Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Torrent Clients lock up my Mac, necessitate hard shutdown

Torrent Clients lock up my Mac, necessitate hard shutdown
obelix112za
Apr 19, 2008, 06:53 AM

Hope anyone here can help.

I've tried all torrent clients for Mac. For some reason if I leave them on, and go to work / bed, when I return they've frozen & don't even want to force quit. Can't be the torrent clients, I've tried all of them. The only way then to shut down my iMac is holding in the power button at the back. Can't be good for my Mac.

Handbrake just quits after a while as well.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.2, fully updated on an Intel iMac.
J.H du Plessis
New 20" iMac, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB RAM, 320HDD, Samsung 24" 245B LCD, HP C6180 All In One Wireless Printer
Photo.net Photo's

moep
Senior User
Apr 19, 2008, 08:20 AM

It might be a hardware issue. Did you install any third-party RAM in the machine?

Try running the Leopard Hardware Diagnostic Test:

Intel-based Macs: Starting up into Apple Hardware Test
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

obelix112za  (op)
Apr 19, 2008, 10:45 PM

Yeah I did actually. I have 4GB RAM bought from crucial.com. Do you think tat might be it?
J.H du Plessis
New 20" iMac, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB RAM, 320HDD, Samsung 24" 245B LCD, HP C6180 All In One Wireless Printer
Photo.net Photo's

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2008, 10:59 PM

It might be.

I know that on my Macbook I got 4gb of RAM so I could run windows xp and use utorrent for my downloads. Runs stable as a rock and I get the benefit of using utorrent which is speed. Utorrent has much better speeds than any other mac client, especially with encryption turned on. Try it. I use Parallels for my vm. Great thing is I can still surf torrent sites on the mac side, dl the actual file, and it associates with utorrent in the Parallels VM. I like my setup, works very slick.

As to your problem directly yeah it could be bad ram, try turning off all screen savers, powermanagment, stuff like that.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2008, 02:55 AM

I'd say hard drive failing actually.

You're probably writing to a bad sector and the hard drive stops responding (as it continues to try and write to the same sector but fails), and the kernal is waiting for the hard drive to respond so it can continue writing.

Or it could be the RAM (But make sure you have a backup just in case!)

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2008, 03:46 AM

If you have a copy of Disk Warrior 4 I'd run that.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

obelix112za  (op)
Apr 20, 2008, 08:33 PM

I've done a full test of my Mac.
I've tested my Mac with Techtool Deluxe & the Mac Hardware Test (full extended test). Everything seems fine.

What I forgot to mention is that I'm downloading to a Western Digital 1.5TB External HDD (self powered). IIt's partitioned into 2 partitions. 1.2TB is for Time Machine & 160GB is just for downloads.

Could that be the problem?
J.H du Plessis
Photo.net Photo's

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2008, 08:44 PM

It could indeed. Try opening up Console and if there's anything in your system log around the time of a crash, post it here. I've had an external drive that sporadically crashed the computer it was attached to before.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules