Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > update or upgrade?

update or upgrade?
kjm
Jan 24, 2004, 08:48 AM

We bought a Rev A 12" PB that shipped with 10.2.3; should we update to 10.2.8 or upgrade to 10.3? We're looking to use the most stable version with the least amount of problems. Hoping we could find some help with the following:

1 ) If upgrading to 10.3 (Panther) should we update to 10.3.1 or 10.3.2?

2 ) Which is the best method of installing Panther? (update install, archive and install, or clean install with format)

3 ) Is there any difference between the upgrade and full version of the Panther cds?

4 ) Will updating or upgrading to either 10.2.8 or 10.3 result in loosing programs (iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, iTunes)?

5 ) If upgrading to Panther is it possible to get the "upgrade kit" by going to an Apple store location or is it only available by sending in the order form found on the Apple site?

6 ) Is the "upgrade kit" available even if the PB was purchased through an authorized reseller? (ex. Amazon or CompUSA)

7 ) If simply updating to 10.2.8 is it recommended to backup our files? Or will everything (files, programs, settings) be the same as before the update?

8 ) When checking for software updates one of the listed is the "Slot Combo Drive Update 1.0". Is this also required for the Super Drive or only for the Combo Drive?
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by kjm:
We bought a Rev A 12" PB that shipped with 10.2.3; should we update to 10.2.8 or upgrade to 10.3?
Upgrade to 10.3. It's totally worth it. 10.3 rocks.

1 ) If upgrading to 10.3 (Panther) should we update to 10.3.1 or 10.3.2?
Probably upgrade to 10.3.2.

2 ) Which is the best method of installing Panther? (update install, archive and install, or clean install with format)
Archive & Install with save prefs turned on.
3 ) Is there any difference between the upgrade and full version of the Panther cds?
I don't know. The upgrade might not be available, though. You'll need a recent PowerBook; I'm not sure your rev a would be in the list.

4 ) Will updating or upgrading to either 10.2.8 or 10.3 result in loosing programs (iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, iTunes)?
Nope.
5 ) If upgrading to Panther is it possible to get the "upgrade kit" by going to an Apple store location or is it only available by sending in the order form found on the Apple site?
I don't know. Of course, you do need to have a recently made computer to upgrade.

6 ) Is the "upgrade kit" available even if the PB was purchased through an authorized reseller? (ex. Amazon or CompUSA)
Yes, I'm pretty sure it is.

8 ) When checking for software updates one of the listed is the "Slot Combo Drive Update 1.0". Is this also required for the Super Drive or only for the Combo Drive?
I don't know, but if it's in Software Update you should probably download it.
[/B][/QUOTE]
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 04:53 PM

If you are eligible for the up-to-date 10.3 software update because of a recent hardware buy with 'old' software, get it before it expires.
Then stay with 10.2.8, there are many quirks in 10.3.2 especially in networking. Later do an update install to 10.3 and update to 10.3.3 or whatever is the current version then.

-

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2004, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know, but if it's in Software Update you should probably download it.
No. If you have a SuperDrive, then you don't need this update. It's for Combo Drives only.

And, update to the full 10.3.2. I've been using it with absolutely NONE of the problems people have been complaining about. The only problem I had was with start up speed, and the fix posted all over has worked great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules