Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > finally installing panther

finally installing panther
kjm
Mar 7, 2004, 01:04 AM

I've had the Panther upgrade for sometime now, but I'm finally getting ready to install. Had a few questions that hopefully I can get some help with.

- Will using the "Erase and Install" option remove all my applications? (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD)

- I've read that choosing "Upgrade" has caused some problems, is it better to choose "Erase and Install"?

- Finally ordered the Airport Extreme card and should be arriving early next week. Should I install Panther before or after I install the AE card?

- After installing Panther should I download the newest update? If so, what is the newest version available?

- How can I export my Safari bookmarks? I want to add these after installing Panther.
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2004, 01:17 AM

i would suggest searching the forum as there are countless threads about installing panther and what the options are and how they work.

i would use the "archive and install" option - it will leave your apps and user files intact and just install a new system (it makes a copy of your previous system first...)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

kjm  (op)
Mar 7, 2004, 01:26 AM

Actually, I did use the search feature. Which is why I read that there were some problems when choosing the "Upgrade" when installing Panther. It's my fault for not being to specific, but my question was more along the lines of "which one would be safer and stable when installing?"
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2004, 01:47 AM

personally, i think the "archive and install" is the best option. it gives you a "clean" system so it is not an "upgrade" to your previous install - it creates a folder called "previous system" and puts the old system there and installs a new one. like i said before, it will preserve your applications and user accounts and settings. if you have not been experiencing any chronic problems with your current system then this is the way to go. if however you are having problems you can't resolve, the perhaps the erase and install is best for you. it completely wipes the drive and you'll will need to install all your applications again (well, the ones that don't come as part of 10.3 anyway...)

- yes, after installing i think you should run the software update (a few times) to get all the latest updates, especially the security ones....10.3.2 is the latest system update but there have been security updates after that. 10.3.3 is expected "soon."

- if you want to back up your safari book mark, just copy the file from your home directory...it will be in ~/library/safari and it's called "bookmarks.plist"
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

kjm  (op)
Mar 7, 2004, 02:10 AM

Yes, actually I've had several "you need to restart" messages lately. So I'm assuming that in my case it would be best just to do an "Erase and Install" instead of the "Upgrade.

So if I just copy the file "bookmarks.plist" I will be able to import all my bookmark folders after I have installed Panther?
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

kjm  (op)
Mar 7, 2004, 04:49 AM

decided to go with the "Erase and Install". iDVD is missing now, how can I restore it? Will be purchasing iLife '04 this week - should I just not worry about it until then? If so, will the rest of the iLife package override the exisiting programs (iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto)?
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by kjm:
decided to go with the "Erase and Install". iDVD is missing now, how can I restore it? Will be purchasing iLife '04 this week - should I just not worry about it until then? If so, will the rest of the iLife package override the exisiting programs (iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto)?
Wait and install iLife'04. It will overwrite old apps with the new ones.

kjm  (op)
Mar 7, 2004, 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone! So far everything is running smoothly (lets hope it stays that way).
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

bierslayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2004, 01:56 PM

After an "archive and install", what do I do with the Previous System folder? Do I just trash it once I've determined that everything is running properly?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2004, 02:59 PM

1) A HD wipe is always best.

2) Archive and Instal

3) Upgrade

I am going to buy a new HD when 10.4 is released.

Forum Links
Forum Rules