Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > apple screwing me over

apple screwing me over
timmyH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 11:44 AM

just writing to see if anyone can impart some advice. I have had an ongoing problem with my apple ibook, pretty much from when i brought it around 1 year and 10 months ago. Loads of minor probs that went in for repair only to come back ten times worse, eg, opening the cd tray to find 4 or 5 screws fall into my lap. This happened 7-8 times whilst under warrenty. Anyhow, just as warranty ran out the ibook went tits up a couple of months ago, hard drive meltdown, fan failure, screen visuals failing etc. I was pissed at the continuing problems so i sent a fax to Steve Jobs personally and he forwarded it to Exec Relations in the UK to resolve. I lost a lot of data in the meantime so sent it to a pro data retrieval co, who upon opening found internal damage to the casing, screws in the wrong holes or completely missing from the chassis and motherboard and a dodgy fan repair - the only people who had even had the machine apart before this was the apple repair centre. After this i sent the machine to apple UK exec relations outlining the situation backed up by a letter from the data guys and they basically said, pay for a full repair or take the computer back broken. To say i am annoyed would be understatement of the century - thay are so unhelpful at customer service and i have just hit a brick wall. I therefore have just sent another fax to Steve to get the whole thing sorted. Do you think there are any people i can get in touch with to help me in this situation, maybe to make some noise about how crap apple have been with me? Has anyone else had this treatment? They have me over a barrel because i have built my business around apple computers and products so i daren't go near a PC.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Tim

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by timmyH:
just writing to see if anyone can impart some advice. I have had an ongoing problem with my apple ibook, pretty much from when i brought it around 1 year and 10 months ago. Loads of minor probs that went in for repair only to come back ten times worse, eg, opening the cd tray to find 4 or 5 screws fall into my lap. This happened 7-8 times whilst under warrenty. Anyhow, just as warranty ran out the ibook went tits up a couple of months ago, hard drive meltdown, fan failure, screen visuals failing etc. I was pissed at the continuing problems so i sent a fax to Steve Jobs personally and he forwarded it to Exec Relations in the UK to resolve. I lost a lot of data in the meantime so sent it to a pro data retrieval co, who upon opening found internal damage to the casing, screws in the wrong holes or completely missing from the chassis and motherboard and a dodgy fan repair - the only people who had even had the machine apart before this was the apple repair centre. After this i sent the machine to apple UK exec relations outlining the situation backed up by a letter from the data guys and they basically said, pay for a full repair or take the computer back broken. To say i am annoyed would be understatement of the century - thay are so unhelpful at customer service and i have just hit a brick wall. I therefore have just sent another fax to Steve to get the whole thing sorted. Do you think there are any people i can get in touch with to help me in this situation, maybe to make some noise about how crap apple have been with me? Has anyone else had this treatment? They have me over a barrel because i have built my business around apple computers and products so i daren't go near a PC.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Tim
Did the ibook ever work?

Did it work for the 1st year and after that you took it in for repair?

As with all things, people have different experiences.

I dont' know the situation.

did you buy it from apple on ebay?

If you can afford to, I would move on and just buy a new ibook.

I dont' know if you are looking for money or just an apology, which I'm not sure you will ever get.

I've been there before with other companies.

Adn it does sour you. But at the same time, I remember, it's still a business.

If you write a respective letter, they should at least respond. Or right a letter that says I still want to spend 10,000 on apple computers in the future, but if you dont' refund my money or give me a credit, I will swtich to PC and give dell all that business and tell my clinets to do the same.

Threats work too.

I guess you could always sue for the amount of the computer.

But if you can, move on. Life is too short for it to get under your skin.

timmyH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 06:09 PM

I bought the ibook through an official apple outlet, i treated it with kid gloves, never overloaded it nor dropped it etc. To say it worked in the first year, isn't strictly true, it worked sure, but it went back and forth for repairs so many times that it was out of my hands for a large part of the time - it was a headache from the start - so when it blew i'd had enough. I don't care how popular a company is, you should never pay 1500 for something, look after it only for it to completely die less than two years later...i'm sorry that is just bad workmanship and faulty parts, and for apple to bury their head in the sand as if nothing is wrong, to be frank disgusts me. I am as pro apple as anyone here, but this leaves a seriosuly sour taste in my mouth regarding the company.

Forum Links
Forum Rules