Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Omni finally improving their support or just BS?

Omni finally improving their support or just BS?
Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2002, 04:43 PM

This is on all of Omni's support pages for their apps.

Are You Registered?

Users who have paid for OmniWeb can also ask questions of our support engineers directly by using OmniWeb's "Send Feedback..." menu option from its "Help" menu. These messages are given priority over questions from users who haven't registered yet, and we try to get back to you within a day or two. Register today, if you haven't already!
Is it true? Any of you have experience?

I sent email to them several times earlier this year and it took over a month before I got a response. Even then, it was always the standard "Wait til version 5.0"

Rickster
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 05:32 PM

Yes. We hired a fourth tech support engineer at the beginning of the summer, and as of last week (or was it the week before? I forget), we got fully caught up and up to speed: all mail from licensed OmniWeb, OmniGraffle, and OmniOutliner users is now answered within a couple of business days. If you haven't purchased a license, we can't make any promises as to when or if your mail will be answered -- there are hundreds of thousands of OmniWeb users, and we can't afford to hire enough support staff to give everyone a prompt response.

If you have licensed one of our products, be sure to send your feedback using the "Send Feedback..." item in the Help menu -- that tags your message with a code that lets us identify you as a (legitimately) licensed user. Otherwise we can't really tell you apart from the people who haven't paid.

As for the answers to your questions being "wait for 5.0", well, that depends on your questions. The support staff are right near my office, and I hear them giving out plenty of other answers to other people.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2002, 05:34 PM

Omniweb was crashing on me every time I minimized it to the dock, and I (a paid user) sent them an email concerning the problem, along with the crash.log. They got back to me with the fix (update prebinding) the next day. They've also been WAY more responsive than they have to be right here in the forums. Rickster spends half his life helping people with Omniweb. I think their support efforts at least have the best intentions, even if they can't get to everybody.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2002, 06:39 PM

I've been sending a steady stream of Crash Catcher reports regarding the crash-on-close-window bug since the early 4.1 sneakypeeks (i've got over 200 crash logs in my Sent Mail folder, a significant portion of which are regarding this bug) but Omni just doesn't seem to fix it...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2002, 08:18 PM

Sometimes fixing a bug is very difficult. I know in my own apps, there can be a known bug in there for months - but if I cannot reproduce or get info from a log of some sort to help pinpoint the error - its impossible to fix. I hate those situations - but they do occur.

Sometimes the logs just don't give enough info either. In those cases, I have been lucky enough that my work is on PDAs, so I've paid to have the user send me their PDA. I hook it up, find out the problem (usually related to their data - something we didn't anticipate) and its fixed. But if we can't do that...its not magic, ya know

Art Vandelay  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2002, 01:31 AM

Well, I am a registered user and have been using the "Send Feedback..." option. However, since you're on the ball now, I'll start sending feedback again.

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 3, 2002, 04:15 AM

Rickster, CSS support is VERY bad still. Can you go to the following links and see how Omniweb handles cascading menus:

www.teletext.co.uk

www.zoetrope.com (need to register Email and password first)

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:

Is it true? Any of you have experience?
I've gotten replies within a day every time I've sent in feedback. Nice and courteous. Maybe even clean shaven, but it's hard to tell with the email.
~BS

torifile
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2002, 08:35 PM

I, too, can attest to the response time of sending feedback when you're registered. Always within 2 days. Sometimes sooner. I'm glad to support a good group of people in omni (I've got OW, OG, OO). Keep up the good work, guys! Now, get CSS and JS support up to snuff and I'll be happy.

Art Vandelay  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 01:44 PM

Well, I sent my email to you guys on Sunday using the proper methods. I am still waiting for a response. It's been more than 1-2 days even when accounting for the holiday.

It looks like it's still the same old crap. You guys are flat out lying on your web pages. Someone should sue you for false advertising.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
Well, I sent my email to you guys on Sunday using the proper methods. I am still waiting for a response. It's been more than 1-2 days even when accounting for the holiday.

It looks like it's still the same old crap. You guys are flat out lying on your web pages. Someone should sue you for false advertising.
i have submitted feedback reports and received response within a day or two. i think omni are doing a very good job.

judging by this thread, and your comments in another omniweb thread, you seem to have a real hate-on for omni....if your feedback to them is written in the same tone as your comments here, i probably wouldn't want to respond either....(nor would i hire you to be my latex salesman )
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2002, 02:56 PM

I've always gotten responses in one to two days. As far as support goes, OmniGroup is superb. Could you post the questions your sending them?

-matt

Rickster
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 04:28 PM

As fate would have it, as soon as we began to publicize that our support team was finally fully up to speed, one of our tech support engineers unexpectedly quit.

So, we're back to being swamped for a little while. But we expect to have a replacement hired soon, so we should be back in the swing of things pretty quickly.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

bewebste
Senior User
Sep 5, 2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
As fate would have it, as soon as we began to publicize that our support team was finally fully up to speed, one of our tech support engineers unexpectedly quit.
Unexpectedly quit, eh? Did the crash log reveal why he quit?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:

Unexpectedly quit, eh? Did the crash log reveal why he quit?
Ha! ....and here we thought that an "unexpected quit" would no longer affect the stability of the system!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Forum Links
Forum Rules