Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Thread about anything other than Battlefield 3, MW3, or Minecraft

Thread about anything other than Battlefield 3, MW3, or Minecraft
ibook_steve
Apr 12, 2012, 05:18 PM

Since I don't play any of these games and I'm sick of seeing posts only about them, I wanted to have something about any games other than them.

I recently finished Skyward Sword (finally; my gaming time with a baby is much, much less than before). I think I'll go through Hero Mode, but I'm debating it. I thought it was OK, but all the item collection for upgrades and such was really annoying. At least you keep all the crap you've collected when you start Hero Mode.

I've been loving my 3DS lately. I recently started Kid Icarus, which is a really cool game, but really weird. I'm almost completely overwhelmed with the options in this game, especially the weapons. I'm not finding much distinction between one weapon or another, and I haven't even tried merging weapons, which just seems overly complicated. Thoughts?

There. Now I feel better.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Since I don't play any of these games and I'm sick of seeing posts only about them, I wanted to have something about any games other than them.

I recently finished Skyward Sword (finally; my gaming time with a baby is much, much less than before). I think I'll go through Hero Mode, but I'm debating it. I thought it was OK, but all the item collection for upgrades and such was really annoying. At least you keep all the booze you've collected when you start Hero Mode.
Yeah, the item upgrade thing was very cool, but didn't realize it's potential, but I think the biggest potential lost area was in the over world and the lack of interesting exploration up there outside of Skyloft.

I hope the Wii U Zelda game keeps up with the impressionistic style of graphics rather than going for realism. I don't want Zelda to look like Darksiders.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2012, 08:57 PM

I played Quantum Conundrum at PAX East, seemed really cool, from the creator of Portal.

ibook_steve  (op)
Apr 12, 2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I played Quantum Conundrum at PAX East, seemed really cool, from the creator of Portal.
What kind of game is it?

Steve

P
Apr 13, 2012, 07:15 AM

I know I'm way behind the curve, but I have been playing LA Noire, and it's quite interesting.

Also The Binding of Isaac. A lot.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2012, 07:38 AM

What kind of game is it?

Steve
Instead of using portals you manipulate the world through using different dimensions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9oZGs7UycE

-Q-
Apr 13, 2012, 07:58 AM

I'm so behind on gaming. I think the only thing I can say I've regularly played is Torchlight (just heard Torchlight 2 has a June release - looking forward to it and D3 in May) and The Old Republic. Still not max level on ToR and I've had it since release.

Played a bit of Draw Something on the iPad, which is more fun that I thought (so long as people play by the rules) and if I have a few minutes standing around waiting I'll fire up the old standby, Bejeweled.

Just can't seem to string together more than an hour of uninterrupted time. Not even sure I qualify as a casual gamer, anymore.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I know I'm way behind the curve, but I have been playing LA Noire, and it's quite interesting.
There's a thread for that, if you're interested.

P
Apr 13, 2012, 09:54 AM

Found it. Apparently I should try playing in B&W.

I mostly agree with the comments. It's a bit strange, because I'm not enjoying myself too much while playing, but I still want to see where it goes, and the gameplay truly is unique.

The thing is, the problems are really things that ought to be easy to fix. E.g. the gunplay is an absolute joke with a mouse - I just crouch in cover until I see where a bad guy comes up and then as soon as he's down I stand up to aim at that spot. The split second he comes back up I click once for a headshot insta-kill. If they had just given the AI a little more skill, it would be way harder. The physics are also freaky. At the end of a car chase, I was breaking wildly to avoid hitting a pedestrian. I almost made it - I hit her while moving at about 2 mph. The pedestrian shot 25 feet straight up into the air and came down again in basically the same spot. Hilarious.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I'm so behind on gaming.
I hear ya. I've only beaten NetHack five times, going for a sixth but having trouble with the Archaeologist....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2012, 11:49 AM

FYI, I put the "Discussion" in Gaming News & Discussion just for that reason.

And I'm not sure I like your tone, young man.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2012, 01:31 PM

Ignore Dakar.

There's no problem starting a new thread to discuss any game your interested in. You did just that. It's what I do. That's why I didn't make a fuss like a certain someone.

The games you mentioned are just the ones we're currently playing.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Ignore Dakar.

There's no problem starting a new thread to discuss any game your interested in. You did just that. It's what I do. That's why I didn't make a fuss like a certain someone.
That's not what I'm saying. He's looking to have a general discussion on video games, rather than something specific. And I didn't say this thread shouldn't exist, I'm mentioning that the other thread is there and it was also created with this idea in mind, should he desire to use it.

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
The games you mentioned are just the ones we're currently playing.
The games he mentioned are the ones with active online communities. Unfortunately the forum's population is small that there are very few active communities.
Also, he should have slandered Halo, too.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 13, 2012, 01:41 PM

...But what would the gaming forum be without Halo 3?

Didn't mean to drop a hook (rhyme) like that. Haha

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2012, 02:14 PM

If nothing else, Minecraft, BF3, and Skyrim at least represent a decent spectrum of gaming.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
...But what would the gaming forum be without Halo 3?

Didn't mean to drop a hook (rhyme) like that. Haha
Clever girl.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ibook_steve  (op)
Apr 13, 2012, 03:59 PM

I thought the other thread was mostly about discussing gaming news, not what you're playing.

To get back on track, I'd be interested to hear more opinions on Skyward Sword and Kid Icarus.

Steve

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2012, 11:27 AM

Has anyone else even played those two games? At least someone who is active in the forum?

Sorry, ibook_steve. Now you know how I feel when I talk about Infamous here.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post

Also The Binding of Isaac. A lot.
So am I. I still play MW3.

Must say, The Binding of Isaac looks like the sort of game that would really annoy me, but I'd have to keep playing it. I shall keep well clear of it.

ibook_steve  (op)
Apr 16, 2012, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
So am I. I still play MW3.

Must say, The Binding of Isaac looks like the sort of game that would really annoy me, but I'd have to keep playing it. I shall keep well clear of it.
I have Binding of Isaac as well. At first I thought, cool, Zelda clone. But the randomly generated dungeons and difficulty in finding new weapons/items is annoying.

And you start back with zilch whenever you start a new dungeon. I don't like that.

Steve

P
Apr 16, 2012, 03:46 AM

The randomness means that some games are very easy, others very hard, but since each game is so quick, it tends to even itself out. The game is full of unlockables - that's a big part of what keeps it fresh.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2012, 05:32 PM

I've started playing WoW again while waiting for D3. It hasn't changed much since the last I played, but the new expansion looks promising.

Forum Links
Forum Rules