Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > System slows down and becomes unusable till reboot of notebook

System slows down and becomes unusable till reboot of notebook
onryou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 12:45 PM

Alright, I will TRY to give as much detail as I can. I received my pb (powerbook) on Thursday the 17th of Feb. It's been almost a week now and I have been trying to watch the system to see when my problem occurs.

The problem itself is this: The notebook sits idle and goes to screensaver and then to sleep. Everyone knows thatís the default settings for pwr mngmnt.
That itself isn't the issue it is when I move the mouse or end the sleep to use it. It will have the back ground img with a reverse colored square in the middle of the screen. Thatís how I know this problem has occurred. And it only seems to happen after itís been idle a long time. It's VERY VERY slow and the response time is about 15 seconds after I click on anything. The only way I have been able to fix this is hard resetting it. Then it works fine till itís left alone for awhile. (Doesnít seem to be overheating is rather cool to touch.)

Other things I want to note are:
I have upgraded memory to 768. Did all patches from system update, and also went to the website and got the upgrade to 10.3.8. I have only installed these apps: Adium (newest version), WOW (world of warcraft), Firefox (newest version), and lastly opera (latest version)

If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. Also, If I have missed anything let me know, I will add to the post. If you want you can send me a private message or just simply respond here in the topic.

Thanks for the help in advance,
onryou

BTW, I have tried to search google and apple docs. I might be looking the wrong way, but I haven't been able to find anything on this issue.
powerbook 12" - 1.33 ghz - 768 mem

ibook_steve
Feb 23, 2005, 01:31 PM

When this happens, do you hear the hard drive going? Do you have any programs running? Go into Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and click on the %CPU column to sort by CPU use. If there is something eating up CPU use and it is a regular application, quit it and see if things improve. If it is a hidden application, one the system uses and that you didn't install yourself, then you may want to try a reinstall of the system. Before doing that though, set up a separate new user in the Accounts system preferences and see if you have the same problem with the different user. I don't really understand what you mean about the reverse colored square, but worst case is you have a problem with the graphics chip. Try these other things first before worrying about a possible hardware problem.

Steve

onryou  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
When this happens, do you hear the hard drive going? Do you have any programs running? Go into Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and click on the %CPU column to sort by CPU use. If there is something eating up CPU use and it is a regular application, quit it and see if things improve. If it is a hidden application, one the system uses and that you didn't install yourself, then you may want to try a reinstall of the system. Before doing that though, set up a separate new user in the Accounts system preferences and see if you have the same problem with the different user. I don't really understand what you mean about the reverse colored square, but worst case is you have a problem with the graphics chip. Try these other things first before worrying about a possible hardware problem.

Steve

You know this is the BEST answer I have gotten. Everyone else on the other forums say memory (ram) I personally don't think that's it. I will check out the sys monitor to see whatís running. However, just FYI, it happens if I have NO apps running or 6 apps going. (safari, firefox, wow or whatever)

Also, the backgroup with a sqare in the middle of the screen with inverse color... I thought that might confuse people, so what I will do is take a screen shot and post that sucker.

Thanks,
onryou

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 03:59 PM

it WOULD be worth removing the 512m ramcard, just to be sure that's not the issue...

btw don't call it a "notebook" or steve will send 2 goons to your house to kick your ass...

(he prefers "powerbook")...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

onryou  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 10:33 AM

Someone posted this for me on another msg board, thought I would share it.

---
"There is a known issue for powerbooks after coming out of sleep due to the 10.3.8 update. It doesn't happen with all powerbooks, but many. It was on macfixit.com yesterday, and they said the only way to fix it for now is to just reboot."
---

onryou

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 12:53 PM

i'd still check the ram if i were you...

(might as well find out or rule it out)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2005, 04:45 PM

It's not your ram... it's the 10.3.8 update. It happened to me right after that update... and my powerbook works flawlessly besides that. It is quite anoying and best be fixed soon!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
It's not your ram... it's the 10.3.8 update. It happened to me right after that update... and my powerbook works flawlessly besides that. It is quite anoying and best be fixed soon!

but lots of people ran the update without a problem...
still, a friend of mine updated, and his added ram was not recognized.
we removed the chip and re-seated it, powered up, and he is fine.

i still say (and i swear i will NEVER say it again... )

try removing the additional ram, try it out, then report back!

onryou  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2005, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
but lots of people ran the update without a problem...
still, a friend of mine updated, and his added ram was not recognized.
we removed the chip and re-seated it, powered up, and he is fine.

i still say (and i swear i will NEVER say it again... )

try removing the additional ram, try it out, then report back!
This problem seemed to only apply to powerbooks.

onryou

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 02:39 AM

Try downloading the large combo 10.3.8 updater and applying it, Sometimes problems go away when you do this. It's been recommended many times for many problems from many system updates over the years.

Also, when you say a "reverse color box" in the middle of the screen, are you talking about the dreaded kernel panic warning? Does this box have writing in it?

IF, let me repeat that, "if" it IS the kernel panic warning, then you should run fsck -y (or fsck -fy if the HD is journalled) and be sure to back everything up. The RAM might be the culprit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules