Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's The Classical Music Used In The "Smart Balance" TV Spot?

What's The Classical Music Used In The "Smart Balance" TV Spot?
marden
Baninated
Sep 15, 2006, 09:28 PM

What's The Classical Music Piece Used In The "Smart Balance" TV Spot?

The one where the Smart Balance spread is being used in the restaurant kitchen and concludes with all the cooks and chefs sitting down together to eat.

I checked Google and the site Smart Balance but the spot is nowhere to be found. But even if that particular commercial was found, what I'm really hoping to locate is the name of that piece.

It is sprightly and invigorating, features mostly strings and sounds like it might be Mozart.

Thanks in advance.
( Last edited by marden; Sep 15, 2006 at 09:35 PM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 09:37 PM

I haven't seen the ad (and probably won't anytime soon since I don't have a TV), but if you tape the commercial with some sort of audio recorder and post an audio file, and I'll probably be able to tell you what it is.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 15, 2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I haven't seen the ad (and probably won't anytime soon since I don't have a TV), but if you tape the commercial with some sort of audio recorder and post an audio file, and I'll probably be able to tell you what it is.
I've been searching for it ever since I posted and I've heard so much music I'd need to hear the commercial again to be sure of what the song actually sounds like, but having said that, I think I've found it.

I think it is Vivaldi. But I'll have to record it, as you suggest.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 10:34 PM

Hard tellin not knowin'.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 29, 2006, 09:10 AM

d4 - g - b - d5 - d5 - d5 - d5 - f# - g - c - c - b - b - a

Does this help anyone to recognize the piece?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2006, 11:18 AM

are you saying that the piece is in a minor key? because your using small letters which = minor in music type

the piece might be in C with a #4 because of the f#, so perhaps it's in c lydian? anyways, hehe

good luck with your search

Alex

PS
this thread is the 2nd hit in google for smart balance comercial search

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 29, 2006, 12:03 PM

D4 - G - B - D5 - D5 - D5 - D5 - F# - G - C - C - B - B - A

Thanks.

I just heard it on TV and pulled out Garageband to reproduce the sound from memory and then drew back from my grade school music every good boy deserves fudge & face and cdefgabc basic knowledge.

I wonder why the Smart Balance people aren't putting any effort into enhancing their advertising dollars by providing online info about their latest TV spot?

Who is their ad agency?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2006, 02:12 PM

Could you post the audio from the GarageBand project you made?

Of course, I'd have a better chance of recognizing it if I could hear the original audio clip (getting the instrumentation, orchestration, style, etc.), but maybe it'll be better than nothing.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2006, 02:45 PM

Looking at marden's transcription, it looks a bit like Boccherini's famous minuet. I haven't seen the ad though.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
are you saying that the piece is in a minor key? because your using small letters which = minor in music type

the piece might be in C with a #4 because of the f#, so perhaps it's in c lydian? anyways, hehe

good luck with your search

Alex

PS
this thread is the 2nd hit in google for smart balance comercial search

C lydian is not a key, it's the fourth mode of the key of C, and to jazz musicians it is essentially a kind of sound generated from this series of notes, played in any particular order starting on any particular scale degree.

The F# is probably the 3rd of the D7 cadence, meaning it is a 5 -> 1 back to G, and it might modulate to C major or A minor...

I can sight sing the pitches more or less, but I don't know what piece it belongs to without any rhythm.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
C lydian is not a key,
No? What about A minor or E minor? Keys?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
No? What about A minor or E minor? Keys?

Usually most periods of classical music begin on the strong notes of a chord within a given key center. Starting a phrase on a D would not reallly suggets that the phrase is in the key of A or E minor, as this would be the 4 and the flat 7 of the chords, respecfully...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2006, 04:25 PM

we havent heard the piece yet. we still dont know if this is the middle of the piece or the start....

Alex

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 1, 2006, 05:49 AM

I just saw the Google listing and if there is anyone online who knows the answer to this please register here at MacNN and post the answer. Or else start a thread at your own online forum with the appropriate thread title and it will show up on Google when I do a search and I'll find your answer that way.

Thanks!

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 1, 2006, 05:50 AM

Smart Balance sucks. (Actually it tastes pretty good, but I'm trying to get their attention. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2006, 02:06 PM

marden, please record the ad and post a sound clip so we can hear it for ourselves and maybe tell you what it is. If you don't do this, you will let the terrorists win.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 1, 2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
marden, please record the ad and post a sound clip so we can hear it for ourselves and maybe tell you what it is.
Fixed.
( Last edited by marden; Oct 1, 2006 at 03:03 PM. )

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2006, 08:41 PM

Try the 4th movment of Mozart's Eine kleine Nachtmusik.

Amazon.com: Mozart: Eine kleine Nachtmusik; Overtures: Music: Bruno Walter,Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart,Columbia Symphony Orchestra

listen there. You're all welcome

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 1, 2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4
Try the 4th movment of Mozart's Eine kleine Nachtmusik.

Amazon.com: Mozart: Eine kleine Nachtmusik; Overtures: Music: Bruno Walter,Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart,Columbia Symphony Orchestra

listen there. You're all welcome
THAT'S IT!!!!!

CollinG3G4, your music recognition skill is AWESOME!

You are DA MAN!!!!

Thank you, indeed!

marden  (op)
Baninated
Oct 1, 2006, 11:40 PM

Everyone else, thanks for trying. It's appreciated!

Forum Links
Forum Rules