Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [PREVIEW] 2004: An Icon Odyssey

[PREVIEW] 2004: An Icon Odyssey
Zyote
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 02:41 PM

A while back i released a set of icons based upon the movie "Fight Club". It was really good fun and so i decided on doing another movie themed set.

And so here is the obligatory teaser poster for my new set:

I hope to have this set completed in the new few weeks. And i shall be posting updates here on my progress with it. As well as news of the final completed set. The set is large collection (around 20? maybe?) items from the movie, all painstakingly recreated in photoshop using paintbrush / airbrush tools. all in a similar style to my previous Fight Club set.

Hope you guys like whats coming. hehe.

Mischa.
http://www.zyotism.com/aesthetics

Dave-o�
Senior User
Aug 24, 2004, 02:48 PM

Though many sets of icons are based off this movie, I feel that you skill and background reference should make this set stand out! Your style, skill, attention to detail in Fight Club was awesome, and this set will only be better.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
Though many sets of icons are based off this movie, I feel that you skill and background reference should make this set stand out! Your style, skill, attention to detail in Fight Club was awesome, and this set will only be better.
Thanks mate! i'm spending a lot of time on research for this set. and i hope that it will be even better than the fight club set. theres quite a bit of research material available for this movie. Although, it's sad to see that next to none of the original props and stuff used in filming have been kept in museums, most has been destroyed.

ahhwell :-/

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 04:43 PM

I'm really looking forward to this set, 2001 is filled with so much style I don't see how this could turn out bad.

What sort of elements are you focusing on? Inspiration could be taken from the distinctive utilitarian computer displays. I would love a theme based on that look.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 04:59 PM

Good thing choosing the "2004" in the subtitle. You just may need it (I know I did).

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Good thing choosing the "2004" in the subtitle. You just may need it (I know I did).
?

what do you mean?

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
I'm really looking forward to this set, 2001 is filled with so much style I don't see how this could turn out bad.

What sort of elements are you focusing on? Inspiration could be taken from the distinctive utilitarian computer displays. I would love a theme based on that look.
Well, I'm have no plans currently on doing a complete system theme right now. I'm just focusing on a collection of icons. If time (and my skill) permits, i'll do a wallpaper or two as well.

A theme could be good. Although ulimately i would imagine it to be a very hard task, as every display / computer system in the movie is very low res, single colour screen. etc. and would be computer unusable in a mac os x context. I'd love to be proven wrong though if someone were to attempt it! :-)

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Zyote:
?

what do you mean?
Oh, just a certain Metroid icon set that I've been way to busy to get done. But you didn't hear that from me.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 05:39 PM

cool idea, Zyote. Do the words "iPulse skin" mean anything to you?

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 05:42 PM

Oh, just a certain Metroid icon set that I've been way to busy to get done. But you didn't hear that from me.
I noticed on your website the metroid stuff. and that you put a copyright disclaimer for nintendo. is this what you're referring to?

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Banghazi:
cool idea, Zyote. Do the words "iPulse skin" mean anything to you?
hehe :-)

interesting! ;-) very interesting...

still. HAL is typically just the red led on the black lens. i dunno how you could incorporate other colours into the design of him.. Now the Stargate, thats another idea completely! :-)

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 06:26 PM

IIRC, the space station that Heywood Floyd's hanging out in close to the beginning of the movie was pretty unique, stylistically - lots of reds and whites. Ditto with the shuttle he rode up to the station on.

It's been a long-ass time since I've seen the movie, though. I might just be making this all up in my head.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Fat7at
Aug 24, 2004, 06:32 PM

will you be doing a whole system replacment set? folder icons apps? I think that would be awesome.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Fat7at:
will you be doing a whole system replacment set? folder icons apps? I think that would be awesome.
No, probably not. It's an awful lot of extra work to do, and i don't think there are enough metaphors for system icons in the movie.

I'll have a think, but i have doubts.

most likey, i'll do about 20+ icons, similar to my fight club set.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
IIRC, the space station that Heywood Floyd's hanging out in close to the beginning of the movie was pretty unique, stylistically - lots of reds and whites. Ditto with the shuttle he rode up to the station on.

It's been a long-ass time since I've seen the movie, though. I might just be making this all up in my head.
Yup, you remember correctly, there are a whole bunch of red couches, which were actually real couches bought off the shelf. Djinn was the name i think.

anyways, ive already started work on one of these couches. :-)

the space station itself is an interesting shape. it's like a yoyo, we'll see how easy it is to iconise! ;-)

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 06:44 PM

hehe :-)

interesting! ;-) very interesting...

still. HAL is typically just the red led on the black lens. i dunno how you could incorporate other colours into the design of him.. Now the Stargate, thats another idea completely! :-)
1280x960
<---click me (could that desktop have been a subtle hint at something?)

Someone's beaten you to it anyway.. http://www.nonsuchplace.com/ipulse/index.html

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 06:51 PM

1280x960
<---click me (could that desktop have been a subtle hint at something?)

Someone's beaten you to it anyway.. http://www.nonsuchplace.com/ipulse/index.html
hehe, thats executed very nicely isn't it?

;-)

i like that!

crooner
Senior User
Aug 28, 2004, 09:23 PM

[B]A while back i released a set of icons based upon the movie "Fight Club". It was really good fun and so i decided on doing another movie themed set.
A quick throwback to your great Fight Club set... A friend of mine pointed this out to me. How cool is this?

BTW, my first post. I've lurked in amazement for a while. You folks are great. My theming skills top out at modifying the excellent work of those far more talented than I. If I get permissions, perhaps I'll post screenies of some of my personal use mods.

And remember, The First Rule Of Fight Club is You Do Not Talk About Fight Club!

No sig yet.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2004, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by crooner:
A quick throwback to your great Fight Club set... A friend of mine pointed this out to me. How cool is this?

BTW, my first post. I've lurked in amazement for a while. You folks are great. My theming skills top out at modifying the excellent work of those far more talented than I. If I get permissions, perhaps I'll post screenies of some of my personal use mods.

No sig yet.
:-) fight club is (was!) a great film... it'll be one of my favourite films for years to come.

Stilll... 2001 is an excelllant film aswell. and i hope to do it justice with these icons.

;-p

proof will be in the pudding i guess.....

;-p

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2004, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by crooner:

No sig yet.
Actual warning displayed on the Fight Club DVD.

I've never been able to read it in its entirety before; it goes by far too quickly and you are not able to pause the DVD at that point on a standard DVD player. But it just occured to me to try it on my eMac with SnapzPro. (yeehaw it worked)

dggraphics
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 05:02 AM

Can't wait to see your icons. I have to agree, your Fight Club Icons are beautiful.

I started a HAL theme or a 2001 Theme whatever you might call it. Maybe I'll finish it one day. This is what I had so far.

Click to see

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2004, 05:20 AM

tight title-bar

is that really all there is?

dggraphics
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 06:46 AM

I did do a few basic mockups of the finder buttons

crooner
Senior User
Aug 29, 2004, 08:06 AM

Actual warning displayed on the Fight Club DVD.

I've never been able to read it in its entirety before; it goes by far too quickly and you are not able to pause the DVD at that point on a standard DVD player. But it just occured to me to try it on my eMac with SnapzPro. (yeehaw it worked)

That is FANTASTIC!
Sir.

And now back to GUI customization already in progress...

No sig yet

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by dggraphics:

JEEZUS that theme is 'n slick! It looks like what a prohibition mob boss's computer screen would've looked like (had they had computers and OS X back then).

I want it!

sayonaraML
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2004, 03:34 PM

I'm taking a look at what looks like another cool thing in this forum that's a preview and would like to make a suggestion (this probably should have been a new thread but for the life of me wasn't able to figure out how to start one from the GUI Customization Forum-dumb, huh?).
I got to say that I really get worn out by the whole idea of previews. This started with the whole BBX Omega thing (don't worry Bill-no intent on picking on you here). People for the most part are doing themes, icons, etc. because they enjoy them and no doubt also enjoy the props they receive from the mostly appreciative GUI community. It also seems like there's an element of 'hey I'm not getting paid for this so don't expect it on any specific timetable' going on. Folks like me log on, see something cool and want it based on the preview so what not stickk all of the preview stuff in one folder? Lowers expectation hopefully because people will understand that its a preview, nothing more and save the main forum for stuff that's done or so close to done that when the whining and bitching starts whoever posted the product understands.
This thought came to me after an email exchange with someone who wrote a nifty iTunes Applescript. I sent him a note with some techical difficulties, he didn't respond, I sent him ANOTHER note and he finally got back to me to say one of the reasons he didn't charge was becuase he didn't want to have any responsibility. I mean I understand but I don't understand...
Anyway-sorry for the ramble

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 03:39 PM

Quite impressive.
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 03:44 PM

*cough* *hack* *cough*

im still waiting.

dggraphics
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 04:49 PM

It's not a preview, just some old mockup I was working on for the theme contest but could not find the time to finish. You are 100% correct, I should not have posted the pictures.
If I do decide to make it into a theme I will start a new thread. I would like to apologize to Zyote for posting this in his thread.

Please ignore the theme pictures

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 05:44 PM

The monolith should be tough to make.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 06:28 PM

It's not a preview, just some old mockup I was working on for the theme contest but could not find the time to finish. You are 100% correct, I should not have posted the pictures.
If I do decide to make it into a theme I will start a new thread. I would like to apologize to Zyote for posting this in his thread.

Please ignore the theme pictures
Hehe.. yeah, i was beginning to think it was getting derailed here! :-)

well, to help it get back on track, here is another preview:

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
The monolith should be tough to make.
Actually i'm having a lot of trouble with the monolith.

I really have no idea how i'm gonna do it. see, its obviously a very narrow and tall shape. which doesn't really work well with the square boundaries and shapes of icons. also.. it's so flat, and described in the book and also in the movie as being very very black. like a blackhole, ie, no light on it. So, what happens when a user puts this icon of mine on a black background / wallpaper? they cannot see it!!

then i considered doing a crazy perspective on it, to make it fill up more of the 128x128 size. but it looked too crazy and out of context to the rest of my icons, and too far from the apple style we come to expect.

I dunno. if anyone has any ideas, i'd love to hear them!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 07:51 PM

I dunno. if anyone has any ideas, i'd love to hear them!
http://www.2001exhibit.org/arts/img/monolith.jpg

I use the above as a ref.

Use settings for 3d distort here:

Import in photoshop a tweak it further. I used the link above as a source for the textures and finished with this. I hope this helps.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 08:01 PM

http://www.2001exhibit.org/arts/img/monolith.jpg

I use the above as a ref.

Use settings for 3d distort here:

Import in photoshop a tweak it further. I used the link above as a source for the textures and finished with this. I hope this helps.

ooo, thanks for that! i never considered experimenting in 3d first to find the angle. Still.. i really would prefer it if i could do this icon straight on. A lot of shots in the movie were very straight and centred and clean. and i try to stick to the desk / shelf perspectives if and when possible.

Still, i think i'll fire this up in illustrator for a play.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 08:15 PM

Is this perspective good?

[edit: I chose an angle that could fit it better in the 128x128 size. If it were flat then the sides would be too small, IMHO]
( Last edited by demograph68; Aug 29, 2004 at 08:58 PM. )

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 08:20 PM

Is this perspective good?
it's probably more like what i'm after.. although, it's not a normal view of the monolith. you're viewing it from undrneath there. the monolith needs to be standing upright. as that is the "main" position its normally in. you could flip it around i guess and do the same view from the top. but that still doesn't feel right.

I guess i'll have to make a decision one way or the other. thanks for all you ideas and work on it.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 08:31 PM

Well you could include a few angles, it is the main object of the film after-all.

Oh, by the way, are you planning on doing some of the apes with bones in their hands? I always love another ape icon.

That pod is sweet by the way.

I've just thought, an Adium message view could be pretty cool based on 2001.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
Well you could include a few angles, it is the main object of the film after-all.

Oh, by the way, are you planning on doing some of the apes with bones in their hands? I always love another ape icon.

That pod is sweet by the way.

I've just thought, an Adium message view could be pretty cool based on 2001.

Im not sure about the ape idea yet. i'm not so great at illustration animals yet. but i do think it would be a nice one to do.

I'll most probably just stick to the icons plus maybe a desktop or two for now.

and i'm glad you liked the pod.. im pretty chuffed with it myself!!

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2004, 10:01 PM

love that evo pod, and that theme screenie

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 02:02 AM

Wasn't there a pretty cool view of the monolith floating horizontally in front of Jupiter? That might be a cool view for an icon.

IIRC from the books, the proportions of the sides of the monolith are 1:4:9, the squares of the first three integers. So, for example, if the length of the smallest side is 20 pixels, the lengths of the other two dimensions are automatically 80 and 180 pixels.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
IIRC from the books, the proportions of the sides of the monolith are 1:4:9, the squares of the first three integers. So, for example, if the length of the smallest side is 20 pixels, the lengths of the other two dimensions are automatically 80 and 180 pixels.
No one says for it to be that perfect!

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2004, 05:59 AM

Wow.

regarding the monolith, I think dramatic dimensions (similar to standing on top and looking straight down the thing) would give a feeling of intensity that would fit the bill for this project, but that's just my opinion.

Zyote, why don't you just mock it up and see if we can't make some good suggestions if you're really having that much trouble with it..

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2004, 06:04 AM

Wow.

regarding the monolith, I think dramatic dimensions (similar to standing on top and looking straight down the thing) would give a feeling of intensity that would fit the bill for this project, but that's just my opinion.

Zyote, why don't you just mock it up and see if we can't make some good suggestions if you're really having that much trouble with it..
Okay, i will have a go at the monolith today then. I've been working on the Djinn one-seater chair (those pink/red chairs) at the moment. But i can put that aside.

glad you like the pod! ;-p

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 06:10 AM

Don't get me wrong. I encourage you to take your time. Your icons are amazing! (understatement)

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2004, 02:27 PM

update:

Heres another icon from the set.

This is a few of the photos that Dr. Floyd reviews as they travel to the excavation site on the moon.

This icon isn't a favourite of mine, as it's not a strong image from the film. but i can assure you that the other icons will be coming soon. :-)

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2004, 04:15 PM

out of curiousity, Zyote,

is this going to be a full-fledged iContainer, or just a bunch of random icons reminiscent of the movie like the Fight Club set? also, have you done anything else besides Fight Club?

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2004, 04:49 PM

out of curiousity, Zyote,

is this going to be a full-fledged iContainer, or just a bunch of random icons reminiscent of the movie like the Fight Club set? also, have you done anything else besides Fight Club?

this is another "bunch of random icons"

one day i'll have the courage to do a propper system icon set like dave brasgalla's Matrix set. but not that set anyhow.

I haven't officially released anything else since the fight club set. Although, you can see more of my work in the "the icon thread" on this forum here.

;-)

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 07:13 PM

Dude the map is awesome pleasure to have you back zyote!

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
Dude the map is awesome pleasure to have you back zyote!
Thanks! it's great to be back on here with other icon people.

i don't really know any "real world" icon people. so it's nice to be able to show off my work to apreciative people that value the effort required and such. :-)

There is a couple of problems with this map icon. the perspective is a little odd i think, and the chart beneath is a bit too tight with the one above.. i think i should have rotated it a bit more. but rotating shapes on a weird perspective is really hard i find.

anyway, this was actually the first icon i did for 2001, so if it bothers me too much i guess i can revise it for the release.

Cheers.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 07:27 PM

Actually i think the perspective is ok, i mean you could revise it if you want to... but it looks fine from here!

Forum Links
Forum Rules