Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > O2 to get iPhone contract in UK

O2 to get iPhone contract in UK
michaelb
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 03:40 AM

I hope "in time for Christmas" really means a few months before Christmas. It's being reported the German T-Mobile carrier will have them on sale November 1.

So, UK O2 users, what are they like?

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 04:20 AM

..according to the BBC.

Naplander
Senior User
Jul 5, 2007, 04:51 AM

02 are pretty good in my experience.

The incumbant British Telecom sold off their wireless arm, which then rebranded to 02.

Good choice in my opinion, as Vodafone and Orange are known for forcing their crippling software onto most phones.
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 05:02 AM

AFAIK (and please correct me if I'm wrong) O2 has some of the most expensive data plans and do not have EDGE on their network. If the iPhone is launched here without 3G, and with no EDGE, the user experience is going to suck big time.

Hopefully they would launch it with an "all you can eat" data plan, but even so, without EDGE it's going to HAVE to be 3G right?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Naplander View Post
02 are pretty good in my experience.

The incumbant British Telecom sold off their wireless arm, which then rebranded to 02.

Good choice in my opinion, as Vodafone and Orange are known for forcing their crippling software onto most phones.
Hmm think ill have to disagree with you on that one!! O2 network is pretty terrible, i must get the message "network busy" whilst trying to make a call at least once every two days (and at Glastonbury it took me about 30 mins to connect a call). Not to mention the dodgy signal, in my experience vodafone provided the best UK coverage!

As to network installed software.. i don't think apple would allow that to happen!!

In some respects im glad its o2 as i'm already with them!! (ill suffer the bad signal)
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2007, 05:23 AM

Hmmm well, this could mean that Telefónica will get the exclusive contract in Spain, I suppose. I like

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

matty-uk
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2007, 05:55 AM

bugger that means I need to change carriers

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 06:19 AM

I think this Edge/3G issue is mostly Americans struggling to get their heads around the fact that Europe's mobile data network is years ahead of theirs.

Of course it will be 3G in Europe. It couldn't not be.

Mind you we're about a decade behind Korea/Japan etc

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 07:14 AM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Been with 02 for over 10 years so I'm now looking forward to getting my iPhone nice and easy without having to change service.

Edge scmedge. The Euro iphone will be 3G or Apple will be sucking a big fat lemon. Anyway as long as I can wifi when I'm around London I'll be happy. Basically I want great phone calls, a video ipod with cover flow, sms and voice mail so I'm not fussed about the data plans!

Roll on Christmas!! Whoo hoo!

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by wulf View Post
Hopefully they would launch it with an "all you can eat" data plan, but even so, without EDGE it's going to HAVE to be 3G right?
It's impossible to envisage an iPhone launch in Europe which is not 3G. Surely. All decent phone have had 3G capabilities for, what, three years?

Forum Links
Forum Rules