Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Spec'ing Mini for prepress

Spec'ing Mini for prepress
frailer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2010, 12:45 AM

Have seen some stuff on a nn forum-related blog, but copy here for greater visibility. It's about possibly swapping in SSD for a normal HDD.
Am only mildly tech-savvy...we are about to order 2 Minis for prepress apps machines, to open Adobe files (CS5), do basic stuff, but also edit supplied PDFs in Pitstop Pro...also some PhotoShop edits/work as required...
I like the logic of the 5400 vs 7200 argument. (that speed gains were, at best. marginal). Basically could be flogging a dead horse.
My plan A was to get 2GB RAM/500GBHD/faster CPU. Then swap out RAM for 2x4Gb from OWC. I can't quite pin down whether the upgraded size 500 drive would be 5400 or 7200. I think the server version is 7200. Can anyone confirm?
Also, what's involved in putting in a SSD in place of the spinning HD? Does it simply sit in the same place and get plugged into the bus?
Thanks, if anyone can help...
frailer

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2010, 02:08 AM

I say don't bother with the 7200 rpm drive. Opt for 8GB of RAM.

If you need to speed, you might as well go with the new iMacs.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

frailer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2010, 04:59 AM

Thanks, hyteckit. Do you happen to know if the 500GB upgrade drive on the non-server Mini is the same (7200rpm) as the one on the Server Mini? For the extra $$ we'd probably go for the larger capacity anyway, regardless of spin-rate. And yes, on RAM, the 8GB's a must.
Thing is, I'm a one-man crusade against iMacs in prepress environment, because of the displays in them. But that's a whole other discussion, and I may send you to sleep if I start.

If anyone cruising this thread has a new, 2010, Mini, and are running, by chance, Adobe CS5, particularly PhotoShop, I would really appreciate some feedback on performance, even just an impression of (relative}, speed. Particularly zoom/screen redraws etc...

ChrisF
Senior User
Aug 13, 2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by frailer View Post
Thanks, hyteckit. Do you happen to know if the 500GB upgrade drive on the non-server Mini is the same (7200rpm) as the one on the Server Mini?
The 500GB disk in the desktop Mini is a 5400 rpm drive.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by frailer View Post
Thanks, hyteckit. Do you happen to know if the 500GB upgrade drive on the non-server Mini is the same (7200rpm) as the one on the Server Mini? For the extra $$ we'd probably go for the larger capacity anyway, regardless of spin-rate. And yes, on RAM, the 8GB's a must.
Thing is, I'm a one-man crusade against iMacs in prepress environment, because of the displays in them. But that's a whole other discussion, and I may send you to sleep if I start.

If anyone cruising this thread has a new, 2010, Mini, and are running, by chance, Adobe CS5, particularly PhotoShop, I would really appreciate some feedback on performance, even just an impression of (relative}, speed. Particularly zoom/screen redraws etc...
I don't think the built-in display on the iMac should exclude it from being considered. Just attach at external display to the iMac.

Check out some becnhmarks for the iMac with stock HD, SSD, and eSATA drives.

Benchmarks: OWC TurnKey Upgrade/Installation Program for Apple iMac 27" 2010 Models (iMac11,3) - Add Solid State Drive (SSD), eSATA Port, and/or additional options | OtherWorldComputing.com

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2010, 10:45 AM

Well, I just bought a new Mac Mini and a new iMac.

Wow, the iMac is so much faster than the Mac Mini. Probably due to the faster processor and the discrete video card in the iMac. Makes a whole lot of difference.

Oh, the LCD screen on the iMac is nice!

Oh, I like my new Mac Mini as well.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 17, 2010, 03:09 PM

And the hard drive; I don’t agree with the 5400RPM thing, I think it makes a big difference to go with 7200RPM. In the iMac, not only is it 7200, it’s also a desktop drive, which is just plain faster.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
And the hard drive; I don’t agree with the 5400RPM thing, I think it makes a big difference to go with 7200RPM. In the iMac, not only is it 7200, it’s also a desktop drive, which is just plain faster.
Only makes a small difference when opening files, copying files, extracting files, booting up, and launching apps.

To me, I boot my computer once a month. I have all my apps I need open all the time because I have enough RAM.

So to me spending all the time and effort to upgrade the Mac Mini to a 7200rpm drive is not worth it. I guess you can always get it BTO.

But at that price point, it would be better to just go with the iMac when can support more RAM and already comes with a 7200rpm hard drive. And the iMac comes with the bluetooth Magic Mouse and keyboard.

I just don't know why the OP is so against the iMac. The iMac would be better suited for the OP.
( Last edited by hyteckit; Aug 17, 2010 at 09:50 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules