Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Calling C Programmers... Linux and OS X knowledge necessary... ;^)

Calling C Programmers... Linux and OS X knowledge necessary... ;^) (Page 2)
monyschuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2001, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by SYN:
<STRONG>installed as root, works fine now. Thanks.

however QT doesn't seem to be able to read the created mpg file... odd.</STRONG>
Probably that "endian" thing...

You can find a copy of the binary at ftp://ftp.oaai.com/pub/ports/ffmpeg.tgz.

Regards,
Mark

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: monyschuk ]
GLYPHIX
"Kicking Visio's Butt" since 1998
http://www.oaai.com/

Tan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2001, 12:25 PM

Monyschuk:

Writing two threads, good idea, but sounds like lots of work! (Having to use the source to write the thread... I'm really bad at working with someone else's source, that might be why! Are you going to support MsMPEG4v3 only, or other formats as well?)

Without the MPEG1 encoding, the decoding thread would run much faster than 50 fps. BRW: I think there would be problems detecting the right FPS for your output thread, just reminding you!

Also, I think trying to reuse the codes from Mplayer would save lots of your time!

I hope any of this helps.
Have fun coding!

SYN
Senior User
Aug 20, 2001, 03:19 PM

W00t!!

Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

monyschuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2001, 03:27 PM

Hi Tan:

Two threads aren't too much of a problem. Put locks around queue access and encapsulate that nicely in a pair of methods and you're most of the way there - that's the principal point of contact. And synchronization shouldn't be too difficult since each of the two threaded processes is running in a tight loop - so checking for a "pause" or "rewind" or whatever should be straightforward.

Plus, by decoupling the decode and the play, I've got way more options with respect to supporting slow displays or fast decodes. I don't have to calculate the time to decode + display and guess how long to sleep between frames knowing full well that I might guess wrong if a series of packets all of a sudden involve lots of motion, and decoding time (relatively speaking) shoots up unexpectedly.

I've looked at Mplayer and I think (modulo the boatload of C code that's going to be in the Mac viewer anyway), going MT will result in a cleaner app (it'll also give you another reason to be glad for purchasing your MT tower :-)

Regards,
Mark

ps. plus it'll make for a real nice and meaty source code example of building an MT Cocoa app. If you've got to ship the source, might as well make it source worth shipping :-)

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: monyschuk ]
GLYPHIX

SYN
Senior User
Aug 20, 2001, 04:32 PM

Well, if you're aiming to make the code an example, you might as well add some AltiVec code while you're at it, to make us glad we got a G4

This thing works great. Only problem is QT's never really been a MPEG superstar, it's playing back my 24fps MPEG1 file at 20fps or so, on a 400MHz G4 with 512Megs of Ram. I've tried a few options in transcoding, such as -sameq and -qscale, nothing doing. Is there some magical setting to not lose fps? Might as well wait for the player though.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2001, 10:32 PM

<STRONG>it's playing back my 24fps MPEG1 file at 20fps or so, on a 400MHz G4 with 512Megs of Ram. I've tried a few options in transcoding, such as -sameq and -qscale, nothing doing. Is there some magical setting to not lose fps?</STRONG>
Yes. Play it in OS 9 or (hopefully) wait for the next revision of QuickTime in OS X 10.1. QuickTime ALWAYS plays MPEGs at a lower frame rate in OS X than in OS 9. It's crap. There's no excuse for these inefficiencies in an operating system like this.
I abused my signature until she cried.

<easy>
Aug 21, 2001, 04:54 AM

now that we have the ffmpeg, is there a chance that there is someone that can make a gui for it, i know that most of you figured out how to use it but im lost=(
if i had something i could just dubble clik on=)
that asked me to select a file and where to place the output
it would make it so much easyer.
and with a few options it would be perfect=)

Mark you are the man=)
and not to forget -=(Lord Crosis)=- if it haddent been for him in the first place, we would never have had a chance in the divx world.

thanks

Tan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 06:40 AM

To monyschuk:

O.K... That was stretching my programming knowledge! Having two threads is good, but I dout there would be a *significat* gain in speed with MP machines (if that's what MT stands for).

(PS: I'm just jelous, I only have G3 400 iMac!)

I guess there would be no port for OS9... Another reason to leave that ancient achitecture!

(PS: which programme are you using to write/compile Cocoa?)

Another thing, is the Coregraphics/coreaudio route have accelerations built in? Also, how are you dealing with the audio?

Just curious...

LordRPI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by monyschuk:
<STRONG>

Regards,
Mark

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: monyschuk ]</STRONG>
Mark,
Do you have the ffmpeg.c file of that modification? If so, could it be posted someplace?

I've treid using ffmpeg and I've had a bit of problems with audio/video synch and having it detect the right framerate in the first place. I've done some experimenting trying to output at different framerates, but the mpeg1 stream ends up being different lengths.

-David

monyschuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 04:20 PM

<STRONG>Well, if you're aiming to make the code an example, you might as well add some AltiVec code while you're at it, to make us glad we got a G4

This thing works great. Only problem is QT's never really been a MPEG superstar, it's playing back my 24fps MPEG1 file at 20fps or so, on a 400MHz G4 with 512Megs of Ram. I've tried a few options in transcoding, such as -sameq and -qscale, nothing doing. Is there some magical setting to not lose fps? Might as well wait for the player though.</STRONG>
Yeah... I noticed that. That's the principal reason I decided to take the somewhat more complex player route (rather than the cheap shortcut of just streaming something into a QT view). CoreGraphics + CoreAudio should be able to do better than that.

Cross fingers, everybody. I'm going to be finding out soon enough :-)

Regards,
Mark
GLYPHIX

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2001, 05:46 PM

I'm trying to compile from the source at ffmpeg's Website, but I'm running into trouble. Here's a log...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
millx@localhost[~/Downloads/ffmpeg]$ ./configure
Install prefix /usr/local
C compiler /usr/bin/cc
CPU Power Macintosh
MMX enabled no
gprof enabled no
grab enabled yes
Creating config.mak and config.h
millx@localhost[~/Downloads/ffmpeg]$ make
make -C libavcodec all
/usr/bin/cc -O2 -Wall -g -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -c -o mjpeg.o mjpeg.c
mjpeg.c:<font color = blue>429</font>: bad macro argument list
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic mode
make[<font color = blue>1</font>]: *** [mjpeg.o] Error <font color = blue>1</font>
make: *** [lib] Error <font color = blue>2</font>
</font>[/code]Any ideas?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

LordRPI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 06:31 PM

Hey guys,

I got a response from Adrian Bourke (person who brought project mayo's OpenDivx to the Mac:

on 17/8/01 5:40 AM, David Wolstencroft wrote:

Adrian,

I wuz kinda wondering about a couple of things regarding DivX for Mac.
I've seen the OpenDivx for mac on the site for quite a while, and I'm
happy and give you much praise for porting this over to the Mac. I was
wondering, though, if it could be possible to, lets say, port DivX 4.0
(not OpenDivX) to the Mac as a QuickTime codec...

I was reading in the forums of DivX.com that they would only start on a
Mac version once the Windblows and Linux versions were complete. Just
kinda find that a little bit... pompous on thier part... Could this be
sped up at all? I'm not trying to make work for you whatsoever, but I
really wanted to know your opinion on the matter.

If it is possible, I would do pretty much anything except drop out of
school to get the DivX 4.0 codec out for the Mac. I would really like to
help out.

--David Wolstencroft

The current mac codec is out-dated, a new one will be released very soon, it
will also include 3.11 DivX movie support also has a new encoder. I will
notify you when this software is released.
--
Adrian Bourke
[email protected]

Sounds good for us (but I'd like it if we got there first)

--David

monyschuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 06:49 PM

Hi Millenium:

I'm trying to reply to tech questions offline to reduce the whole "guru factor" of this thread :-) but I couldn't email you directly. (To all: I'll be hosting a tech thread about this at oaai.com when we're online with our new site).

The trick I found to get around the problem you're seeing is an old NEXTSTEP trick. NeXT, and now Apple, mostly use the stock GNU C compiler, but they use an altered preprocessor in order to support frameworks. You need to add --traditional-cpp to OPTFLAGS to make the whole thing compile.

That should get you working.

Best regards,
Mark
GLYPHIX

<someone>
Aug 21, 2001, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by LordRPI:
<STRONG>
The current mac codec is out-dated, a new one will be released very soon, it
will also include 3.11 DivX movie support also has a new encoder.</STRONG>
It's rather uncredible. Remember, in June, Adrian said that something would be released "in 1-2 weeks". Still nothing.
Hope mode on

But miracles happen sometimes

/hope mode off

LordRPI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 07:18 PM

Yes, hopemode on ;-)

Just a little thing I thought I might add. I've succesfully gotten to transfer DivX to MPEG-1 (in the VCD specs in realtime, but don't have Roxio Toast, or an equivalent burner on my PIII/Windows at home). Now for my little experiment... I converted the MPEG-1 back into DivX at a rate of about 16 frames per sec (one time I hit 24 frames per second) and that output file is playable on a Wintel box running WiMP (minus sound as of now... and under properties it's listed as corrupted). So there is hope for all you DivX encoding freaks like me... I'm going to give it a whirl on an input MPEG2 stream a bit later and hope that works out ok (and with a decent framerate) However, there is no cropping built into ffmpeg, and resizing is painfully slow. But thank god MacMPEG2Decoder, FlaskMPEG and VirtualDub is open sourced... I might just be able to hack it with a little bit of help... and I'm going to read up on my Cocoa too...

Let's keep things exciting ;-)

-David

-=(Lord Crosis)=-  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by &lt;easy&gt;:
<STRONG>Mark you are the man=)
and not to forget -=(Lord Crosis)=- if it haddent been for him in the first place, we would never have had a chance in the divx world.

thanks</STRONG>
And let's not forget Gerard Lantau for writing ffmpeg!

-=(Lord Crosis)=-
www.macopz.com

<Coccyx>
Aug 23, 2001, 01:04 AM

Sorry if I am a moron, but I have been trying to follow the progress of this thred and have become totally lost in the technical jargonconfused: . Is there any hope of using this ffmpeg to play or convert divx in OSX for those of us who dont dare install the dev tools because they would have no idea what to do with them? As someone said up above, I would like somthing i could just double click on

Good luck,

Coccyx

jem
Aug 23, 2001, 01:07 AM

Would it be possible for someone to post a diff for ffmpeg? I'd like to make a Fink package for it, but I'm not sure what changes have been made...

Currently, I'm doing this to configure "./configure --prefix=%p --with-cc=cc" and then "make". However, this is through Fink, which replaces %p with the installation prefix, /sw, in my case, and I have also set CFLAGS as "-no-cpp-precomp". Are there any other changes which need to be made?

When I compile, it seems to reach the end of the libavcodec target, and then fail:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>rm -f libavcodec.a
ar rcs libavcodec.a common.o utils.o mpegvideo.o h263.o jrevdct.o jfdctfst.o
mpegaudio.o ac3enc.o mjpeg.o resample.o dsputil.o motion_est.o imgconvert.o
imgresample.o msmpeg4.o mpeg12.o h263dec.o rv10.o ac3dec.o libac3/bit_allocate.o
libac3/bitstream.o libac3/downmix.o libac3/imdct.o libac3/parse.o mpegaudiodec.o
mpglib/layer1.o mpglib/layer2.o mpglib/layer3.o mpglib/dct64_i386.o
mpglib/decode_i386.o mpglib/tabinit.o
ar: illegal option -- s
usage: ar -d [-TLv] archive file ...
ar -m [-TLv] archive file ...
ar -m [-abiTLv] position archive file ...
ar -p [-TLv] archive [file ...]
ar -q [-cTLv] archive file ...
ar -r [-cuTLv] archive file ...
ar -r [-abciuTLv] position archive file ...
ar -t [-TLv] archive [file ...]
ar -x [-ouTLv] archive [file ...]
make[&lt;font color=blue&gt;<font color = blue>1</font>&lt;/font&gt;]: *** [libavcodec.a] Error &lt;font color=blue&gt;<font color = blue>1</font>&lt;/font&gt;
make: *** [lib] Error &lt;font color=blue&gt;<font color = blue>2</font>&lt;/font&gt;
### make failed, exit code </font>[/code]

So... if someone would be kind enough to post a diff of the source or give me some pointers, that would be great!

Thanks!

[Edit: ... Fixed up some line wrapping, I hope.]
[Edit: Second go at fixing up line wrapping... fingers crossed!]

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: jem ]

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: jem ]

LordRPI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Coccyx&gt;:
<STRONG>Sorry if I am a moron, but I have been trying to follow the progress of this thred and have become totally lost in the technical jargonconfused: . Is there any hope of using this ffmpeg to play or convert divx in OSX for those of us who dont dare install the dev tools because they would have no idea what to do with them? As someone said up above, I would like somthing i could just double click on

Good luck,

Coccyx </STRONG>
Coccyx,
You're not a moron. You have a Mac and that proves how much of a smart guy you really are. Until about 3 months ago, I was totally cluless about UNIX too, so don't worry, you'll catch on. You can, however download a precompiled binary at ftp://ftp.oaai.com/pub/ports/ffmpeg.tgz (thanx for the link, Mark)... and it should be automatically extracted. You'll have to copy it into your usr/bin directory and then the program can be activated through the terminal (applications/utilities) by typing ffmpeg... ffmpeg alone will bring up a basic listing of commands... a good command at the terminal would be... ffmpeg -i infile.avi -vcodec mpeg1video output.mpeg if you need any help, feel free to email me... I'll be glad to help out.

jem, what's Fink?

On another note, ffmpeg doesn't deal with MPEG2 as an input stream... been looking into hacking it from the opensource of MacMPEG2Decoder... but I'm probably not going to be able to do it... or I'll just wait until somebody else does it ;-)

I've also found the source code to "the playa" ... might be helpful

I'm going to try compiling Mplayer under RedHat Linux soon.. and see if there's any point in trying to get it working on XDarwin which I've been looking into.. haven't successfully gotten it working... but maybe in a bit.

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2001, 02:14 AM

Fink is the dream app for unix novices that want to compile and install all manner of unix apps, X86free included. Check it out at http://fink.sourceforge.net/ once you get it bootstrapped you gan use it to download, compile and install X86free, windowmaker, gimp....(hundreds of Xwindows and command line apps). It is based on Debians dkpg and makes life soo much better. Check it out!!! Highly recommended!

Y

<STRONG>

jem, what's Fink?

I'm going to try compiling Mplayer under RedHat Linux soon.. and see if there's any point in trying to get it working on XDarwin which I've been looking into.. haven't successfully gotten it working... but maybe in a bit.</STRONG>

monyschuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 09:13 AM

<STRONG>Sorry if I am a moron, but I have been trying to follow the progress of this thred and have become totally lost in the technical jargonconfused: . Is there any hope of using this ffmpeg to play or convert divx in OSX for those of us who dont dare install the dev tools because they would have no idea what to do with them? As someone said up above, I would like somthing i could just double click on

Good luck,

Coccyx </STRONG>
Hi Coccyx:

Yeah, the jargon - esp. from me - has been pretty thick. Sorry about that; I usually try to confine my geekiness to the office :-)

Hope is that very soon now, you should have a basic OSX player. I'd thought about putting a front end on the UNIX command line tool, but work on the player seemed to be going very quickly so I decided to go "heads down" on it to try and get it out ASAP instead.

I'll post here when the download is available (I'll be working on it today among other things).

Regards,
Mark
GLYPHIX

<rollerdexter>
Aug 23, 2001, 12:12 PM

Regards,
Mark

Thank you!!!!
It works great. I created an MPG1 file from an AVI file where the video was in MSDIVX form and the audio was in mpg3 or something (can't remember).
I can do another conversion and print the txt output from ffmpeg to this forum if you wish.
This is being done on an orange iBook, 300mhz so the process took over an hour for a video about 30 minutes long.
Also, the mpg1 was watchable but barely. It seems the .mov file which macDivX created with its Convert function looked a little better in QT. Specificallly, this was an anime episode with english sub-text and the sub-text was very blurry.
Also, if the conversion using ffmpeg took one hour+ and the movie is only 30 minutes, how can this be turned into a real-time DivX player?
Will it sit there loading the buffer for 35 minutes?
If you need a beta tester using a slow G3 300mhz ibook, I'm your man.
I'm incredibly dissappointed that Apple doesn't have 30 guys working to make QT a video codec babblefish.
BTW, I also just got the new 3vix plugin for QT and it works amazing, at least on the demo video they provide at their website. 3vix is the future I hope!
- miles

rollerdexter
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2001, 12:17 PM

Regards,
Mark

Thank you!!!!
It works great. I created an MPG1 file from an AVI file where the video was in MSDIVX form and the audio was in mpg3 or something (can't remember).
I can do another conversion and print the txt output from ffmpeg to this forum if you wish.
This is being done on an orange iBook, 300mhz so the process took over an hour for a video about 30 minutes long.
Also, the mpg1 was watchable but barely. It seems the .mov file which macDivX created with its Convert function looked a little better in QT. Specificallly, this was an anime episode with english sub-text and the sub-text was very blurry.
Also, if the conversion using ffmpeg took one hour+ and the movie is only 30 minutes, how can this be turned into a real-time DivX player?
I'm incredibly dissappointed that Apple doesn't have 30 guys working to make QT a video codec babblefish.
BTW, I also just got the new 3vix plugin for QT and it works amazing, at least on the demo video they provide at their website. 3vix is the future I hope!
- miles

<someone>
Aug 23, 2001, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by rollerdexter:
<STRONG>I created an MPG1 file from an AVI file where the video was in MSDIVX form and the audio was in mpg3 or something (can't remember).
Also, the mpg1 was watchable but barely.</STRONG>
Put -sameq -me full before the name of the output file. The quality will be much better, but it takes 6 hours to decode 45 minutes (video and audio) on a G4/400. You can try with -sameq only, and see what it looks like (it's certainly much faster).

monyschuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by &lt;rollerdexter&gt;:
<STRONG>You can find a copy of the binary at ftp://ftp.oaai.com/pub/ports/ffmpeg.tgz.

Regards,
Mark

Thank you!!!!
- miles</STRONG>
Hi Rollerdexter:

The time it takes to do a transcode (eg. from DivX to MPEG1) can be long for a couple of reasons. First, for a transcode you're actually engaged in a two step process - decode from MPEG4 then encode to MPEG1. Second, and just from my feel for it, you're running up against a bigger performance block - all of the file I/0 (reading and writing files) that 10.0.4 just isn't really good at.

When I transcoded a DivX file using ffmpeg, I was lucky with my first try and found something that managed to do it in real time (picked a small enough file). Subsequent transcodes ran in less than realtime. But, since then I've taken those files which were transcoding in less than realtime and I've run them in the shell of the movie player, and the thing is working much faster (50+ FPS).

The reason why is that the Movie Player eliminates the two bottlenecks in the transcode operation. Movie Player only decodes, it doesn't re-encode. And Movie Player doesn't hit the disk with a whole lot of file writing as it reads. This makes 10.0.4 much happier :-)

All of my development is being done on a G3/400 BTW. So I'm not writing something that requires a G4 just to run acceptably.

While I imagine people are going to run into movies that the player can't decode in realtime at least in its initial release, I think that a good number of them will work even in version 0.1 :-) If we get a lot of interest and feedback, I'd love to put an engineer on this project full time (right now, this is purely an "after hours" effort for us).

Best regards,
Mark
GLYPHIX

faruvius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by monyschuk:
<STRONG>
If we get a lot of interest and feedback, I'd love to put an engineer on this project full time (right now, this is purely an "after hours" effort for us).
</STRONG>
I know that a working, double clickable app would be something I would pay a few bucks for, even though this particular piece is GPL'd. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to download a long file only to find out that it won't play.
-FaRuvius
"Flush Hard to Stay Strong"

<Coccyx>
Aug 24, 2001, 12:25 AM

<STRONG>

Coccyx,
You're not a moron. You have a Mac and that proves how much of a smart guy you really are. Until about 3 months ago, I was totally cluless about UNIX too, so don't worry, you'll catch on. You can, however download a precompiled binary at ftp://ftp.oaai.com/pub/ports/ffmpeg.tgz (thanx for the link, Mark)... and it should be automatically extracted. You'll have to copy it into your usr/bin directory and then the program can be activated through the terminal (applications/utilities) by typing ffmpeg... ffmpeg alone will bring up a basic listing of commands... a good command at the terminal would be... ffmpeg -i infile.avi -vcodec mpeg1video output.mpeg if you need any help, feel free to email me... I'll be glad to help out.

</STRONG>

On that note, can anyone reccomend a good book or direct me to a website where i can start to learn some of the basics of Unix and the like? I would really like to take advantage of OSXs full capabilities if possible.

Coccyx

jem
Aug 24, 2001, 06:06 AM

<STRONG>

On that note, can anyone reccomend a good book or direct me to a website where i can start to learn some of the basics of Unix and the like? I would really like to take advantage of OSXs full capabilities if possible.

Coccyx</STRONG>
I'd suggest grabbing an old PC box and installing a Linux distribution or a BSD onto it. Play around with it, install different applications, and so on...

A Mac would also be good, but not as well supported as others.

That's the way that I learnt to use Linux, which helps a lot when it comes to MacOS X...

LordRPI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2001, 03:38 PM

DivX 4.0 (non beta) has been realesed for wintel.........

monyschuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2001, 06:13 PM

Well folks, two good things happened today - we've launched our new GLYPHIX website and shipped a new version of GLYPHIX - 2.0.2. Please try it since this is the product we actually charge money for And it's really cheap particularly if you're a student ($49.95)! I've also taken the opportunity to post a forum at the new site dedicated to FFMPEG and the player.

The Forums at OAAI

You'll find a number of other forums at OAAI, including places where you can suggest future products, praise and/or dis' our commercial software and learn about Cocoa programming!

Regards,
Mark

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: monyschuk ]
GLYPHIX

SYN
Senior User
Aug 24, 2001, 06:22 PM

It seems this thread has consequences we haven't imagined yet... Over the week-end I tried my best to compile ffmpeg for BeOS, to no avail... However seems like somebody was already on it, as it's been made available today...

monyschuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2001, 09:06 PM

<STRONG>It seems this thread has consequences we haven't imagined yet... Over the week-end I tried my best to compile ffmpeg for BeOS, to no avail... However seems like somebody was already on it, as it's been made available today...</STRONG>
Must have been all that talk about multi-threading earlier on in the topic

Regards,
Mark
GLYPHIX

LordRPI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2001, 11:42 PM

SYN,
I've succesfully gotten DivX 3.11 alpha working on BeOS on an x86. I forgot where I got it from, but it works great... better than any windows platform I've used. I don't know if you have this package already or just want to give ffmpeg a shot, but I'll finally be back up at College tomorrow and put it up on the web if you want to grab it.

--David

SYN
Senior User
Aug 25, 2001, 05:54 AM

Must have been all that talk about multi-threading earlier on in the topic
LOL!!! Those people more than any other suffer from a compulsive buzzword dependance... Must... have... threads...

You should have seen the look on a BeOS fanatic friend of mine's when he got his hand on a copy of beta OpenGL, and saw GLTeapot running at 600fps on his Radeon. Hey, it's just a teapot

I've succesfully gotten DivX 3.11 alpha working on BeOS on an x86. I forgot where I got it from, but it works great... better than any windows platform I've used. I don't know if you have this package already or just want to give ffmpeg a shot, but I'll finally be back up at College tomorrow and put it up on the web if you want to grab it.
Thanks, but I was trying out ffmpeg, I know DivX 3.11 (this numbering scheme sends shivers through my spine, Win3.11.. eww ) works fine on BeOS with the appropriate .dlls. I just don't like polluting it with Windows libraries... Plus, ffmpeg seems to be even on that platform the fastest transcoder.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2001, 07:08 AM

Any additional news on the 'front-end' front? (truth is I just didn't want this topic to fall to low so I guess you can say this is just a....)

bump

Dave

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Aug 28, 2001, 01:54 PM

Does this ffmpeg decoded ASF and RM files or not?

I've tried one of each, and it says that each is an unsupported format for the import file.

I've "successfully" transcoded a DivX file to MPEG1 (the mpeg looked awful). It took 10 hours to transcode the 2.5-hour movie, with no special options ("./ffmpeg -i Heat.avi heat.mpg")

So I know the program works, kindof. "./ffmpeg -formats" says that RM and ASF are supported for both decoding and encoding. Are there different flavors of ASF and/or RM (like .mov and .avi)?

all this was done on a Pismo 400mhz with 576mb ram and osx 10.0.4
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

SYN
Senior User
Aug 28, 2001, 02:23 PM

.rm files work if they're made with RealProducer ver 3.0 or under. Probablys same limitation for ASF files.

v0id7
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 06:48 PM

what do i do to make a file that the toast 5 vcd option will understand and accept? it keeps spitting out my .mpeg's. heres what i do to make them:

v0id7% ./ffmpeg -i test.avi -sameq -me full test.mpeg

i know its a stupid question but, please help me.
_______void_______

LordRPI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by v0id7:
<STRONG>what do i do to make a file that the toast 5 vcd option will understand and accept? it keeps spitting out my .mpeg's. heres what i do to make them:

v0id7% ./ffmpeg -i test.avi -sameq -me full test.mpeg

i know its a stupid question but, please help me.</STRONG>
The MPEG must have certain attributes to be of the VCD standard...
A VCD MPEG must be
1150 kpbs mpeg1 video (can't use -sameq)
352X240 pixels (for NTSC)
Framerate of 29.97 fps
224kbps Mpeg layer 2 audio...

so a command would be something like:
./ffmpeg -i Heat.avi -b 1150 -s 352X240 -r 29.97 -vcodec mpeg1video -ab 224

I haven't tried it since I dont' have toast, but that's the specs I've used to make vcdz under Windblows

v0id7
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 09:36 PM

im afraid that didnt work, i there anyone reading this who has had success w/ making a vcd from a divx file using ffmpeg and toast?
_______void_______

-=(Lord Crosis)=-  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by v0id7:
<STRONG>im afraid that didnt work, i there anyone reading this who has had success w/ making a vcd from a divx file using ffmpeg and toast?</STRONG>
I've tried dozens of settings and can't seem to get it to work... I had the thought that taking an MPEG and running it through VCD Gear to make it Toast ready might work, but my VCD Gear crashes every time I use it... I think I might have a corrupt copy or something... Maybe later I'll try redownloading it and getting it to work...

Anyone here on a PC feel like trying out the PC ffmpeg and converting DivX to MPEG and tell me how the quality is? All the ones I have done have turned out really bad... I'm wondering if something didn't quite translate to PPC right... Or maybe I just haven't found good settings... ;^)

-=(Lord Crosis)=-
www.macopz.com

v0id7
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2001, 10:51 PM

seems like my problem has killed this thread but here's an attempt to restore it at the top of the list
_______void_______

jem
Aug 30, 2001, 02:56 AM

Hi...

Would someone please be able to post a diff of the source? I'd really like to see what changes were made to the source to get the binary working on MacOS X...

Here is a diff of what I've done so far (plus adding some stuff for Fink):

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
[tigger:Shared/Darwin/patches] jem% cat ffmpeg-<font color = blue>0.4</font>.<font color = blue>5</font>-<font color = blue>1.</font>patch
diff -ru ffmpeg/Makefile ffmpeg-patched/Makefile
--- ffmpeg/Makefile Wed Aug <font color = blue>15</font> <font color = blue>23</font>:<font color = blue>12</font>:<font color = blue>07</font> <font color = blue>2001</font>
+++ ffmpeg-patched/Makefile Sat Aug <font color = blue>25</font> <font color = blue>15</font>:<font color = blue>20</font>:<font color = blue>30</font> <font color = blue>2001</font>
@@ <font color = blue>-19</font>,<font color = blue>16</font> +<font color = blue>19</font>,<font color = blue>16</font> @@
$(MAKE) -C libav all

ffmpeg: ffmpeg.o libav/libav.a libavcodec/libavcodec.a
- gcc $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ $^ -lm
+ cc $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ $^ -lm

ffserver: ffserver.o libav/libav.a libavcodec/libavcodec.a
- gcc $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ $^ -lm
+ cc $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ $^ -lm

%.o: %.c
- gcc $(CFLAGS) -c -o $@ $&lt;
+ cc $(CFLAGS) -c -o $@ $&lt;

install: all
- install -s -m <font color = blue>755</font> $(PROG) $(prefix)/bin
+ install -s -m <font color = blue>755</font> $(PROG) @FINKDESTDIR@$(prefix)/bin

clean:
$(MAKE) -C libavcodec clean
@@ <font color = blue>-41</font>,<font color = blue>3</font> +<font color = blue>41</font>,<font color = blue>4</font> @@

TAGS:
etags *.[ch] libav/*.[ch] libavcodec/*.[ch]
+
diff -ru ffmpeg/ffmpeg.c ffmpeg-patched/ffmpeg.c
--- ffmpeg/ffmpeg.c Tue Aug <font color = blue>14</font> <font color = blue>07</font>:<font color = blue>24</font>:<font color = blue>19</font> <font color = blue>2001</font>
+++ ffmpeg-patched/ffmpeg.c Sat Aug <font color = blue>25</font> <font color = blue>15</font>:<font color = blue>36</font>:<font color = blue>47</font> <font color = blue>2001</font>
@@ <font color = blue>-26</font>,<font color = blue>7</font> +<font color = blue>26</font>,<font color = blue>6</font> @@
#include &lt;fcntl.h&gt;
#include &lt;sys/ioctl.h&gt;
#include &lt;sys/time.h&gt;
-#include &lt;sys/poll.h&gt;
#include &lt;termios.h&gt;
#include &lt;sys/time.h&gt;
#include &lt;sys/resource.h&gt;
diff -ru ffmpeg/libav/Makefile ffmpeg-patched/libav/Makefile
--- ffmpeg/libav/Makefile Wed Aug <font color = blue>15</font> <font color = blue>08</font>:<font color = blue>32</font>:<font color = blue>50</font> <font color = blue>2001</font>
+++ ffmpeg-patched/libav/Makefile Tue Aug <font color = blue>28</font> <font color = blue>11</font>:<font color = blue>35</font>:<font color = blue>19</font> <font color = blue>2001</font>
@@ <font color = blue>-16</font>,<font color = blue>7</font> +<font color = blue>16</font>,<font color = blue>8</font> @@

$(LIB): $(OBJS)
rm -f $@
- $(AR) rcs $@ $(OBJS)
+ $(AR) rc $@ $(OBJS)
+ ranlib $@

%.o: %.c
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c -o $@ $&lt;
diff -ru ffmpeg/libavcodec/Makefile ffmpeg-patched/libavcodec/Makefile
--- ffmpeg/libavcodec/Makefile Mon Aug <font color = blue>13</font> <font color = blue>08</font>:<font color = blue>52</font>:<font color = blue>36</font> <font color = blue>2001</font>
+++ ffmpeg-patched/libavcodec/Makefile Tue Aug <font color = blue>28</font> <font color = blue>11</font>:<font color = blue>35</font>:<font color = blue>05</font> <font color = blue>2001</font>
@@ <font color = blue>-47</font>,<font color = blue>7</font> +<font color = blue>47</font>,<font color = blue>8</font> @@

$(LIB): $(OBJS) $(ASM_OBJS)
rm -f $@
- $(AR) rcs $@ $(OBJS) $(ASM_OBJS)
+ $(AR) rc $@ $(OBJS) $(ASM_OBJS)
+ ranlib $@

dsputil.o: dsputil.c dsputil.h
</font>[/code]

However, eventually I get this:

ar rc libav.a rm.o mpeg.o asf.o avienc.o jpeg.o swf.o wav.o raw.o avidec.o ffm.o avio.o aviobuf.o utils.o udp.o http.o file.o img.o
ranlib libav.a
cc -no-cpp-precomp -Wall -g -I./libavcodec -I./libav -c -o ffmpeg.o ffmpeg.c
cc -g -o ffmpeg ffmpeg.o libav/libav.a libavcodec/libavcodec.a -lm
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_url_get_packet_size
_url_is_streamed
_av_log2
_get_rl_index
_getbits_fast
make: *** [ffmpeg] Error <font color = blue>1</font>
### make failed, exit code <font color = blue>2</font>
</font>[/code]

So... it seems that some libraries are needed which are not being included. Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks!

<coccyx>
Aug 30, 2001, 07:02 PM

the link to the binary doesnt seem to work. I just get an error in IE when I try to follow the link, I tried to get it with terminal too but only got errors as well. Is there an alternate d/l site? I think i have finally figured out some of this terminal stuff....

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2001, 09:01 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not totally following whats going on.

It seems as though this could eventually be made into a Quicktime plugin.. So this means we could be Divx movies in Quictime which would be awesome. I've also heard that this even supports the Real format, and the WMP format...

Sooo.. Could we eventually play WMP (.asf, .asx) Real (.ram) and Divx (.avi) all in Quicktime? This would be truly awesome.. and I think it'd really help Apple gain marketshare with quicktime.

Thanks to anyone that can answer my question,

Ben

strobe
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2001, 01:50 AM

You can implement a CODEC or an importer.

If you have an .avi or .mov which has an encoded stream you can't use, you'll want to make a CODEC. An example of this is .avi files with indeo video streams.

If you have a format like MPEG or .vob or whatnot which has to be demuxed, you'll want to make an importer.

<AdrianB>
Sep 11, 2001, 05:15 AM

The Mac port of DivX 4.0 is coming along very well. It is in the end stages of beta. When we have a tested and bug-free version of the beta build we will release this. I will not give a release date (it'll get me into trouble....). This of course plays 3.11 DivX content, DivX (mpeg4) content, and also allows encoding of DivX content. Will include Classic and OS X builds.

AdrianB
[email protected]

aaroncsmith
Sep 11, 2001, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by &lt;AdrianB&gt;:
<STRONG>The Mac port of DivX 4.0 is coming along very well. It is in the end stages of beta. When we have a tested and bug-free version of the beta build we will release this. I will not give a release date (it'll get me into trouble....). This of course plays 3.11 DivX content, DivX (mpeg4) content, and also allows encoding of DivX content. Will include Classic and OS X builds.

AdrianB
[email protected]</STRONG>
Great News.

Maybe we should start thinking about Pay-Pal-ing some of these guys some money to thank them for their efforts.

LordRPI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2001, 05:29 PM

I'd definately say so. And I only want my money going to the guys who worked on the Mac version and who supported it from the beginning.

Adrian, is this for Project Mayo or DivX Networks??? I know they're the same company but is the DivX 4 that you're talking about based on open divx or the divx found on divx.com?

Also why would you get in trouble if you gave a release date?

Could any of us become beta testers ;-) ?????

Thanx Adrian.. you're the bestest. What's your email adress so i can give you a pay-pal donation?

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: LordRPI ]

<AdrianB>
Sep 14, 2001, 10:35 PM

Adrian, is this for Project Mayo or DivX Networks??? I know they're the same company but is the DivX 4 that you're talking about based on open divx or the divx found on divx.com?
This would be for DivXNetworks, so the DivX 4 found on divx.com
Also why would you get in trouble if you gave a release date?
Because I am too optimistic ;P

Could any of us become beta testers ;-) ?????
Yeah, when the beta is released :-)

Thanx Adrian.. you're the bestest. What's your email adress so i can give you a pay-pal donation?
Your welcome, no donation is necessary, thank you for your offer.

Adrian Bourke
[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules