Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pentium M vs. Core Solo

Pentium M vs. Core Solo
alligator
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2006, 10:40 PM

What exactly is the difference between a Pentium M and a core solo chip? Are they the same thing, or is one faster? Why does my new work-supplied Dell laptop have a Pentium M, and the new MacBook Pros have core duos? Why not dual Pentium M's?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2006, 11:55 PM

Core Solo is basically an updated version of the Pentium M, so I'd guess it'd be a bit faster. As for why to put a Core Duo instead of two Pentium Ms, well, the fact that the Core Duo is dual-core is what allows a dual-processor like configuration to work in a laptop at all. Otherwise, it would be way too hot and use up too much space. Also, a dual-core chip is probably quite cheaper than two single-core ones...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2006, 01:10 AM

Intel is killing the Pentium branding in favor of the Core branding. Same chips new name. Well same ideas, few different things. There's probably some Pentium Ms that are faster than some Core Solos, and some Core Solos are faster than some older Pentium Ms.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 26, 2006, 10:24 AM

Salty,

Not so.

The Pentium M is a Pentium 3 that has been used instead of power hungry P4, but has the common P4 extensions tacked on (SSE SSE2 SSE3)

Core Solo and Core Duo are based on Pentium M (in turn based on P3 and Pentium Pro) and what this tells us is that (a) there won't be any Pentium M that are faster than Core Solo,

and (b) that P4 is a dead end- Core Solo and Core Duo on the desktop are the way of the future. Why? Cooling, and better performance at lower mhz/ghz, meaning easier to produce/higher yield.

Intel realized they were hitting the wall just as IBM did trying to get G5 higher than 3ghz, just as AMD was using their own 'Megahertz Myth' means of branding.

A Core Duo at 2.0ghz beats a Pentium D 830 at 3.0ghz at gaming and every 3dsmax test I can find results for.

Intel claims current Core Duo (yonah) will be beaten 2-1 on a performance per watt basis by Merom, it's successor chip.

To answer the original poster, Core Duo -is- dual Pentium M, in one processor.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2006, 10:28 AM

Okay, but why do I have a Pentium M 2.0 GHz in my dell laptop, and Intel also sells the Core Solo for other computers? Why not just have one processor if they are the same?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2006, 10:40 AM

Because vendors/manufactures have to use up their stock piles of Pentium Ms. Dell, HP, etc due sell the Core Solo/Core Duo but they have billions* (well, maybe not that many) of these holder Ms and Celerons to use up. The celerons will be around for a while as they allow them to sell $399 laptops. The Ms will slowly disappear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules