Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari alternative

Safari alternative
Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2008, 01:02 PM

Hello all, I was just wondering if there is an alternative to Safari for surfing the net, and if so please include links.

Thanks

Abdulah

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2008, 01:08 PM

Firefox and Camino are good. What are you looking for that Safari does not provide?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 01:22 PM

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2008, 01:23 PM

Just like to try new things, and learn more about the Mac as I am going along

Abdulah

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2008, 01:58 PM

I use Firefox only for weirdo sites like hotmail, which doesn't allow Safari to access.

Thinking of it, I haven't used hotmail for a while.

Apart from some weird crashes with Safari recently, I'm very pleased with the browser.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2008, 02:24 PM

If I could get ad-block and mouse gestures for Safari I would be sold. As is, both are quite tedious.

Cold Warrior
Jan 26, 2008, 02:40 PM

SafariBlock works great. I'm using it for Safari 3 on Leopard and don't notice a speed or stability hit.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 02:52 PM

iCab, the need for speed reigns here.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008, 02:56 PM

The fastest browser on the Mac is probably Omniweb, but it costs $14.95. Well worth the money IMO. Omniweb
My Blog-pakos.me

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008, 04:18 PM

Macanoid
Senior User
Jan 26, 2008, 05:21 PM

I bought Omniweb a while ago, and it used to be my main browser until recently. Thing is, as much as I love the features and how it looks, it uses too many resources and too much ram, plus it doesn't have find-as-you-type, which is essential for me. As for Safari, it suffers the same problems as other webkit browsers - it's unbelievable ram-hungry, which is a shame as Safari 'feels' great.

So, all this led me too try out Camino again after so many years, and you know what, it great. Faster than Safari, light of resourses and ram*, and enough customizability option to make it my own. As of 1.5.4 I think's Camino's really great, and the features for the soon-to-be-released 1.6 look nice as well. I'd say, give it a try!

btw - I did try iCab as well, and as nice as it is, I found it too resource hungry as well.

*Safari and OmniWeb can easily gobble up +300mb ram, whereas Camino rarely goes over 100mb!

dzp111
Senior User
Jan 26, 2008, 09:45 PM

I'm giving FLOCK a try (find it on macupdate). It's looking good.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008, 10:11 PM

Safari 3 with pithhelmet is way faster than anything else I've tried (pretty much everything). I only really use firefox if I'm on a site that is poorly coded and doesn't work in safari (very rarely).

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008, 10:36 PM

I'm not sure if Safari 3 for Mac is virtually the same as for Windows (which, sadly, is what I'm using for the moment), but I love Safari for most browsing.

But as has been mentioned before, there are some sites that just don't work properly with Safari. For that, there's Firefox.

I'll have to try Camino once I get my MBP...I've heard a lot about it.

EDIT: Actually, I've sent quite a few "feature requests" for Safari on Windows, like the issues with window sizes not remaining the same across sessions, not being able to have links open in a new tab in the same window with just one click, etc., but Safari is very elegant and I do enjoy using it.

EDIT #2: I do realize there's an option in the "General" area of the prefs pertaining to opening "links in new applications" in a new tab, but it seems that most any links I click on end up in a new window regardless of what preferences I choose. I guess I'm lazy and used to Firefox's behavior where I never get an entirely new window each link-click unless it is explicitly a popup (i.e., small-ish window) window. I just can't get used to the "Ctrl+Click" schema.
( Last edited by harbinger75; Jan 26, 2008 at 10:44 PM. )
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2008, 05:50 PM

I'd definitely try Firefox 3 beta with the Mac skin. I've gone from "I can't do without Firefox, but I hate it" to "Hey! Pretty snappy!".

Many of the extensions for the beta have not been updated, but greasemonkey is, and so is scrapbook. My two most used extensions.

dzp111
Senior User
Jan 29, 2008, 06:29 PM

Well I've been trying FLOCK for a few days now, and speed-wise it blows all other browsers out of the water. Its GUI's a little bulky at first but with some tweaking it's looking and feeling pretty good.

FLOCK
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules