Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Arafat had a heart attack

Arafat had a heart attack
clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 10:35 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Sto...058298,00.html

Yasser Arafat has suffered a mild heart attack but the Palestinian leadership has sought to keep his health problems secret for fear it will "create panic".

If Arafat dies, I wonder how many will see it as a Mossad or CIA assassination?

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
[url]If Arafat dies, I wonder how many will see it as a Mossad or CIA assassination?
It depends on if they find the fragments from the firecrackers.

</tasteless humor>

BG

ambush
Banned
Oct 7, 2003, 10:53 PM

Yasser Arafat has suffered a mild heart attack but the Palestinian leadership has sought to keep his health problems secret for fear it will "create panic".

Please don't underestimate the Mossad and the CIA. You have *no idea* how powerful they are. No idea.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2003, 11:22 PM

no idea.

none.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
It depends on if they find the fragments from the firecrackers.
This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Meneldil
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 11:26 PM

In terms of an assassination, there are plenty of ways to induce a heart attack- and really, that's the way I would go if I were trying to kill him. Think of what would happen if it was obvious Mossad did it.
--

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 7, 2003, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Meneldil:
Think of what would happen if it was obvious Mossad did it.
The same thing the Arab 'street' and Palestinian terrorists would do whether he lives or dies: whine, moan, complain, and blow up women and babies. Arafat's natural death or his well-deserved assassination would change nothing.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 7, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Please don't underestimate the Mossad and the CIA. You have *no idea* how powerful they are. No idea.
You mean all those times the CIA tried to whack Castro? hah. They didn't look real powerful there.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2003, 11:50 PM

I would argue that the Mossad is infinitely more powerful than the CIA. The CIA at least answers to Congress (even through they've found ways around that in the past). The Mossad answers to no one.

I already suspect Mossad involvement. Given the number of time they've already tried to assasinate Arafat, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that this was simply the latest stroke (no pun intended) of luck for Arafat.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2003, 12:02 AM

Many people die of "Heart Attacks".

Several forms of cancer can result in it. So can some blood disorders, complications with medications (which could in theory be poison).

My father's uncle died of "Heart Failure", from what was really his liver failing due to some bad medication.

His death certificate said "Heart Failure"... but that wasn't the initial cause.

That goes back to .... "nobody died from cancer". It's true, cancer never killed anyone. People die of complications of cancer. Heart attacks, viruses, infections, pneumonia.

SO it's very possible to use an assisination like this. It would be a very good way to do it.

The article itself sounds a bit bogus (as if the Guardian is a reputable source). He didn't appear that weaker than usual in the video I saw. Don't see other reports that match this.

Secondly, why would he have to leave. Medical aid could be brought to him for the most part.

This article sounds like mostly suspician, and partly just trying to setup Israel a bit.

If it was legitimate, this would be everywhere.

Now what's it going to take for Sharon to get a severe stroke, leaving him as a veggie... to rot. If that happens, and this is true there may be a roadmap. One can hope.

quandarry
Oct 8, 2003, 03:38 AM

wasn't it the c.i.a. who tried the exploding cigar thing on castro...hehe...

the c.i.a. has become a bunch of bumbling bureaucrats...think keystone cops!

AutoJC
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 02:00 PM

Arafat should know better than to try to **** camels at the age of 74.

That's what they are really trying to hide from the public.
AutoJC

Pure Democracy Is Collectivist Mob Rule-
Capitalism.org

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:28 PM

His people are now denying the charges. (And what's with "it's only at that Guardian" -- try Google News) However everyone admits that his health is not good.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2003, 08:03 PM

His people are now denying the charges. (And what's with "it's only at that Guardian" -- try Google News) However everyone admits that his health is not good.
He has Parkinson's. that's well known.

Problem is the disease has it's ups and downs. Someone with moderate stages can look like they will die in 24 hours, and be fine a few days later. The pope is a good example. He gets weak, then he looks stronger, then weak again... and it slowly goes down hill until they die.

Sadly, their minds are sharp as ever. It's a real sad disease, becuase they watch their bodies die. It's not like a disease where everything goes. You can be sharp as a whip, and look dead.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 9, 2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by Uday's Carcass:
The same thing the Arab 'street' and Palestinian terrorists would do whether he lives or dies: whine, moan, complain, and blow up women and babies. Arafat's natural death or his well-deserved assassination would change nothing.
I don't wish death on either Arafat or Sharon, but I will say that the middle east peace process probably would go quite a bit smoother if neither of them was involved.

The only real problem here is the power vacuum that would be left in the PA. Is there anyone else who could legitimately take over and have the support of the people?
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2003, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by moki:
I don't wish death on either Arafat or Sharon, but I will say that the middle east peace process probably would go quite a bit smoother if neither of them was involved.
I do... I've said it before, and I will say it again.

The best thing that could happen is all military/political leaders on both sides have a meeting in 1 room, and the building is blown up, and the rubble is burnt and burried.

It would save lives.

They could use Palestinian Bomb Belts wrapped around Israeli missles to do the bombing... then Israeli bulldozers to fill in the hole. That's good teamwork.

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 12:25 AM

eklipse
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:

The best thing that could happen is all military/political leaders on both sides have a meeting in 1 room, and the building is blown up, and the rubble is burnt and burried.

It would save lives.

They could use Palestinian Bomb Belts wrapped around Israeli missles to do the bombing... then Israeli bulldozers to fill in the hole. That's good teamwork.

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 12:34 PM

i hope arafat kicks the bucket soon. perhaps then progress can be made and Israel can be more secure.
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 12:56 PM

Did any of you catch that WSJ article on the real Arafat? Here's the old thread about it.

I won't repost the text b/c it's long. Basically, the KGB created Arafat. He's a fraud, a terrorist, and a crook. He's rich and gets richer while the Palestinians starve and live in poverty. He exploits them and steals their money.

This guy is a loser. No wonder progress is so stalled. It serves his interests to continue the conflict and stay in power.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Jacket:
perhaps then progress can be made and Israel can be more secure.
Progress with or without Arafat is not going to happen.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 01:02 PM

Basically, the KGB created Arafat. He's a fraud, a terrorist, and a crook. He's rich and gets richer while the Palestinians starve and live in poverty. He exploits them and steals their money.

This guy is a loser. No wonder progress is so stalled. It serves his interests to continue the conflict and stay in power.
Yeah, I mean look at all those ravish things he has brought with that money. A nice state of the art building where he does all his conniving-the bullet holes and half collapsed ceilings are all part of the 'design'. He is also known to spend it on holiday visits to remote islands every weekend as well.

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Yeah, I mean look at all those ravish things he has brought with that money. A nice state of the art building where he does all his conniving-the bullet holes and half collapsed ceilings are all part of the 'design'. He is also known to spend it on holiday visits to remote islands every weekend as well.
Just part of the image. Yet you don't deny that he's rich. It's common knowledge and well-documented that he's rolling in loot.

He's a loser and terrible for the Palestinian cause, plain and simple.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 01:20 PM

Just part of the image. Yet you don't deny that he's rich. It's common knowledge and well-documented that he's rolling in loot.
Part of the image? what's he doing with all the money he apparently has? if the news reports are true he'll be dead soon anyway. Kind of a waste isn't it?!

He's a loser and terrible for the Palestinian cause, plain and simple.
Probably true, but the Palestinians don't agree with you. And Arafat is their leader after all.

eklipse
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 01:23 PM

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 01:27 PM

hahah!

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by eklipse:
Sharon ain't doin' much better
ROFLMAO!

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 10, 2003, 01:46 PM

You're missing his wife's frequent shopping sprees in Europe, and his children globe-trotting as well. The fact is, there is no accounting of the money that goes into the PA.

from: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...185141225.html

Arafat said to be wiring millions to Europe

July 15 2002

Senior Palestinian officials, including Yasser Arafat, have reportedly transferred tens of millions of dollars to personal European bank accounts for their use if the Palestinian Authority collapses.

The claim is made in a report forwarded to Washington by Israel, but snippets have appeared in Arabic newspapers published in Jordan and France and in the Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth, which yesterday reported that Mr Arafat recently transferred $US5.1million ($9.1million) in aid money from Saudi Arabia to his private bank account in Paris for the benefit of his wife, Suha, and his daughter, Zahawa, who live there.

His deputy, Mahmoud Abbas, also known as Abu Mazen, allegedly moved $US70million to various European bank accounts, reportedly in the name of his brother, a rich businessman with interests in the Arab Gulf states.

There are also claims that Mr Arafat has been paying excessively high salaries to some of his aides, including his spokesman, Marwan Kanafani, who is said to be receiving $US40,000 a month

Israel's leaking of such claims appears to be aimed at damaging Mr Arafat's international standing and as a justification for withholding about $US500million in tax revenues it has collected on behalf of the Palestinian Authority.

Before the start of the second Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation in September 2000 such funds were reimbursed to the authority. But

Israel claims that its military raids in the West Bank this year uncovered evidence, including papers signed by Mr Arafat, directly implicating the Palestinian Authority in terrorism.

The Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon, has sent word to Washington that Israel will not turn over the money until the Palestinian security forces, which he says are "infected with terrorism", are disbanded.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 10, 2003, 01:50 PM

It would save lives.

Sadly, you're probably correct.

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 02:27 PM

Progress with or without Arafat is not going to happen.
things should be a lot easier with him gone.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2003, 02:30 PM

things should be a lot easier with him gone.
Sharon would still be around, and that means that things won't change.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
Sharon would still be around, and that means that things won't change.
he's showing some backbone now... i say he should be driving the terrorists out!

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2003, 02:36 PM

he's showing some backbone now... i say he should be driving the terrorists out!
So you think that his actions have made the Israel safer???

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 03:13 PM

Weakness only invites more terror. Taking no military action would be worse.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2003, 03:16 PM

So you mean that the USA is weaker(or rather was) than they have ever been because of 9/11?

Interesting theory..........

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2003, 03:25 PM

Your right it would be worse. There could be peace.

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 03:28 PM

So you mean that the USA is weaker(or rather was) than they have ever been because of 9/11?

Interesting theory..........
no. Taking attacks and not doing anything to militarily fight the terrorists is weakness. Also, appearing weak invites attacks.

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 03:29 PM

you infidels misunderstand.
If attacked, no military action to fight the terrorists is weakness. Weakness invites more terrorism.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2003, 03:36 PM

you infidels misunderstand.
If attacked, no military action to fight the terrorists is weakness. Weakness invites more terrorism.
Everytime Israel slows down... so does the terrorism. Even Sharon said that. Then the very next day, he ordered several attacks.

The one time they attempted a few arrests, it slowed down for quite a while.

Yea... your right. Peace would be a bad thing.

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 03:49 PM

Everytime Israel slows down... so does the terrorism.
I've never noticed that trend.
Even Sharon said that.
and you'll produce legit source quotes on that when pigs fly and hell freezes over. Take your Jihad Newsletter crap somewhere else, Robert.
Yea... your right. Peace would be a bad thing.
stop stretching my words. Peace is good, but nothing Israel does will stop Hamas and other terrorists. There has to be change within Palestinian society whereby they fundamentally choose to crush terrorism and its supporters.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 10, 2003, 04:05 PM

The odd thing is, Sharon is doing what the majority of the people in his country want. The majority of Israelis are disgusted with the suicide bombings that target innocent civilians, and they want them ended. At any cost.

Even though the US is painted as the "bad guy" by much of the Arab world for its relationship with Israel, the Bush administration has been leaning hard on Israel to no take the gloves off and bring the military full-bore on the Palestinian militants.

Let's face it, if Israel used the same tactics the Palestinians used -- intentionally targeting men, women, children, whomever -- with the Israel military superiority, it would just be an utter bloodbath.

Let's hope the situation never gets that far, and that the leash Sharon et al. are on isn't let go of.

petehammer
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 04:15 PM

Peace is good, but nothing Israel does will stop Hamas and other terrorists.
Huh? So why do they do anything? Isn't your entire argument that "force prevents terrorism"? How can that be true if you also state Israel's force is doing nothing to stop terrorists?

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 05:18 PM

you can't have peace by sitting on your ass doing nothing when a bunch of hateful terrorists (some call them Palestinians) only want to kill the Jews.

peace comes by removing the terrorist element.

petehammer
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 05:32 PM

you can't have peace by sitting on your ass doing nothing when a bunch of hateful terrorists (some call them Palestinians) only want to kill the Jews.

peace comes by removing the terrorist element.
Wow.

What about a bunch of hateful jews who only want to kill the arabs? It's a two way street.

Obviously, not all jews or all arabs live to hate. But there are groups of both who do, and they will continue to want to destroy eachother. I am able to recognize the situation for what it is, why are you turning a blind eye toward the fact that certain Israelis are killing Palestinians?

-p

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by petehammer:
Huh? So why do they do anything? Isn't your entire argument that "force prevents terrorism"? How can that be true if you also state Israel's force is doing nothing to stop terrorists?
you misunderstand. Force doesn't not prevent terrorism, but lacking strength and having an image of weakness only encourages it further. Clear enough?

Forum Links
Forum Rules