Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Best program to convert DVD's to AppleTV

Best program to convert DVD's to AppleTV
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2007, 01:01 PM

Now that I have AppleTV I plan to convert my most frequently watched DVD's to AppleTV. What is the best program to do this? I have heard some are good at converting to Video iPod but I'm not sure what kind of quality I will get on a big screen with AppleTV.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2007, 06:46 PM

I'd use MediaFork.

Framerate is 29.97
Deinterlace
and for a high quality encoding make sure you have your kbps to at least 1000 (preferably 1500).
FFmpeg encoding is faster. Though H.264 is better quality and I think it creates smaller files.

That's my two cents.

Hope it is helpful.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2007, 01:26 AM

I was using ffmpeg, but now, I'm giving VisualHub a whirl. So far, it's doing a nice job, and doing it pretty quickly and easily. I read somewhere that VH is simply a front end for ffmpeg, making it a bit more user friendly, but I don't know if that's the case (about it being the front end).

I like how it has a preset for AppleTV, and it'll import the finished file into iTunes, too.

PS
I can confirm it's a front end for ffmpeg! Activity Monitor lists its process as "vh123ffmpeg."

elmerxu
Baninated
Apr 4, 2007, 09:46 AM

See this DVD and Videos to Apple TV site(Mac/Windows) for help...the windows converter works great for me.

dawho9
Senior User
Apr 7, 2007, 08:19 AM

Let me second the vote for MediaFork/Handbreak. Its fantastic and easy to use. Here is what I have been using for settings:

File Format: MP4
Codec: H.264
Enable 2 pass encoding
Average Bitrate: 1450

I leave everything else at the defaults. Files are about 1 GB in size when finished. If you are concerned about playing on an iPod Video then you need to modify the picture size to the max pixels but it works great. You can also set a target size in MB if you are a person who wishes to have the highest quality file that fits on a CD for instance.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

Forum Links
Forum Rules