Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Printing over a network

Printing over a network
rob7erto
Forum Regular
May 7, 2005, 10:09 AM

Ever since I upgraded to Tiger, I've been unable to print over the network to an HP 6200 series all-in-one. If I plug in directly, all goes well. Prints great. When the printer is plugged in elsewhere and I try to access it as a shared printer, nothing happens. It loads the wrong driver and when I click print in the print dialog box, nothing happens. The button won't even push. Same thing happens when I try to print to pdf. Only way to get out of the print dialog is to push cancel.

Anybody have a solution?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 7, 2005, 10:46 AM

Make sure the same version of the printer driver is being used on all the computers, otherwise they may not see each other properly.

tooki

rob7erto  (op)
Forum Regular
May 7, 2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Make sure the same version of the printer driver is being used on all the computers, otherwise they may not see each other properly.

tooki
It all worked great in Panther. Drivers have not been changed.

bluejam
May 7, 2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by rob7erto
It all worked great in Panther. Drivers have not been changed.
Yeah, worked fine w/ Panther also.. My printer works fine hooked up to the USB but will not work with my AirportExpress. I've tried everything...I think.
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Jeffois
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2005, 12:13 AM

Did anyone find a solution? I'm having the same prob with Tiger and my HP deskjet 940c.
------------------
MacBook Pro Retina mid-2014, 15"

gooffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2005, 12:48 AM

I have tried the following printers hocked up to my linksys 10/100 router, Apple Laserprinter 16/600 PS, Brother 1470N, Apple Laserwriter 12/600, Tektronix Phaser 840 and HP 2100/M/TN....

All of them work perfectly in both Tiger an Panther even using the funny eithernet adapters on the apple printers, my guess is that the issue might be in the wireless bit of the printing you guys are trying.

Could it be apple talk issues via wireless? those packets not being passed...
*m

Jeffois
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2005, 01:03 AM

Funny thing happened on the way to my printing crisis...

I started just looking at the print dialogue, clicked on most of the pull-down options, (you know, the ones that start with "Copies and Pages," but didn't change anything. Then I closed the dialogue, closed proggys (nothing I hadn't done before), and then when I opened proggys and tried to print again, Voila!!!

I have simply NO IDEA why it is working now.

I mean, I ain't complaining, but I wish I could explain so that others could solve it also. Plus, I can't be sure it won't come back, since I don't think I actually [I]did[/I ] anything.

This after each of the following failed to work:
1) Fixing permissions
2) Restarting
3) Resetting printer in Print Utility and re-adding
4) Deleting printer and re-adding
5) Drinking heavily

OK...I hope this helps in some way. Peace out.
------------------
MacBook Pro Retina mid-2014, 15"

Forum Links
Forum Rules