Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I get 1gb or 2x512mb RAM?

Should I get 1gb or 2x512mb RAM?
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Feb 5, 2007, 03:52 AM

I need a RAM upgrade, and I can only afford 1gb for now. I was thinking of getting a 1gb stick for now, and pair it up later. But, the 'Book will perform better with matched pairs, so would it be worth it getting 2x512mb?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

pcguy1
Feb 5, 2007, 09:30 AM

Get 1 gb now and suffer a "little" bit for a few month until u can afford to purchase a second stick to make it a match pair, is better to suffer a bit now then to waste money or suffer forever with a non match set later on.
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Feb 5, 2007, 11:11 AM

That's what I am thinking... Would there be that much "suffering" even? Wouldn't the extra RAM (1.25 vs 1) outweight the performance drop?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Feb 7, 2007, 02:13 PM

Bump.

When the MacBook has unmatched pairs of RAM, it will use only one stick until it is "full", then use the other stick afterwards. How will this affect performance in simple programs such as browsers, watching videos, and with more hardcore programs such as Photoshop?

Can someone give me a little more info? Does anyone have any unmatched RAM?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 02:47 PM

In normal use there's no noticeable difference. You're talking about shaving fractions of a second every now and again. Of course, if you do a lot of heavy lifting, that adds up.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Feb 7, 2007, 02:52 PM

So I guess the proposed 10% speed drop is only aparent when using programs such as Parallels or 3D rendering?

I think I may get a 1gb stick then, as the available RAM upgrade outweighs the performance drop.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 09:24 PM

For the intel macbooks, I don't think the 'minor' performance hit is what it used to be. An Apple salesperson mentioned the video performance will suffer if you don't have the pairs. After thinking about it, I think it will be worse than it was in the past because the VIDEO is actually borrowing RAM for its purposes. If you shortchange your RAM access speed and your video is relying on it, I bet you notice. Its not like previous models that had a separate video card with video RAM dedicated to its use. Then the performance issues are likely limited and the cache can help alleviate some congestion. With video I think its going to be noticeable.

YMMV, and this type of *acceptable* performance is really subjective. I'd say suffer with it, but plan to upgrade as soon as you can. According to my guesstimates then, the MacBook Pros would not suffer as much with mismatched or single sticks because they *do* have a dedicated video chip/ram.
( Last edited by bluedog; Feb 7, 2007 at 09:31 PM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 10:13 PM

IMHO if you got two 512 sticks, and then later got a gig stick you would have to deal with the extra 512 stick left over. i usually get whatever future proof way i can when i buy stuff like RAM. one: it saves money. two: you dont have to deal with an extra ram stick

my 2¢

-a

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Feb 8, 2007, 06:17 PM

Hmmm now I am torn again. I use my 'Book for quite a bit of video stuff...

I am leaning towards 2x512 again now. If I get a 1gb stick I wont be able to get it's match for a little while after. I am a student and I have bills to pay too.

1gb of RAM is pretty decent though, is it not? I have 512mb right now and I don't notice that much lag, and I don't need to be doing more than 3 things at once.

Forum Links
Forum Rules