Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Trying to install wget

Trying to install wget
nitejrny282
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 03:26 AM

I installed the dev tools and gcc 4.0 and gcc 3.3 from the xcode tools, and darwin ports then tried to use sudo port install wget and got these errors in the terminal

---> Configuring libiconv
Error: Target com.apple.configure returned: configure failure: shell command "cd "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwi nports.org_dpupdate_dports_textproc_libiconv/work/libiconv-1.10" && MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-static --mandir=/opt/local/share/man" returned error 77
Command output: checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gettext libiconv openssl zlib
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Status 1 encountered during processing.

If none of this makes sense, I posted this at macaddict forums (http://www.macaddict.com/forums/topic/83518) and got more detail from others. thanks if you guys can give me any advice

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2006, 04:30 AM

Did you use Fink to get wget?

It looks to me that there are other packages (i.e., gettext, libiconv, openssl, and zlib) that need to be downloaded first.

Fink should have told you what other packages are needed.

Alcoholica
Jun 9, 2006, 06:46 AM

He already said that he used DarwinPorts. It's failing to build libiconv, from the looks of things.

Have you restarted since installing the Dev Tools? All I can think to try atm is changing which GCC version you use with gcc_select to 3.3.

nitejrny282  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 10:03 AM

I got it to work. I installed everypart of xcode tools and it worked. thanks for the help though

Forum Links
Forum Rules