Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2600 HD vs 8600gt-m iMac vs Mackbook Pro?

2600 HD vs 8600gt-m iMac vs Mackbook Pro?
solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2008, 02:50 PM

I play a lot of games and currently I have a 2.4ghz MacBook Pro w/4gigs of ram and an 8600gt video card with 256mb of ram.
in the iMac i have 4gigs of ram that I will install tonight and the 2600 HD card with 256mb of video mem.
when i first played a game on the iMac it sucked and ran like poo.
I am going to install the ram tonight and try again.
Any thoughts as to why it ran so bad?
Is the 2600 that much worse that the 8600 ?
Also all 4gigs of the ram is not seen in boot camp windows, any thoughts as to why?
the iMac freakin' rocks!!!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2008, 06:21 PM

The mobile 2600XT and 8600M GT have different strengths, so the relative performance varies by game. Barefeats has a few game benchmarks for what framerates to expect with each.

32-bit Windows only supports 3 or 3.5GB RAM; you need to buy 64-bit Vista (64-bit XP is eww) for 4GB+.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The mobile 2600XT and 8600M GT have different strengths, so the relative performance varies by game. Barefeats has a few game benchmarks for what framerates to expect with each.

32-bit Windows only supports 3 or 3.5GB RAM; you need to buy 64-bit Vista (64-bit XP is eww) for 4GB+.
hmmm... if i installed 64bit windows, would everything work with it fine on the macbook pro?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2008, 10:34 PM

I don't know if Apple has released a full collection of 64-bit drivers.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2008, 01:24 AM

gotcha thanks.
that is so odd that you cannot see over 3 gigs of ram!

P
Feb 10, 2008, 06:28 AM

There is only 4 gigs of memory space in the OS, and some peripherals take up part of the memory space for hardware communication - in particular, a 512 MB card takes up 512 megs of the OS logical memory space, dropping the max to around 3.5 gigs. Add a few other things, and you'll be stuck just above 3.

This doesn't stop certain companies to sell computers with more RAM than they can use: Dell is fine selling you a machine with 2 768 MB 8800 GTX cards and 4 gigs of RAM, knowing full well that you won't be able to use half of it.

Using 64-bit Windows doesn't really solve all that much, however: Some things - again, notably the graphics cards - will show up below the 4 gig boundary no matter what you do. To use all the RAM, some needs to be "hoisted" over the limit (so it uses the spaces 0-3 gigs and 4-5 gigs). This requires BIOS support, and I'd be very surprised if Apple has implemented something like that.
( Last edited by P; Feb 10, 2008 at 06:36 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules