Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Getting Even... with a business

Getting Even... with a business
centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 27, 2007, 07:31 PM

So I went into a liquor store today, and tried to buy some rum. I was with a friend. I'm 26. My friend is 25. He asks to see our IDs. I pull mine out, and he scrutinizes it like I'm some sort of criminal, and then tells me he can't acccept it. I ask him if he's joking (I haven't shaved in about 1.5 weeks so I look like .. well... VERY scruffy) and he says no, because he can't see a hologram. I hold it up, and point out the holograms clearly visible on my ID. He looks at them, and says that he still can't see them, but he'll let it go this ONE time, and then said "I am telling you to get your ID replaced".

WTF. From a cashier? Cashiers do not tell ME what to do, so I take my license back, leave the booze, and tell him to forget it, and thanks for being such a dick.

I walk out.

My friend tries to by his bottle of whiskey, and he won't sell it to him because he claims that I wasn't 21 (which I clearly was, as my ID is valid, has holograms, and I do not look under 21).

So I call the place, and ask to speak to the manager, and the manager right off the bat says "Are you the one with the guy who was under 21?" and I said "No, I am the guy who your blind employee accused of being under 21. I'm 26, my friend is 25. We've shopped there over 15 times before, without problems. I've never had my ID questioned, and the holograms are clearly visible-"

and then this manager just says "well then you don't have to shop here anymore" and hangs up.

What can I do to this prick, besides reporting him to the police for selling booze to minors? I'm pissed off that this cashier, and his boss were both such huge flaming pricks. I don't want to do anything TOO illegal, but deifnitely something to get even. Suggestions welcome.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 07:36 PM

Not worth it.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 07:48 PM

Forgive and forget.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 07:49 PM

they are probably just being really protective of their liquor license. They would rather lose a customer than get busted selling to underage people. Unfortunately for you, they probably got burned in the past, and are now just anal.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 07:57 PM

Filing a false police report? WINNAR IDEA.

I'd file a complaint with the BBB and the state AG. I'd also call the DMV/RMV/DOT to see if there are any laws regarding refusing a valid ID.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 08:01 PM

They reserve the right. That's what makes America so great.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
and then this manager just says "well then you don't have to shop here anymore" and hangs up.
I say, take his advise. It's clear that they don't cater to their customers and they don't want your business. Spread the story around. Tell your friends and don't ever go there again.

I once returned a bottle of liquor that had milk in it (White Russian), because they milk was suspiciously sour. The old woman (who I assume is family of the store owner) by the register started saying that the drink was perfectly good, and that it was just that "us youngsters" weren't used to the taste of such liquor. I politely informed her that I had had this drink many times before and that I believed that the milk might be bad, but the poor, deluded old woman persisted in her impertinent claim.

Anyway, they made it difficult for me to return the drink, and I had to go three times until they decided to give me store credit for the drink and I bought another one with the credit. I said goodbye that day and after that I've never bought there again. None of my friends go there now either because of personal experience or what happened to me.

I go to a smaller, much friendlier place to buy liquor now for any special occasion, where the owner knows me by name and shakes my hand each time, and I know I'll have no problem returning or exchanging an item.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 08:07 PM

Yeah, let it go and take your business somewhere else.

-t

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 08:13 PM

Seems to me that being required to check IDs gives some dumbasses the idea that they hold a position of power. I just want to say, you're a frickin' cashier! Not a cop, not a judge, and most certainly not in charge of anyone's ID but your own.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 08:20 PM

You should think about this. A LOT. Let it burn and seethe within you. Stay up late thinking up crazy fantasies of revenge. Tell everyone you know about your victimization. Call up the local TV station and the better business bureau and animal control.

Whatever you do, don't just "move on." Humanity is clearly in need of another raging victim.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 08:27 PM

I'm with wolfen.

Fox needs some REAL "news".

Go for it!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 08:31 PM

Everybody's always out to get you, aren't they? You ought to stop and think about why you always get into predicaments. And you ought to grow up. Your anger and built up rage are either going to get you killed or you're going to drop dead of a heart attack way before your time.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 08:35 PM

Don't do anything Rob. I'd hate to see NN's most lively member get in big trouble again.

People who deal in the liquor biz tend to be pretty scummy anyways, a lot of them are mafia or ex-debt-collectors or people who run gambling operations on the side. I'm not kidding, my dad has dealt with these types of characters through a construction project. In this case, it simply isn't worth it.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Everybody's always out to get you, aren't they? You ought to stop and think about why you always get into predicaments. And you ought to grow up. Your anger and built up rage are either going to get you killed or you're going to drop dead of a heart attack way before your time.

Your namecalling directly resulted in your friend not getting his whiskey. People don't like being called dicks, and sometimes revenge is simply a matter of refusing service. Congrats.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 08:44 PM

I can't tell you about how many predicaments I've gotten out of, just by being patient and polite. As gay as that sounds, it works. Plus, at the end of the day, I have all the beer I need, and my blood pressure is nice and low.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 08:51 PM

Just badmouth the place. That's capitalism.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jan 27, 2007, 09:08 PM

I read this and thought, "Get a frickin' life. You claim to be 20-whatever but you're acting like a fricking 14-year-old."

I kept reading through the thread and suddenly someone says, "Rob..."

Ca$h?

Sure as hell...i scroll back up and see it's a Ca$h thread.

<sarcasm>Imagine my surprise</sarcasm>

Ca$h, you've been spewing this kinda crap around this forum for years. I can't be the only one who thought you might mature over time. Guess not. That attitude of yours is unhealthy and one way or another, someday it's gonna come around and bite you in the ass big time.

You could always go back and break off the windshield wiper on his car...that'd show him just like that other Ca$h-hater

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 09:22 PM

I have to wonder - is this the same place you got carded in before, trying to buy liquor, and got all pissy at the clerk because you'd forgotten your I.D.?

Even the fact that it's almost the same situation, and you react almost the same, makes me wonder if perhaps you *do* need the crap beaten out of you before your brain starts seeing others as humans of equal stature.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 09:27 PM

Good heavens analogika, you're on a violent streak lately.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 27, 2007, 10:10 PM

Cherish the fact you're still being carded. Seriously.

There will come a day when there will be no doubt as to your age. And when it does, you'll look back and either wonder why you were angry about such things, or be angry over the fact that you're getting too old.

And give your business to someone who deserves it.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 27, 2007, 10:20 PM

I'd love to hear the cashier's side of the story.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 10:47 PM

cashier "why yes son, this kid that tried to look older by growing out facial hair came in here with a fake I.D. and tried to buy some liquor and tried to pawn a fake I.d. yes sir he did. he be no more then 16 that kid."

psh

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 11:00 PM

The second post said it all: not worth it.

Just forget it. Don't go to the place again. If someone you know frequents the place, tell them your story. Find somewhere else to go. End of story. No more stress. No more problems.

Several people in this thread have given that advice. I'd recommend listening to it.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
Cherish the fact you're still being carded. Seriously.

There will come a day when there will be no doubt as to your age. And when it does, you'll look back and either wonder why you were angry about such things, or be angry over the fact that you're getting too old.

And give your business to someone who deserves it.
File this under sad but true.

There's no such thing as "getting even". You're playing yourself by even letting it get to you. Buy alcohol elsewhere or learn to deal with the commonfolk without constantly getting into arguments. Some situations need to be dealt with in a diplomatic and nuanced way.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
or learn to deal with the commonfolk
Funny thing is, he is not any different than them.

I wonder how Rob would react if HE was the cashier. OMG, that guy trying to buy alcohol with the fake ID would probably be dead by now.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'd love to hear the cashier's side of the story.
Really ?

Not me. Rob's side is always more entertaining.
I would probably fall asleep just hearing the "other" side"

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 27, 2007, 11:43 PM

The cashier probably uses chapstick.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2007, 12:27 AM

The cashier probably uses chapstick. Afer work he drives a Bose-equpped SUV, parks sideways in the compact parking section, grabs the squeakiest shopping cart and holds up the express checkout line trying to pay for his twenty-ONE items by check. It is there that rob will taunt the dude with a thoroughly licked knife. The guy, noticing rob has a pack of beer in his cart will tell the supermarket cashier that rob is under age. The finale we've all been waiting for will finally be realized when rob dives to stab the liquor store cashier, but miss and accidentally stab Suzie, the part time supermarket cashier. Rob will go to jail, where he will unsuccessfully try to convince his cellmate that he knows martial arts. The two of them will discuss the prevalence of AIDS in the prison population as the rest of us create the longest thread in MacNN history: photohacking his mugshot a bajillion different ways. The one with the most lens flare wins. Robs wife carries his torch and haunts the boards about how her man doesn't deserve this kinda treatment and if he comes out of prison gay it will be The Lounge's fault for provoking him all these years.
Fixed.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
They reserve the right. That's what makes America so great.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
Fixed.
Yep, that about sums it up.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 01:24 AM

In the end the only reason they are being pricks is because the government is full of pricks who want to control us, telling us what we can and cannot do, telling businesses what they can or cannot sell, and to whom.

If you really want to vent your anger towards someone, vent it to the retarded 21 drinking age and the consequences of violating the laws thereof.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 01:33 AM

we are all sheep, we must follow suit. psh

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2007, 01:47 AM

Fixed.
Nice

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 01:49 AM

I think to get even, Rob should get on the internets and talk smack about them.

They got a web page? HARRAS IT!!1

Call them up and ask them if their refrigerator is running.

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Jan 28, 2007, 01:51 AM

tip off the police that hes smuggling cocaine in thru his bum.. he'll never forget an experience of anal probing lol

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 01:52 AM

Rob has already had the FEDs visit him once.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2007, 01:53 AM

Oh the good ol' days of MacNN.

-t

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jan 28, 2007, 02:05 AM

Gee...I hope nobody tips off the state police that Rob is contemplating illegal activities once again.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 02:38 AM

Rob, I'm not saying this to be a dick, but if you feel you need to "get back" at them for this then you are not mature enough to drink anyway. Grow up, get over it.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 03:33 AM

please enlighten. a PM is alright as well, or just use the spoiler tag

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2007, 07:10 AM

Search the forums for "sniper meat".

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Don't do anything Rob. I'd hate to see NN's most lively member get in big trouble again.

People who deal in the liquor biz tend to be pretty scummy anyways, a lot of them are mafia or ex-debt-collectors or people who run gambling operations on the side. I'm not kidding, my dad has dealt with these types of characters through a construction project. In this case, it simply isn't worth it.
Construction and booze, another winning combination.

Rob, if you do go back there just go with more proof that you are in fact your age (and as many receipts from competing shops) and then just don't shop there anymore. I can't imagine it is hard to find booze where you live.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 09:43 AM

The first step I'd take is to go online and start a thread on the internet about it. Then I'd start a petition that my human rights have been violated. If that doesn't help then incessant whining to strangers sure will.

Jeez. Grow some already.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
From a cashier? Cashiers do not tell ME what to do.
Just looking over your post again, I got snagged on this.

WTF kind of an asshole are you, anyway?

If that's the attitude you exude when shopping, there's hardly a store clerk on the planet who wouldn't take the greatest pleasure in taking whatever opportunity might present itself to deny you business and then remove you from the premises, with a smile.

I know I would.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Filing a false police report? WINNAR IDEA.

I'd file a complaint with the BBB and the state AG. I'd also call the DMV/RMV/DOT to see if there are any laws regarding refusing a valid ID.
I did file a complaint with the BBB, then called htem up and told the cashier to tell his boss who likes to hang up on people to expect a report from the BBB.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Seems to me that being required to check IDs gives some dumbasses the idea that they hold a position of power. I just want to say, you're a frickin' cashier! Not a cop, not a judge, and most certainly not in charge of anyone's ID but your own.
Exactly why it pissed me off when this moron ORDERED me to replace my ID. **** him. He works a cash register, and can't see very well.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Maybe I just don't sit inside my house all day and actually go outside. I don't cause problems. I'm polite to strangers. I'm courteous to other drivers. I always use my signals. Do you know the one thing I don't have much tolerance for?

STUPIDITY.

And some guy claiming my ID is invalid because he can't see my holograms, which are clearly visible, and then ordering me to get it replaced and treating me like a criminal is bullshit. It's even more bullshit when I call his boss to complain about his behavior and he hangs up. I'm not a huge pussy, and I stick up for myself. The only time I wouldn't would be with the MKE PD. They're corrupt as hell, and frankly, they scare me.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by tavilach View Post

Your namecalling directly resulted in your friend not getting his whiskey. People don't like being called dicks, and sometimes revenge is simply a matter of refusing service. Congrats.
I don't even think he heard me actually, I said it under my breath. But no, your logic is flawed. The cashier was ready to complete the transaction, but I ended it because I was insulted by his treatment to me. So then the guy refuses service to my friend becuase "I was under 21" even though upon second inspection he had seen my holograms and accepted it as valid.

Your logic is corrupt. Fix it.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 12:37 PM

Fixed.
Reported.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 12:38 PM

2 wrongs don't make a right. If someone is doing wrong, "Karma" will take care of itself. You also doing wrong will toss yourself in the same Karmic spin.

Forum Links
Forum Rules