Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 50)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2010, 09:36 AM

The maps are being advertised everywhere, and there is a 'new' tag beside Download Content in the multiplayer sub-menu...but the maps are nowhere to be found yet.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2010, 09:38 AM

Yeah, that IW forums let me know I didn't screw up.

Honestly, it seems with these blockbuster games DLC releases keep happening later and later during their release day. I swear people were downloading bungie's maps at 4 am EST. It's already 9 am and nothing.

Of course, this might be a lazy sack of shit developer thing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2010, 09:41 AM

Also, there was an update for MW2 as well.

Basically there shouldn't be a single reason why the maps aren't downloading right now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2010, 09:47 AM

My best theory is they (MS) do this to avoid their servers being slammed. Later + unpredictable = less people mugging them once they hit.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2010, 10:07 AM

Eh, for 50 bucks a year, plus the cost of DLC they should take a little slamming.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2010, 10:08 AM

Not to mention DLC this big happens only a few times per year.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2010, 10:49 AM

Oh, I want to post for the privileged few who missed it last night, I went 22-0 on Rust and was immediately chastised for camping. On Rust.

This is especially hilarious because I probably spent my first 5-7 kills on the ground. I completely ran out of ammo, had to change from my M240 to a P90, then said ****it and climbed the ladder because the ground was an unpredictable mess.

Once I got to the top (without a single bullet fired at me) I find two teammates already there. Stab a dude who followed me up and pick up his TAR. After a minute I go to tube someone cross map only to direct impact a dude in the face just as he was getting to the top by ladder.

Anyway, they didn't have much in the way of answers for why I should give up the high ground once I have it. They also complained that it was impossible to get me off of there since they don't use noobtubes. You wanna play with an arm tied behind your back? Fine. Don't complain when it puts you at a disadvantage, though.

As we went into the next game they muttered something about showing us what real camping is (well that's a first - called a camper who doesn't know how to camp, apparently). We beat them again with little camping and then we had to back out to pick up kavvika. Which is sorta a shame.

Side note: As far as I know, this is my second best "0" game. What's really weird is my best is a 23-0... on Rust. Crazy unlikely.

What're your best "0" games?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2010, 11:16 AM

My best zero game was 21-0 on Estate. Healthy dose of sniping and shotgunning house rushers. Next best is 19-0 on Crash, in fact the exact same circumstances took place. Sniping jerks from the roof, then working the staircases with the M1014.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2010, 11:31 AM

Still no map pack available. Which is bullshit. I was was hoping to download the maps before I left for work.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2010, 12:13 PM

Haha, they're advertising the map pack on Joystiq, which is hilarious because you can't download the effin' thing yet, and also because the design is so poorly made that the majority of the ad is blocked by Joystiq's content. That's my IW!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2010, 01:00 PM

Still not there. I'm going to be done with work in like 2 hours, the maps better be available then, god-dammit.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2010, 02:05 PM

Wasn't there for me just now. But found this link on another forum and "purchased" it, and it added it to my queue on my 360.
Xbox LIVE Marketplace | Modern Warfare® 2
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2010, 02:15 PM

Download is complete. And joining games. Hope this helps some of you, I didn't know you could purchase games add ons from xbox.com.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2010, 02:27 PM

It's still sketchy from what I'm reading.

Also, reports are the gate on Vacant is only open on some game modes.

Edit: A little giddy at the thought of playing Strike. Man, me and my RDS M16 had a lot of good times on that map.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2010, 03:19 PM

I was too drunk when I got home to care.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2010, 03:20 PM

Downloading now...

Shouldn't have surprised me, but I forgot I needed to buy 20 dollars of MS points for this pack. That's 1/3 of the total game price.

<sigh> oh well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2010, 03:37 PM

Carnival looks so damn cool, but I'm exhausted from working today. So it's nap time, then dinner, then extreme gaming session.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2010, 03:41 PM

Yes, I'm sure we'll all be on tonight.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2010, 03:41 PM

wtfff it's so early! bastard.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2010, 04:19 PM

May I take a moment to remind everyone we'll be stuck in the Resurgence Playlist tonight? So suck it up, wusses.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2010, 07:05 PM

Two objective games in the Resurgence playlist and I already hate the guts of every player on there.

Also, expect worse hosts than normal.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2010, 07:16 PM

Dammit, I won't get home until late tonight (10pm PDT). Oh well, at least I have tomorrow off.

How big is the map pack? Did it take long to download?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2010, 09:11 PM

320MB or so, didn't take long to download.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2010, 03:45 AM

Could they make fuel any BIGGER? Carnival is pretty fun, but still confusing. Trailer Park is good (no snipers).

Strike doesn't let you play Domination games and Vacant is just creamy. Hopefully the new maps will be pushed to the other games-types soon, I really didn't enjoy the 10-30 CTF matches.

On a plus side, I added a friend last night. A German who asked to hook up with me and some other clan guys. Played about 10 games with him on the new maps. Makes up for the hours and hours that you have to put up with sh1theads if you don't have global mute on.

Why was it so difficult to actually find the DLC? I seem to remember that the last map pack was easier to download.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
May I take a moment to remind everyone we'll be stuck in the Resurgence Playlist tonight? So suck it up, wusses.
So, I was by far the biggest bitch last night. The objective game types, the players, the lag... it was too much. Supposedly they're going into regular rotation today, and if its true I'm glad I got most of the objective challenges done last time, because I am out on it this time.

As far as the maps:

Carnival - Awesome. Duh.

Fuel - Wayyyyy bigger than anticipated. Kinda plays like Storm and Favela. In the long run I think that giant area will be more ignored than the far side of Sub Base or the empty side of Derail. Also, I think I played 50% of my games on it last night. And 50% of those were TDM.

Trailer Park - Not sold yet. May take a while to master, like Favela.

Vacant - It's what we expected. I plan on abusing it for Steady Aim kills, mostly.

Strike: Barely got a chance to play on it, not TDM. Shame.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2010, 02:16 PM

Not much to say yet, didn't get TDM on some maps at all last night.

Carnival is friggin sweet. It's small but there is a lot of 'tall' cover and back alleyways. Plus I like the overall diversity of the backdrops.

Fuel is huuuuge, and a sweet sniper map. Unfortunately my experiences with it are tarnished by Headquarters Pro.

Trailer Park is super fun IMO. Mostly CQB and flanking. Actually a fun map to play CTF on. S&D was fun too.

Vacant is my least favorite. Hallways filled with particles and light make it impossible to see enemies and the spawning was atrocious.

Strike is a cool map that came up way to infrequently last night. I had good success with my sniper at first, but seeing as most games were Headquarters or Domination it devolved into a noob tube Danger Close game.

Really only vacant sucks in my eyes, and that might change with a good amount of TDM. I'm going to hop into TDM right now and see if new maps come up.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2010, 03:37 PM

Still haven't had a chance to download. I might find some time tonight.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2010, 06:29 PM

I've been playing for a few hours (yahoo 8th prestige!) and didn't see the new maps in S&D. Maybe I need to reboot or something.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2010, 11:41 PM

Enjoyed Trailer Park and Vacant - they play similar to Favela. My akimbo Vectors and Shotgun are getting used often.

Fuel is HUGE both horizontally and vertically. Two of the buildings have 3 floors.

Carnival - HUGE and I'm still exploring it.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2010, 11:17 PM

Strangely enough, I had a fun evening with the riot shield. I think I got 5-6 titles or emblems for the riot shield. I even went positive in kills with it. I like the distraction score award of +80. I think I'll try to finish off the riot shield challenges this prestige.

Got my One-Man-Army challenge perk today.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 07:02 AM

Really, really enjoying Carnival now. Both for TDM and S&D. Trailer park, not so much. Don't think that I've done S&D on Fuel yet.

The large building in Fuel (metal stairs on either on of which goes down to the pipe exit/entrance) is the equivalent to the middle building in Derail. I like it.

Not sure how to categorize Carnival, do you keep the buidling with the clown's head or the castle area? Do you snipe from the rocket? Do you lay down on a roller coaster? Loads of possibilities and it doesn't seem too static - yet. I thought that Trailer park would be good, now I'm seeing votes to skip all the time. Maybe it needs more than one level to make a map successful.

Loving Vacant and Strike again. Although I cannot see what difference (tactically) the new room makes in Strike.

In other news, 2 games, 2 care packages, 2 EMPs. Don't think that I ever had one before.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 08:12 AM

We've been holding down the entire rocket area on Carnival, from the entrance from the Bumper Cars to the Flying Saucer.

Trailer Park is fun, if you're a runner.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Not sure how to categorize Carnival, do you keep the buidling with the clown's head or the castle area? Do you snipe from the rocket? Do you lay down on a roller coaster? Loads of possibilities and it doesn't seem too static - yet.
I tend to go for the second floor of the Castle or the Fun House (clown's head house). There seems to be alot you can cover from the second floor of the Castle.

I see alot of people sniping from the rocket.

Originally Posted by mattyb
I thought that Trailer park would be good, now I'm seeing votes to skip all the time. Maybe it needs more than one level to make a map successful.
Trailer Park, I still think plays like Favela, except you have no second floor. I don't see any problems with it.

Strike, however, I'm still on the fence with. I've seen teams get nailed down in certain areas, but it may be because one team is stronger.

Fuel, I tend to go for one of the 3 buildings and tend to go for the top floors and shoot down on people or shoot at people in the other buildings.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 10:16 AM

I'm using the M16 seriously for the first time, and that weapon is deadly! Not easy to kill someone on the run perpendicular to you, but one solid hit at a semi-stationary opponent takes them right down, I'm impressed. I even had a triple-kill using only three bursts last night...of course they lined up for me, but still.

Best game of the night was our late-round comeback on Trailer Park TDM. You have me to thank for that since I went on a killstreak late in the match. Predator/Emergency Airdrop/Stealth Bomber and a healthy dose of spray and pray netted us the win. Notably Bill and I were holding the left entrance to our spawn, and we must have gotten around 6 kills in quick succession. He might have been aiming, but I was simply spraying the TAR at the opening, reloading, and repeating the process. Can't remember exactly, but we could have been down up to 1000 points when the other team had 7000. Nice work all around.

All in all, it was one of the best nights in recent memory.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm using the M16 seriously for the first time, and that weapon is deadly! Not easy to kill someone on the run perpendicular to you, but one solid hit at a semi-stationary opponent takes them right down, I'm impressed. I even had a triple-kill using only three bursts last night...of course they lined up for me, but still.
Yeah I even like it with iron sights. Adding a silencer means pwnage in a std tdm match. Don't think that I'm even at Veteran II for it yet though. I'm saving some of the favourite weapons for the last few 8th level ranks.

I picked up a F2000 after running out of ammo on Vacant. There aren't enough expletives for this weapon. What twisted crazy fool decided on how this POS should behave and kill in MW2? They need to be hung drawn and quartered.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 11:51 AM

Dakar just finished mastery on his F2000, I'm sure he'd tell you the thing sucks too.

As far as the iron sights for the M16... They aren't terrible like the FAL's, but they ain't good. SCAR-H FTW when it comes to iron sights.

So right now I am working on three ARs. Getting mastery for the SCAR and TAR, penetration kills at 10 and 25 respectively. Also working on the M16. In one game last night I unlocked three attachments, getting alot of kills with it without much effort. Good weapon.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 7, 2010, 11:57 AM

Have you used the FAMAS? Because, seriously, same gun.

Best game of the night was our late-round comeback on Trailer Park TDM. You have me to thank for that since I went on a killstreak late in the match. Predator/Emergency Airdrop/Stealth Bomber and a healthy dose of spray and pray netted us the win. Notably Bill and I were holding the left entrance to our spawn, and we must have gotten around 6 kills in quick succession. He might have been aiming, but I was simply spraying the TAR at the opening, reloading, and repeating the process. Can't remember exactly, but we could have been down up to 1000 points when the other team had 7000. Nice work all around.
I think we had two like this. The kill-cam with the late AC-130 mortars was epic.

All in all, it was one of the best nights in recent memory.
More like best weekend. Barely played last weekend, so this was extra sweet. Not to mention you appeared online during the day not once but twice, which is practically a sign of the apocalypse.

---

I don't know about you guys, but I think I like this map pack better than the last. Granted, My enjoyment of Vacant is probably dependent on my pursuit of Steady Aim and having a vocal team around me, but still. Fuel doesn't hurt for working on Lightweight, either (50 out of 100 (V) and 250 (VI) miles completed!). Same goes for Trailer Park - wouldn't want to play it without you guys.

Highlights of the weekend:

• F2000 Mastery
• AK-47 Mastery
• Mastered all Assault Rifles
• Went 14-7 on Quarry with the Riot Shield including 9(!) C4 kills (Shoulda heard the bitching and backing out post game)
• A double-claymore kill (Always rare)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 12:04 PM

Fuel is a good map to be running solo, as is Carnival.

Trailer Park without a team equals flank rusher city, so does Vacant. As for Strike, honestly I haven't played TDM there enough to form an educated opinion about it. Some games I can own with the sniper, some games I can't. I still think it is a very fun map though.

I used the FAMAS very lightly, probably don't even have 100 kills with it yet. Honestly, I think it's ugly, and that's the main reason I don't use it. However, as this is appearing to be my last trip to 70, there will be ample time to master it.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2010, 03:35 PM

Super fun weekend. I definitely enjoy this map pack more than the last, but the amount of variety there is when you include all the maps is awesome.

SCAR + Extended Magz = my new favorite weapon, previously it was M16. RPG kills remain very satisfying.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 7, 2010, 03:56 PM

Indeed. Though I'm getting to the point where I wanna f around with the Javelin just to see what kind of havoc it can wreak ion Trailer Park.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2010, 10:28 AM

Indeed. Though I'm getting to the point where I wanna f around with the Javelin just to see what kind of havoc it can wreak on Trailer Park.
The answer is 5 kills, at least on my first try. I think four of them were launched from the kegs to the area with the burnt-out pick-up truck. On the flip-side I did suffer a lot of dumb deaths trying to do it, so I'm not sure its worth it. I feel like an RPG would be nearly as effective while firing quicker and having a second in reserve.

Oh, I just found out today that EADs don't give EMPs, which is irritating.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2010, 01:03 PM

On the flip-side I did suffer a lot of dumb deaths trying to do it, so I'm not sure its worth it. I feel like an RPG would be nearly as effective while firing quicker and having a second in reserve.
That's the only problem with the Javelin (and Stinger), they take a little while (2-3 seconds) to lock-on. And then on top of that, the Javelin often takes the scenic (indirect) route to the target.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 9, 2010, 03:31 PM

Time to kill on every weapon:

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2010, 03:41 PM

Multiple times by 3 when you're drunk or Dakar.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2010, 03:18 AM

I'm getting bored of this game. Even changing game types doesn't/didn't help.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2010, 11:38 AM

I think I'll be there in another couple of weeks. I'm not bored yet. This prestige I had some fun with the riot shield.

So far I've managed to finish off the top 4 challenges for it, and I think I'll finish the 6th challenge (shield yourself from 100 explosions), but I'm not going to be able to finish the 5th challenge. Stop 50,000 bullets.

But yeah, I'm going to get bored of it within the next couple of weeks. But I'll play it occasionally. I'm playing Bioshock 2 single player, though, every couple of days.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2010, 01:06 PM

Did this last longer or shorter than CoD4?

Personally, I'm still having a ton of fun. I may not get Mastery on everything like I planned, but I just don't care. I still unlocked a few titles last night.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2010, 02:32 PM

I get bored from playing it too many days in a row. So I'll play something else for a few days but usually end up coming back to this. I've only prestiged once and am at 65, depending on how long it takes me to get to 70 I don't think I'll prestige again.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 02:41 PM

Last night was pretty solid, I called in a total of 9 AC130s, with a streak of 5 games in a row where I had one. No nukes.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2010, 02:42 PM

I got bored, played some PS3 games for a while, came back, got interested again, then realized everyone had prestiged about five more times since I'd left.

Bah...

Forum Links
Forum Rules