different files burned under any combination of the two filesystems would all mount and read on his computer, however they would mount and see the file properly but couldnt read it any further (ie couldn't open, for example, the video in VLC).

DiskUtility says it's a Joliet iso9660 CD which is supposed to be problem-less for OS X, but even when I tried to copy the video to my computer to see if that would work it gave me a generic READ error.

OreoCookie
Dec 19, 2005, 05:22 PM

So you are saying, OS X has problems reading a defective CD?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

brza  (op)
Dec 19, 2005, 06:45 PM

It's not a defective CD. ALL of the CDs burned on that machine can mount and the file's can be seen (including proper filesizes and it can identify what type of file they are) but beyond that it can't read them

His machine, which burned them, can mount and read the files with no problems whatsoever

OreoCookie
Dec 19, 2005, 07:08 PM

So what did you want to say with
Several CDs containing different files burned under any combination of the two filesystems would all mount and read on his computer, however they would mount and see the file properly but couldnt read it any further (ie couldn't open, for example, the video in VLC).

brza  (op)
Dec 19, 2005, 07:22 PM

What don't you understand?

They mount and read perfectly on the linux machine but the files cannot be read on MINE. The file system is correct, the files worked on my computer where they originated from. The disc can be mounted on mine and the file info (file type, size etc) can be read but I cannot actually LOAD the files in their respective apps nor can i copy the files back to my hard drive. I get a generic read error.

OreoCookie
Dec 19, 2005, 07:56 PM

Well, you don't mention your computer in the sentence, the subject of the second sentence is `the cds'. If you structure your sentences more systematically, people will have an easier time understanding what you originally intended to say.

So have you tried to feed the cds to a windows machine?

brza  (op)
Dec 19, 2005, 09:03 PM

I don't have a windows machine immediately available and won't for about a week (sounds crazy but that's the case)

brza  (op)
Dec 19, 2005, 11:02 PM

After a little more digging I think it could be the program used to burn. My roomate is away for a week on wednesday so he's going to install another one and I'm going to make some attempts while he's gone
( Last edited by brza; Dec 20, 2005 at 12:13 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules