Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Top Linux Distros?

Top Linux Distros?
SuperHans
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 07:16 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of installing Linux on an 800Mhz G4. Could anyone tell me which are the most popular PowerPC Linux distributions? I know that Yellow Dog Linux seems popular on Macs but I wondered if it was worth considering anything else.

Supplementary question: For open source Linux apps for which there isn't a binary PowerPC download available would I need to 'just' compile them from source on a Mac or would the little-endian/big-endian difference preclude this?

Regards,

Jules.

hollowflame
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 12:29 PM

I would highly recommend Ubuntu, they've got a PPC distro. I only have an ubuntu system installed on my Intel PC, but I have run the PPC on my powerbook and it seems to run great. The ubuntu install process was quick and easy and only took about 45 mins.

http://ubuntu.com

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 04:06 PM

YellowDog is a great distro and they have been in it for a long time with PPC. They were one of three available back in the latter nineties. LinuxPPC, YellowDog and MkLinux from Apple.

They are a great distro that's a little more set up for servers (although all the packaging and such are available for word processors and such).

Unbuntu is designed to be easy to install and use straight from the box. It is IMHO the best set up distro for a desktop linux to date. Try Unbuntu first and see how it goes with their live bootable disc.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 11:23 PM

Ubuntu - if you prefer GNOME by default
Kubuntu - if you prefer KDE

It is possible, however, to swap desktops once installed.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2006, 11:33 PM

Gentoo!

Alcoholica
Feb 23, 2006, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Gentoo!
Agreed.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 10:56 AM

Gentoo is also a great distribution. I'm fairly technically minded and have installed many linux versions since about 1994. Gentoo is really slick when its installed and has made a lot of improvements, but for someone's first distro and trying out linux, I still think Unbuntu or Kunbuntu has a minor leg up on the other distros.

For the original poster, the distributions mentioned ALL have their merits.

Gentoo takes longer to install (patience), but will likely be the faster for most tasks and running. It has great package management and can update its software with real ease. Its really slick once installed and would make a great performance server (or desktop), but will likely take a little more configuration than the other two mentioned below. You'll learn a little about linux while installing this distro (which is a good thing IMO).

Unbuntu has good installation of packages and updating and a desktop that by default is fairly straightforward with minimum configuration can be a useable 'desktop' os. It *can* be used for server functions, but I believe its best targetted for desktop use.

Yellowdog, is great for installation and has a long history with PPC. They have supported Linux on Macs for the longest and remained up-to-date with their packages and installation on Mac hardware.

Forum Links
Forum Rules