Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Screen Protector

iPhone Screen Protector
loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2007, 12:12 PM

Last week prior to the launch I purchased the iqase swift case from iqase.com. I'm very happy with the purchase so when I was looking for the screen protector, I decided to buy it from them again since they are local.

The screen protector is thick and easy to apply. It's a two step process after you wipe your iPhone screen clean. I've used many screen protectors on my Nokias and this screen protector from iqase is up to par with Martins Field.

On a side note, in order to get perfect fit I trimmed the bottom and I was able to get a couple of very small bubbles out. This is a very nice product.

**I'm not a spammer nor am I the owner, just an unbiased review for others looking for a screen protector.**

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 12:26 PM

How about the InvisibleShield. Anyone have experience with that product?

bjk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2007, 12:48 PM

I went with the one at the Apple Store: Power Support Crystal Film Set for iPhone.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2007, 08:33 PM

I have had 4 invisble shield products prior to my iphone - -and I LOVE their products.

There are lots of debates over the cost (they are a little pricey), but they DELIVER. I have used them on 2 blackberrys, a nano, and a dig-cam. I just put my iPhone invisbleshield on tonight - and it looks GREAT.

The only complaint I had is they only offer the full body shield, and I only wanted the front face shield, so I only installed the front piece. They work REALLY well as far as protection, and it doesn't affect the multi-touch at all.

Few tips for installation - TAKE YOUR TIME. Use a lot of the shield spray - soak the thing - its ok - a little moisture wont wreck your phone, position it well the first time, cause it wont move once it sets. It always looks better 24 hours after installation - really, all the tiny bubbles and imperfections are gone.

good luck-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2007, 08:41 PM

invisibleSHIELD - Apple iPhone @ Mobility Today

Great review of the InvisibleShield for iPhone -

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

peppermg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 10:06 PM

I asume that the full body shield comes in to parts a front shield and one for the back. My question is does the full body shield protect the sides top and bottom of the iPhone?
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.33GHz, 2GB, 160GB, Glossy.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2007, 12:05 AM

Does the Invisible Shield come off easily? Does it leave any residue on the iPhone screen when removed?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2007, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Does the Invisible Shield come off easily? Does it leave any residue on the iPhone screen when removed?
I've used this on my cell phone, it's a great product.
It comes off cleanly and easily if you pull it, and it protects for about 9 months or so. I've dropped my phone, and had it with keys, not a scratch.

The picture in the link above says full body shield, so I think this covers the front, back, sides.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I've used this on my cell phone, it's a great product.
It comes off cleanly and easily if you pull it, and it protects for about 9 months or so. I've dropped my phone, and had it with keys, not a scratch.

The picture in the link above says full body shield, so I think this covers the front, back, sides.
Good to know. I'm definitely going to give this a shot.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
How about the InvisibleShield. Anyone have experience with that product?
I have it for my gen 1 Nano and Sony Camera screens and my boyfriends Sony Camera phone.
Amazing product. It actually makes the camera and phones screen look better with them on.
After 6 months the one on my Nano started to peal in the corner from dirt so I called them and they sent me a new one and even waved the shipping charge.

Even though I don't have an iPhone yet I want to order a protector from them. The only thing I am worried about is that it will make the touch inputs less sensitive as Apple recommends against them.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2007, 01:01 PM

I use the iCrystal screen protector sold the Apple retail stores. It perfectly clear and smooth and works great. It's the easiest protector to apply and I've tried them all.

I tried the invisibleshield this weekend for the back. I've used them on other products and really liked them but I really didn't like it on the iPhone. I removed it last night. The things I didn't like were:

Corners just don't fit very good.
Rough feeling edge along the top border. Especially around the volume keys.
Makes it very very difficult to get in and out of dock.

The last is the whole reason for me to use it instead of one of the rubber cases. But the fit is so tight it feels like something is going to break. So I pulled it off and only the crystal screen protector on.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2007, 01:17 PM

I frankly question whether any sort of protector is necessary (as I think I've said before). It's a glass screen, and glass doesn't scratch the way plastic screens can. Plus, you're not using a stylus on the screen, and that's where most people get scratches (either from the stylus itself or from dragging a little bit of grit across the screen with the stylus). I certainly don't put anything else in the same pocket with the iPhone (at least on purpose), but aside from that I'm not taking any particular precautions. No case, no screen protector. So far, no scratches, but time will tell.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2007, 02:10 PM

Yes, I believe a screen protector is completely unnecessary. No scratches so far. The protectors just get in the way.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2007, 03:24 PM

A protector "might" not be necessary but the one from Apple looks and feels identical to the screen. Given that, it's worth it to me just to reduce my anxiety about messing up the screen. After a week it still looks good as new also.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by DKeithA View Post
Yes, I believe a screen protector is completely unnecessary. No scratches so far. The protectors just get in the way.
I'm just worried about the time I'm gonna drop it on the sidewalk.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
A protector "might" not be necessary but the one from Apple looks and feels identical to the screen. Given that, it's worth it to me just to reduce my anxiety about messing up the screen. After a week it still looks good as new also.
What protector from Apple are you talking about? The thing that covers the screen when you take it out of the box?

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I'm just worried about the time I'm gonna drop it on the sidewalk.
Yes, I think dropping the phone or leaning against something hard with it in your pocket are probably the two most likely causes of damage. But that PC World test went a long way toward making me feel better about the iPhone surviving a fall. I carry my iPhone "naked" but I do always make sure that I have the screen side against my leg instead of exposed.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2007, 07:30 PM

No, at the Apple retail stores and the online store they are selling a kit with 2 protectors for 14.95. I think it's called the iCrystal or the crystal film. I got mine from the Apple retail store near me on iDay. It's the easiest to put on of any screen protector I've ever used and it feels just like the screen.

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
What protector from Apple are you talking about? The thing that covers the screen when you take it out of the box?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2007, 07:44 PM

Just because they sell it at an Apple store doesn't mean it's from Apple.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2007, 01:18 PM

That's true and it's not an Apple product. I didn't mean to imply that it was from Apple only that I bought it from Apple.

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Just because they sell it at an Apple store doesn't mean it's from Apple.

dawho9
Senior User
Jul 10, 2007, 01:55 PM

I'll second this screen protector. The link is here:

The Apple Store (U.S.) - Power Support Crystal Film Set for iPhone

Threw it on the night I bought it, as I had one on my Palm for years and like others, I'm just worried about the accidental scratching/problems. Other than the screen protector, I'm going naked with my and just throwing it in my pocket when I'm not using it.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

Forum Links
Forum Rules