Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Made in America

Made in America
thesunisgone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2006, 11:51 PM

I only want to buy products completely made in America, since I disagree with globalism, a.k.a. capitalism, and will never support it with my money. I believe America should be self-supporting nation, not interdependent as Mr. Bush desperatley wishes. Whether or not my actions have an impact, who knows. But at least I will not be the prositute of the multi-national corporations.

Please post links to your favorite made in America products.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 12:00 AM

Start with food. Find out if there are any organic or whole food markets supporting local farmers in your area and start buying food from there.

As far as consumer products are concerned, you'll have a hard time.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 12:07 AM

gotta love americans
we don't have time to stop for gas

thesunisgone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 12:07 AM

Will I?

Food and soap, etc. is pretty easy.

I just need clothes, shoes, etc. as I do live very simply.

I am bothered by the fact that Apple computers are not American made.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 12:12 AM

Too bad, we live in a global economy, get over it.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 12:18 AM

It will prove to be a very difficult proposition unless you want to radically change your style and quality of living.

You can start by never purchasing a computer, card, or most any other electronic device. Almost all of these have many (most?) parts made outside of the US.

Unless you live in an old house, chances are that many of the materials in it were foreign made.

Food? Even with food grown/refined/packaged in the US, oftentimes the packaging (boxes, bags, etc) is made in other places.

Basically, unless you become a hermit and make/grow most things for yourself or acquire them from local producers (which is often very difficult), you will probably not be able to buy only "Made in America" goods.

Trying to buy things that are made in the USA whenever possible is one thing - refusing to buy things that are not is simply not practical for most people.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by thesunisgone
I only want to buy products completely made in America, since I disagree with globalism, a.k.a. capitalism, and will never support it with my money.

-r.

thesunisgone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 12:23 AM

Well, I won't be detered because capitalism has made it impossible for national products to compete. Maybe I can buy a used computer then from an American, and an old house and car from Americans then. At the least this will keep the globalists from getting new purchases. And I usually don't eat prepackaged foods anyway. I don't want to support globalism, regardless of whether or not some people say we live in a global society. I still have a choice who I support. I won't allow globalism to dictate my political opinion because it has created unfair conditions.
( Last edited by thesunisgone; Feb 5, 2006 at 12:31 AM. )

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 12:24 AM

He did not specify what part of America he wants to buy his goods. I mean, there is north america, central america, south america. So if he learns his geography he might be able to get by.

thesunisgone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 12:28 AM

America is the United States of America. Duh. Maybe learn some common sense.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2006, 12:36 AM

Hire me to build your house.

The home building industry is one of the last ones left in America.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 12:41 AM

Only people from the USA make that comment. I travel a lot and other countries in The Americas don't adhere to that logic. So, I suggest to you, travel more get to know other nations, you'll learn a lot from others! (I'm being nice, not sarcastic at all)

euchomai
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 12:42 AM

ps. What is so wrong about improving the global economy?

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by euchomai
Only people from the USA make that comment. I travel a lot and other countries in The Americas don't adhere to that logic. So, I suggest to you, travel more get to know other nations, you'll learn a lot from others! (I'm being nice, not sarcastic at all)
Thanks for backing me up.

MacIntel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by euchomai
Only people from the USA make that comment. I travel a lot and other countries in The Americas don't adhere to that logic.
Why do people always argue over this? What's logical in pretending there's no difference between a country and a continent?

Africa is a continent.
South Africa is a country. There are other nations in the south of Africa, but they are not South Africa. It's not logical for a person from Zimbabwe to argue that a person from South Africa can't call themselves South African.

Yet a South African is also an African (continent).

An American is a citizen of the United States of America, and is also a North American (continent).

The North and South distinctions are not optional (despite anyone's silly pretense that they are) so America (singular, with no N or S distinction) refers only the United States of America.

See, that wasn't so difficult!

Anyway, I don't get the other so-called logic of this thread. How would only buying American made products not supporting capitalism? Not sure I get the reasoning here.

thesunisgone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by MacIntel
Why do people always argue over this? What's logical in pretending there's no difference between a country and a continent?

Africa is a continent.
South Africa is a country. There are other nations in the south of Africa, but they are not South Africa. It's not logical for a person from Zimbabwe to argue that a person from South Africa can't call themselves South African.

Yet a South African is also an African (continent).

An American is a citizen of the United States of America, and is also a North American (continent).

The North and South distinctions are not optional (despite anyone's silly pretense that they are) so America (singular, with no N or S distinction) refers only the United States of America.

See, that wasn't so difficult!

Anyway, I don't get the other so-called logic of this thread. How would only buying American made products not supporting capitalism? Not sure I get the reasoning here.

Umm...you're hijacking my thread. This is a commonly used tactic amongst people who want to divert attention away from the real issue of globalism. I say America is the United States of America, and you start in with a diversionary argument. But it's not going to work.

American made products support a self-sustaining nation. That's what made America great in the first place. Americans worked to support themselves and created the world's richest nation. We can't sacrifice that by becoming interdependent. We will not be dependent on products from another country to sustain us and have our working people destroyed by vast amounts of slave-like labor that globalists control. If we don't take a stand, we will all be slaves to the globalists. You might like being a prostitute and selling out your future, but I won't do it.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 04:11 AM

I only want to buy products completely made in America.
Then you are a xenophobic fool.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 04:24 AM

I don't think it's really possible in this day and age to buy only American products. Computers definately are not an options. Neither are Cars. While a car may be assembled in The US, it's components are shipped in from every which direction.

As mentioned above. Food is your best bet, you can get stuff grown domestically. Especially produce.
Good luck (My land lord wouldn't eat this one confection he got as a Christmas gift because it was a product of Romania... and he "Can't work in Romania."

If you go down to South America, and refer to the US as America (and the US alone) you will offend someone. They consider themselves America as well. It's only in the US that we refer to America as only the United States of America.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

MacIntel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 04:47 AM

Umm...you're hijacking my thread. This is a commonly used tactic amongst people who want to divert attention away from the real issue of globalism. I say America is the United States of America, and you start in with a diversionary argument. But it's not going to work.
Whoooosh. Not the brightest bulb.

Alcoholica
Feb 5, 2006, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by MacIntel
Whoooosh. Not the brightest bulb.
No ****. A free-standing USA completely devoid of capitalism? Ha!

MacIntel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
If you go down to South America, and refer to the US as America (and the US alone) you will offend someone.
I've been to South America, and people know what you're talking about when you refer to America as a nation. And most people I've ever met from South America know what continent they live on. They know they are part of the America(s) -notice plural, not singular- and that this refers to the continents, not their country.

They consider themselves America as well.
It's called SOUTH America, so they are South Americans. The South is not optional, it's part of the continent's name. There is no continent of 'America'. There's no nation in South America named America, therefore no singular Americans. Most people in South America know this also.

Is this really that difficult to grasp?

It's only in the US that we refer to America as only the United States of America.
It's only the US that contains the word America in the name of the country, which is what the usage of the singular America refers to.

You'd be right if there was one continent called America. Just like South Africans are Africans, we'd all be Americans as part of the same continent. But we're not. There are TWO different continents. I don't see why anyone would try and insist they can change the names of these continents at will, nor really the point other than just to be annoying.

thesunisgone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 06:50 AM

More of the diversionary argument. There are many globalist conspirators on this forum.

thesunisgone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey

Is that all you got?

Why don't you call me gay too.

The fact is that I will not support the globalist slave machine at any cost. Globalism isn't about people working together. It's about people being enslaved and used and destroyed under an irrational and destructive economic system.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 07:28 AM

Double post.
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Feb 5, 2006 at 07:50 AM. )

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 07:30 AM

I'd say get a life (and a clue), but I'm just a lazy American.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 07:35 AM

Is that all you got?

Why don't you call me gay too.

The fact is that I will not support the globalist slave machine at any cost. Globalism isn't about people working together. It's about people being enslaved and used and destroyed under an irrational and destructive economic system.
Why would I call you gay?

Would all these people who are employed by US companies in Asia be better off without jobs?

You just hate that people that aren't American can make money from you.

Who do you think made your Mac, do you think it was assembled by Apple in California?
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Feb 5, 2006 at 07:51 AM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 08:51 AM

"Globalist slave machine" -- how old are you? 14? 15? 21?

Kids these days...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 09:01 AM

you should also avoid any US company that has any kind of link to the global economy, or uses any equipment not made in the US.

Also you should track down the origins of food produce and recipies and ignore anything not from the US.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
"Globalist slave machine" -- how old are you? 14? 15? 21?

Kids these days...

Its amazing isn't it, I'l bet someone a bit older has fed him this crap.
Maybe he's been writing to Charlie Manson.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 09:15 AM

Well, apart from his bickering, I think thesunisgone has a point.

We drink wine that's been transported around half the globe.
During winter, we eat fruit that has been flown in from the southern hemisphere.
Because our manufacturing industry cannot compete on price anymore, we get stuff that's made in China, where now there is a huge environmental time bomb ticking. Already one third of the air pollution in California is coming from Asia. One freaking third, and there's little we can do about it.

All of this is creating a huge environmental footprint. Every strawberry that has seen the inside of an aircraft will come with an environmental price. So does every bottle of imported beer.

So, I try and buy locally produced goods too. I drink beer brewed in Toronto and white wine from the Niagara region. I've yet to find a good Canadian red, but when I do I'll be dropping the Chilean or Californian reds I am currently drinking.

So, it's a good idea to buy locally.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 11:46 AM

I tried only buying products that were made in America, but then realized I lived in Japan and that I would soon go hungry, naked, and shelterless in about 2 seconds. I don't think I've seen a single product that says 'made in America' in Japan yet. with the exception of maybe like a couple of shirts I brought with me.

I wonder, do people in China outsource all of their products somewhere? I mean, do Chinese people want to only buy things that say 'Made in China' on them?

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 11:54 AM

Absolutely. I buy local, organically grown produce whenever possible. I grow as much of my own as possible during the summer. I don't buy all Made in China sweatshop goods at Wal-Mart. In fact, I don't shop at Wal-Mart at all. I'll shop at a local store in town, even if it means paying a bit more for the same item.

I firmly believe that supporting local economies (truthfully, far more local than some broad, patriotic "Made in USA" area) is important. In the event of an infrastructure collapse or gigantic global conflict, California and China and Chile are going to be about as useful to me as a product from the moon would be today.

Environmentally, as Mastrap mentioned above, it is also a very good idea to buy locally produced goods whenever possible. However, again, local must mean more than "Made in the USA" for there to be a positive environmental impact. Shipping from California is in many cases a farther distance to where I live than many parts of South America, or at the very least, an equal distance. The same goes for Canadian-made products. The transportation costs and environmental impact involved in moving goods across the country (or the world) is enormous.

However, I realise that it is not always possible to buy things locally unless one is willing to settle for living a very different lifestyle. No TV, no computer, no cell phone, no car, etc - many modern conveniences that we take for granted are a direct result of the global economy. We would also have to not expect fresh produce in January if we refused to purchase it when it was imported from some warm, tropical locale.

As I said above, it isn't impossible to shop only locally. Just impractical for most people. However, it is certainly possible to try and support the local economy whenever possible.

OreoCookie
Feb 5, 2006, 12:03 PM

I remember, my girlfriend brought me some `Mexican' souvenirs – even those were made in China

To the OP: just go back to the `My mother wants an American car' thread. I kinda doubt you'll find a lot of products nowadays that are purely American. You can also forget about many of the best minds at some of the US' top universities, while you're at it.

If your toaster or your TV is not made in the States, what does it say about you?
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Feb 5, 2006 at 03:12 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Feb 5, 2006, 01:24 PM

I heared an NPR article where it mentioned that the "Mexican blankets" sold at the Tijuana border are now manufactured in China. In the movie "The high price of low cost" on Walmart it states that a Chinese worker produces a shirt for .14 - .18 cents per shirt, while that same shirt at Walmart sells for almost $15.00. Chinese workers live under horrible circumstances for a pittance, however there are few if any alternatives. No environmental or safety regulations, or if there are they are staged.

By 2020 it's estimated that China will have a demand for as much oil as the worlds produces for the entire planet.

It seems that we are going to be facing a drastic change to our way of life in a relatively short period of time. I wonder what the solution is, or if there is one. Maybe the best thing as the thread starter mentioned to buy American, but when practical. However, I think moreover the solution is to reduce consumption. How many families really need two cars let alone two SUVs? How many extra blankets, dishes, tvs, pots, and simply pure bullshit made here or somewhere else sits around our homes.

Go to the dump on a weekend and notice what people throw away. Perfectly serviceable stuff, but they have been convinced they need to upgrade their toasters etc... We buy the stuff which is manufactured in Asia whose factories spew toxins which account for that 1/3 of the California pollutants earlier spoken about.

I go into maybe five houses every day, and I notice differences in lifestyles. Some have rustic furnishing, worn but still stylish, a nice older radio, and books and books, yet I can tell the people are of means. Most other houses are packed with stuff these people have little time to use because they are working so many hours to by this **** they can't use.

He in the States we have our priorities completely out of whack.

This post is jumbled I know, but have to go buy some bullshit my wife doesn't need, and I wanted to vent.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2006, 01:40 PM

So let me get this right. When the ancient Egyptians traded with Cornwall in what is now England, the Egyptians were doing a horrible thing. Link And I suppose the same goes when Europeans traded with India and China (and vice versa, obviously) along the Silk Road? How about trade between the Egyptians and Phoenicians and the states of central Africa? A bad thing?

That is about 3000 years of "globalization", but international trade certainly goes back long before then. How far back shall we take this Luddite provincial attitude? The stone age? Earlier? I'm pretty sure people were trading back and forth that far ago. And of course, the reason that people do so is because it is more efficient to trade, and because people want to make a living and buy and sell things with their neighbors. Oh, the horror of it all!

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2006, 01:42 PM

This thread caused me to get constipated. Great.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 01:55 PM

A very difficult task. Even our beloved Mac.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 01:57 PM

Let me guess. You like Freedom Fries.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

The Windozer
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2006, 02:39 PM

1: Make spear from American stick and sharp, American stone.

2: Hunt (American) rabbit.

3: Enjoy all-American meal and make all-American rabbit hat.
Making sense is overrated.

Hippotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia -The fear of long words.

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape
This post is jumbled I know, but have to go buy some bullshit my wife doesn't need, and I wanted to vent.
Oh man, poor guy. Ill pray for you. But then again, you can use this to your benefit. you can go out and buy something you really do not need to and if she does not like it, well you can remind her that she does the same.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 5, 2006, 02:49 PM

I only want to buy products completely made in America, since I disagree with globalism, a.k.a. capitalism, and will never support it with my money. I believe America should be self-supporting nation, not interdependent as Mr. Bush desperatley wishes. Whether or not my actions have an impact, who knows. But at least I will not be the prositute of the multi-national corporations.

Please post links to your favorite made in America products.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Feb 6, 2006, 12:17 PM

If you disagree with capitalism, you shouldn't buy products at all. Capitalism is based on private property, the accumulation of capital.
Secondly, go and read about the subject and then mod your life. I could recommend "The Protestant Ethic and The Spirit of Capitalism" by Max Weber. It's a simple reading and will enlighten you about what capitalism is. Once you form a clear idea about what capitalism is, you can research about globalization.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

kikkoman
Senior User
Feb 6, 2006, 02:18 PM

If your going to buy quality american made goods be expected to pay big $$$

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 02:46 PM

More of the diversionary argument. There are many globalist conspirators on this forum.
Aberdeen is that you?!

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey

So what!? The guy wants to help out his fellow Americans a little bit.....big deal.

That's the ONE reason why i don't pay any bills online. I like to think that when i put that stamp on the envelope, that just MAYBE, i'm helping Joe Smoe down the street provide for his family buy giving him a good paying job.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 6, 2006, 04:52 PM

Do you own a Mac? Do you own a computer for that matter?

Originally Posted by gumby5647
That's the ONE reason why i don't pay any bills online. I like to think that when i put that stamp on the envelope, that just MAYBE, i'm helping Joe Smoe down the street provide for his family buy giving him a good paying job.
The ironic part is that at least around here, oftentimes the online banking website was built by people in/near my city.

P.S. Wrong forum.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 04:57 PM

I think there are a few issues here that are being mixed up:

1) Global capitalism. In itself, nothing wrong. As Simey has noted, "international" trade has been occurring for thousands of years. This has led to manufacturing and transportation advances, and technology advances. Again, in itself, not a bad thing. The consequences, however, are multi-fold:

2) Pollution. Environmental costs of transporting oil have been disastrous on numerous fronts. CO2 has been output on a volume of intensity never seen before (argument of global warming contribution saved for another thread). Waste through massive use and non-use has been pretty nasty. Landfills are being shipped around looking around for buyers.

3) Beholden countries. Other countries in a less advantageous positions are indeed reliant on the global marketing and capitalist superpower that is the U.S. Whether or not this is a good thing depends on your perspective, but nevertheless, they owe the U.S. money, and are under certain terms and agreements.

Alas, I have not the time to continue, but I thought this might clarify amongst all the mudslinging and finger-pointing occurring in this thread. Please, let's continue to discuss. I challenge all of you to come to the same conclusion through conversation. Nay: I dare you all.

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey

That is about 3000 years of "globalization", but international trade certainly goes back long before then. How far back shall we take this Luddite provincial attitude? …

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 06:53 PM

Myself, I'm way too pragmatic to buy this tripe. Practically diddly is made here in the USA anymore. The quality of goods from China right now is where the quality of Japanes goods were when I was a kid(60's). I figure the Chinese will be making high quality goods in 20-30 years, by which time the USA will probably be a third world country, the way all the good jobs are leaving for overseas and American youth is failing to learn Math, Science and any semblance of global social skills.

Isolationism is not a solution, it's a disease; a terminal one.

Do youself a favor and study some history, maybe then you won't make the same mistakes made by our predecessors. Pay particular attention to events leading up to the Great Wars.

Z

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2006, 07:10 PM

I only want to buy products completely made in America, since I disagree with globalism, a.k.a. capitalism.
Muahahahahaha. F***ing brilliant.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 07:30 PM

Save your posts... As a Canadian I have been trying to Explain this to None Canadian/Americans for a long long time now. Seems only Canadians and Americans (Americans as in people from the United States of America for those silly Euro dudes) realize that America means the United States. Sigh.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules