Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to make Mac OS X 10.5.8 default to duplex printing...need help!

How to make Mac OS X 10.5.8 default to duplex printing...need help!
egadsby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2010, 05:41 PM

We have a problem in our new building that’s been causing us a lot of pain. College policy dictates that all printers must default to duplex. We are running 10.5.8 and we can't seem to set this as the default for all users. Right now we have the following printers:

-2 HP P4015's
-1 HP Color 4700
-1 HP P3500

All have enabled duplexes. Right now they are managed via WGM. We have tried creating a Preset for duplexing with the checked box but the setting doesn't seem to stick after coping it to System/Library/UserTemplate/English.lproj.

This seems like a very simple thing to do but it's got us stuck. We've tried all sorts of things including nasty CUPS hacks that broke the whole printing subsystem. We need to get this fixed soon and ideally would like to keep using WGM but that is not a must. The students are very upset with us about this issue. Thanks!
Peace, Love, & Understanding,
Eric Thomas Gadsby
Goucher College’s Departments of Art and Science
[email protected]

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2010, 03:35 PM

Duplex Printing - Mac OS X

Please let me know if it works.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

pixelator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2010, 12:39 AM

I have the exact same problem on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8., on my Mac Pro Desktop. (I am not affiliated with egadsby) I am using a HP Color LaserJet CM2320fxi MFP. This printer supports duplex printing - I print duplex all the time - but I have to always activate it.

Greg, the "Duplex Printing - Mac OS X" solution does not work. I have already tried it five times. The two-sided printing option does not stick. I can follow those instructions, create a new preset, etc. But - when I activate the preset (or if I use it as the default preset), the two-sided printing option simply deactivates itself, automatically. There does not seem to be a way for the two-sided printing option to stick with any preset.

Frustrating... I am stuck with having to specify duplex printing each time I print. I always want to print duplex, so this is slowing me down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules