Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G3 ibook optical drive upgrade problem

G3 ibook optical drive upgrade problem
tomdowler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 11:30 AM

I have an iBook G3 700 Mhz (Dual USB), which previously contained a plain tray load cd-rom as standard. I recently purchased a slot load combo drive (Matsushita CW-8123) and I have now installed it, however my iBook does not recognise it. When I boot it seems power is getting to the combo drive as it makes startup-sounding noises. System profiler does not show the drive as existing.
I *think* from what I’ve read elsewhere that this is a master/slave issue. The drive came from a powerbook that had 2 IDE channels and is therefore ‘hard-wired’ in master mode. The iBook, however only has one channel and the hard drive’s already set as master.
There seems no easy way to put the drive into slave mode (no switch/jumper, for example).
So my options seem to be either to find a way to make the combo drive slave or leave the combo as master and whack a jumper pin on the hard drive to make it slave.
So my two questions are:
a) anyone know how to make the CW-8123 the slave
b) will I have any boot problems (OS 10.2.8) with the hard drive as slave?

Thanks
Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules