Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Earlier PowerBooks

Earlier PowerBooks
AmericanPsych0
Sep 26, 2004, 01:50 PM

I was just wondering how the old Rev. A PowerBooks are. Not necessarily in comparison to the current PowerBook line, but in general. I've got my eye on a 15" PowerBook Rev. A (at least I think that's what it was. The one released in '02, 867MHz, etc.), but am hesitant to purchase something two years old. It's a good price though (I've done some research on that much), but I have no idea whether they have any glaring issues that might turn me off.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh, and would this be compatible with that amazing deal at Fry's?
( Last edited by AmericanPsych0; Sep 26, 2004 at 01:56 PM. )
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 01:56 PM

How much is it? Because those old rev. A Titanium PowerBooks are quite slow. They have a Rage 128 graphics card, not a Radeon, so they can't do Quartz Extreme. That slows them down a lot in OS X. They also have a few design flaws that were ironed out in the more recent revisions. They're prone to bubbling or chipping paint due to the very high temperatures, and the keyboard can leave marks on the screen unlike the new ones. They're not worth much, maybe $500-$700, depending on how well loaded they are.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

AmericanPsych0  (op)
Sep 26, 2004, 02:07 PM

$1200

PowerBook
15.2" screen
867MHz PowerPC G4
256MB RAM
32MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
40GB HDD
The guy upgraded most of the software, so it runs Panther, iLife '04, and MS Office '04.
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2004, 03:07 PM

that is actually a rev. d tibook. pretty decent machine.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

AmericanPsych0  (op)
Sep 26, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by EdipisReks:
that is actually a rev. d tibook.
Haha, thanks. I wasn't sure I got it right when I said Rev. A and Luca frowned on the Rage 128. I was like, "Wait, what?"

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 03:23 PM

That's a fairly good price... not amazing though. The brand new, low end PowerBook 15" is $400 more, but you get better components all around. 500 MHz faster, double the VRAM on a newer and more advanced video card, larger hard drive, bluetooth and 802.11g standard (no PC card nub sticking out of the side, those look dumb), and of course the nice new enclosure and new tech like Firewire 800 and USB 2.

$1200 isn't a total rip off, but if I were looking for a really good deal I'd probably keep looking.

AmericanPsych0  (op)
Sep 26, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
... and of course the nice new enclosure and new tech like Firewire 800 and USB 2.
The TiBooks don't come with USB 2.0?

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
$1200 isn't a total rip off, but if I were looking for a really good deal I'd probably keep looking.
I haven't been able to beat it yet. *Shrugs*

Halfloaf
Sep 26, 2004, 05:47 PM

Nope, Only USB 1.1.

On the price, I'd say rather get something that has a bit more bite, The spec of the TiBook you're getting is going to require a bit of upgarding if you're thinking of keeping it for 10.4. (I'd say min. 512 mb ram, 5400 rpm drive....and the 32mb video ram is going to struggle)

I don't think you should be paying more than a $1000 for that machine...$1100 is pushing it. Is the software legit?

Why not try and buy a better Powerbook and buy a copy of Office v.X? There is nothing wrong with it.

Just my 2c.

I have a 1ghz Tibook with 512mb ram, 64mb video ram and the stock 60 gig HD, and I'm thinking my machine is too slow for the software I'm running...(CAD mostly, lots of OpenGL)

I suspect come 10.4 I'll need to upgarde to a new machine or stick in a new HD and more ram.

Good luck though! Hope you get the right machine for your needs!

-HL

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 06:03 PM

Oh yeah and it's not compatible with that RAM at Fry's. That's DDR, the TiBooks use SDR.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 06:20 PM

I say get the Rev. A Albook instead of the Ti if you are going to be spending that money.
iamwhor3hay

AmericanPsych0  (op)
Sep 30, 2004, 07:27 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I ended up holding out on this PowerBook and ran into an 867MHz Rev. A AlBook for $1,030. Thanks again!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by AmericanPsych0:
$1200

The guy upgraded most of the software, so it runs Panther, iLife '04, and MS Office '04.
you know something that this would be very good for deleting the software and installing just the original "package" software and keeping the license to the $500 worth of software on the machine and selling it for like 900-1000.

Forum Links
Forum Rules