Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Pwrbk 867 -$1094 at Amazon.

12" Pwrbk 867 -$1094 at Amazon.
topher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2003, 10:55 AM

Looks legit. I don't see any Refurb notices, but I didn't check too hard.

http://www.bensbargains.net/ 1/3rd the way down.

12/11/03Here.

Augie50
Dec 11, 2003, 03:13 PM

Also note, you get free shipping and A FREE iSIGHT!! Heckuva deal if you ask me...

Tomster
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 04:12 PM

And no tax to boot!
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

cambro
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 04:54 PM

It is legit. I ordered one and it is shipping with a free iSight, all for $1085.

I searched the forums looking for opinions on the 12" 867 PBs, but what is the consensus now? Any owners of the 867 wanna comment please?

Tek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2003, 05:11 PM

Basically its for you to judge. No mini DVI out, You are losing 256mb of Cache, 133mhz, Less standard RAM and less max RAM, so if you adda 512 chip you will have 640 as opposed to 768, plus revb can add a a 1 gig chip and have a total of 1.25 gig of RAM. Also there is the talk about higher heat issues compared to the revB books. Now is all this worth $400 more and no insight? That is for you to decide and something i am currently trying to do as well. The revB will be noticable faster due mainly to the increase in L2 cache... but still is the diffence in speed worth $400... I really can't decide...

May God Be With You.
-Matt

cambro
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 07:21 PM

Thanks Tek.

I was mainly worried about "Rev. A" issues such as heat, battery life etc. I have no doubt that either machine will give a decent performance increase relative to the 600 Mhz iBook it will be replacing.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by cambro:
Thanks Tek.

I was mainly worried about "Rev. A" issues such as heat, battery life etc. I have no doubt that either machine will give a decent performance increase relative to the 600 Mhz iBook it will be replacing.
Cambro: Please report back once you get it and have spent some time with it. For example, with lots of apps open (or even just using Classic) how hot does it get?

I'm wondering if Amazon somehow found a cache of new rev A firebooks lying around somewhere, or if Apple cleared out a warehouse??

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2003, 12:59 AM

personally, I think that's a pretty awesome deal
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2003, 01:09 AM

I just ordered one.

I just got an email yesterday from Amazon saying if I buy $1000+ before the end of the month, I get a $100 gift certificate from Amazon in Feb.

And if you buy an Epson printer at the same time - C84, I think (I think it's an Apple promotion you can find on Apple's website) you can get your $99 back. (rebate)

Not a bad deal.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 10:35 AM

Incredible deal, wow.

allmodconz
Dec 12, 2003, 01:29 PM

I was looking at that deal as well.
I'm looking to upgrade my machine but the heat issues and lack of long battery life have kept me from ordering. My new laptop will be my only machine so I want it to be a workhorse.
By all accounts the new iBooks have better battery life so I may go with one of them.
--------------------------------
eMac / 80 gig HD /1Ghz G4/ 1 GB memory / OS X.3 / Superdrive / 40 gig iPod Photo
READ MY BLOG: www.informationleafblower.com/blog

kjm
Dec 13, 2003, 02:37 PM

Wow, seems like a good deal! Thinking of getting one as my "starter" laptop until I can get a better one. I was looking into the 12" PB 1ghz model with upgrades so this will save me some money. Honestly, if I'd spend almost $2,000 (with upgrades) I'd be too scared to even use the laptop with fear that I'd damage it while traveling. At least with this one I won't be "too" careful where I won't even want to use it like if it was the more expensive 1ghz version. For that reason, I was starting to look at the iBook line for something basic (12" iBook G4) but deffinately prefer the look of the PB. Looking for something basic, inexpensive, but decent machine. Decisions, Decisions. Anyhow, few questions:

1) If one is to buy from amazon.com are the warranty issues still the same (90 days, able to add apple care later, etc?)

2) Would this be a decent "starter" laptop for on the go? (web, email, itunes, bit of designing)

3) Does the 12" PB 867 model beat out the iBook G3/G4?
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

Forum Links
Forum Rules