Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Babylon 5----Its back!

Babylon 5----Its back!
jeffreyloaf
Sep 24, 2000, 11:15 PM

I hope all of the fans of B5 are going to watch it again.

The Sci-Fi channel is going to rebroadcast the show in WIDESCREEN; the way the show was shot.

It will be on at 7:00 pm EST starting on monday 25.

If you have never seen this fantastic sci-fi show you should at least watch one week of the show and see good tv.

Trivia
All five seasons were written by JMS.

B5 fan
Jeff
In god we trust/ Cash is king /All others pay thru the nose

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 25, 2000, 01:40 AM

Good. Now all we need is for SciFi to bring back and finish B5: Crusade and I will be happy. Kind sucks having to read the scripts on Bookface.com. I wanna see 'em.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2000, 04:38 AM

Trivia Correction
91.5 of the 110 episodes were written by JMS. The other 18.5 episodes were written by other people.

JMS did write 56 episodes in a row (about 2.5 seasons worth), however. That's a record for American television.

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2000, 09:53 AM

One thing I'm unclear on: are they going to show them stripped (1 per day) or 1 per week? If they show them the former way, I may watch. Oh, not quite right. I may tape. After all, I and the rest of the world have already seen this show.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

jeffreyloaf  (op)
Sep 25, 2000, 07:14 PM

Thankyou Adam Silver on the trivia correction.

denim I believe that it is one show per night.

I have only missed about four episodes out of the five years.

I am watching it now.
In god we trust/ Cash is king /All others pay thru the nose

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2000, 10:01 AM

Yeah, looks like one-per-night. That's JMS said he designed it for, so that's good. This is very strange.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Xool
Apr 3, 2001, 01:41 AM

Now not only can you check out B5 in widescreen on SciFi, but you can watch Crusade in its original order.

And stay tuned for the next, new series that focusses on the Rangers!

I can't wait for it all! JMS rocks!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2001, 02:16 AM

THEY NEED TO MAKE A MOVIE ALREADY! SHEESH!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Ruddigger
Senior User
Apr 3, 2001, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by jeffreyloaf:
I hope all of the fans of B5 are going to watch it again.

The Sci-Fi channel is going to rebroadcast the show in WIDESCREEN; the way the show was shot.

It will be on at 7:00 pm EST starting on monday 25.

If you have never seen this fantastic sci-fi show you should at least watch one week of the show and see good tv.

Trivia
All five seasons were written by JMS.

B5 fan
Jeff
Oh goodie, onw we get to see the overly cheesy lightwave graphics and absurd amount of lens flares in widescreen glory...

I can't wait. Seriously, didn't anyone else think this show blew?

------------------

-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Apr 3, 2001, 12:35 PM

The FXs did kinda suck. At least in ST they used a combination of models and computer graphics. Guess it's too expensive compared to straight CGI. Still, I liked the show. I look forward to seeing it in widescreen, I had no idea that it was orginally shot that way. Now, I just need to go buy that widescreen TV.

Originally posted by Ruddigger:
Oh goodie, onw we get to see the overly cheesy lightwave graphics and absurd amount of lens flares in widescreen glory...

I can't wait. Seriously, didn't anyone else think this show blew?
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

mavapa
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2001, 01:27 PM

Babylon 5 was some of the best TV ever. The goodness or badness of the special effects is irrelevant. The qualities in which this show excelled were character and plot. Unlike most TV series, it was a closed-ended story. It had a beginning and built gradually and logically towards a conclusion. When they reached the end of the story, the show ended. I predict that spinoffs won't match the original in quality, but one can always hope.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Apr 3, 2001, 01:57 PM

No, in fact it is very relevant. It was a TV show, which means the visual appeal is part of what it is. If it were just a book then F/Xs would have no relevancy. In my opinion, despite the F/Xs, it was still an excellent series.

Originally posted by mavapa:
Babylon 5 was some of the best TV ever. The goodness or badness of the special effects is irrelevant.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2001, 02:09 PM

b5 was great, but im most interested in the season finally of star trek voyager, its gonna be a great ending cant wait.

mavapa
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2001, 03:51 PM

I have to disagree, Roofus. Special effects are no more relevant to a TV show than to a stage play. They exist as an adjunct to your own imagination, not a replacement. Mindless reliance on special effects is the reason most big movies are ultimately so bad. I like to watch buildings explode as much as the next guy, but I can see that when they televise the latest building demolition. Fun to watch, but not much storyline or character development. Writing is what makes or breaks a show.

Xool
Apr 3, 2001, 06:21 PM

The FX are all relative. Keep in mind that this show's first season was in 1994 and was made on a shoestring budget. In the later seasons, and in Crusade, the CG shots are awesome!

I like B5 because of the epic 5-year story, the 3-dimensional characters (with real problems), and the realism. While Trek may be a Utopian future, the B5 universe is more realistic. Never is anything solved with a clever cyber-pulse inverter wave or some other such trek-gadget.

Also the battles are awesome... Imagine hundreds of ships with projectile weapons and smaller fighter craft. Earth battle cruisers with huge rotating sections. Our fleet of the future is more in line with today's battle tactics than anything else I've seen.

Anyhow, a new movie is in the works which could lead to a new show. If you've never seen this show before I suggest watching it now! As I said earlier, Crusade is going into reruns starting next week. If it's ratings are good SciFi might continue the series!

If you like SciFi I highly reccomend watching these shows. You won't be sorry... and if you are, so what... all you did is waste an hour or two.

austeros
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2001, 07:38 PM

the rumors are that they are going to be releasing the episodes season by season on dvd. that would be cool.

yeah the fx were kinda strange, but the 3-4 seasons were better then any other scifi series ever. plus humans were generally no better then who we really are.

------------------
-rok

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Xool
Apr 4, 2001, 06:25 PM

So, who else thinks the Crusade ads that have aired during B5 this week are pretty good?

Forum Links
Forum Rules