Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini - video "static" using DVI - why no fix yet?

Mac Mini - video "static" using DVI - why no fix yet?
Ye Olde LC User
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 12:45 AM

Hi. I'm another new Mini owner who's suffering from what's becoming the number one complaint with the Mini - static-like video corruption when using DVI. A lot of folks on Apple's own support forums are reporting it, with no answer from Apple so far. Take it back? Call into an Apple centre? I love the little thing, but it's going to be pretty useless unless this can be fixed. My monitor works perfectly at the *exact* same resolution with my PC. Any suggestions?
( Last edited by Ye Olde LC User; Feb 25, 2005 at 12:58 AM. )

TheGameguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 10:48 AM

same here...my mini is gathering dust until this can be fixed by Apple..

I have a really nice 23" LCD thats useless with the mini.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2005, 11:55 PM

I'm running my mini on an 18" Dell LCD using DVI. I'm running at 1280x1024.

No problems here.

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2005, 12:34 AM

It works fine on my lcd as well but that doesn't do anything for those who are having a problem. I wish I had some useful suggestion, I'd start with calling Apple and seeing what they say about it. You do get 90 day telephone support, I think.

bananas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 12:49 PM

I had the same problem with my Mini when it was connected to my 23" Apple cinema display
(the previous model with the ACD connector), but calling the Apple support line really didnt help at all.
I got through
to a very helpful Indian tech-supoprt guy who had not heard of the problem, but after going through
the scripted troubleshooting, he suggested taking it to my local Apple authorised support dealer
so he could 'replace the faulty part'.
(Sigh, yes, im quite sure that the service center will be able to replace an integrated graphics card.)

Anyway, my call to the local service center was hopeless as they had never seen one before, so couldn't
help. Back to square one.
Another call to the Apple help-line resulted in being told that they could get another service center
to come and collect it, assess what the problem is and then return it to me..again, a completely
unsatisfactory solution - how many weeks would it be gone for? For a brand new product, this is
unacceptable.
I then asked if I could take it back to the Apple store where I had bought it, which was acceptable to her
(which could have been a lot easier to suggest that in the first place).

Once I had my replacement Mini in my hands I was annoyed (to say the least) that it was exhibiting
the same problems (flickering green pixels on dark areas of the screen), but I eventually identified
the problem to my Formac ACD to DVI connector.
Once I had replaced it with an Apple ACD - DVI connector, the picture was perfect.

I had been using this Formac ACD - DVI connector for 18 months to connect my PC to the display and
that NEVER displayed any problems, so its obviously something to do with the integrated graphics card.

Anyway I hope that helps if youre running an ACD apple screen!

truckweb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 02:15 PM

YES! I'm not alone!

I have the same problem with my NEC LCD1920NX. If I use the VGA plug, it works great in 1280x1024 but I have that "static" or dancing green/red pixels on my screen with DVI.

I've installed ATI drivers, no change. So this must be a hardware problem. Send the mini back? I waited 4 weeks for the thing!!

No Apple Store here in Montreal...

( Last edited by truckweb; Mar 1, 2005 at 08:42 PM. )
Truckweb.
Apple Mac mini - 1.42Ghz, 512Mb, SD, AE

Ye Olde LC User  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 07:59 PM

You guys should read the Mac mini display topic over at Apple's support website - there seem to be a lot of people suffering with this. To deal with this all it really needs is Apple to say, "it'll be fixed in software", and people will probably stop talking about it. My biggest concern is that it's a hardware problem, and Apple are hoping to ride out the early adopter complaints until they can make v1.1 ...

truckweb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2005, 04:45 PM

The forums are full of people having this problem. But when you call the Apple Support, they allways say that it's the first time someone call for this �static problem�...

Oh well, time will tell.

NEVER BUY REV.A HARDWARE. WAIT FOR REV.B!!!

Right now, I feel like i'm a beta tester for Apple....
Truckweb.
Apple Mac mini - 1.42Ghz, 512Mb, SD, AE

kon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2005, 07:12 PM

I gave up on this one. I think the problem is inherent in the actual hardware. Here's what I posted to another list:

As for the video, the ATI chipset has much the same problem as my
desktop ATI - running the system in 1920x1200 generates 'pixel
corruption noise' on my monitor screen (no this is not the screen, the
cable, or the monitor (or the OS)). So I have it running on the DVI-VGA
connector. Apparently it must have a 165Mhz TMDS which explains the
maxing out right around 1920x1080@60Hz. Nvidia and some other
manufacturers fixed this issue by tweaking the blanking interval times,
and ofcourse you can drop the refresh rate. Unfortunately (yes I
re-iterate) the ATI sucks -- besides the XML configuration file to tweak
the ATI driver there is not much else to do. ATI's 'control panel' can't
even identify their own chipset (it comes up as vendor unknown - I
suspect either ATI or Apple changed a bit on the firmware ID. Stupid.).

Forum Links
Forum Rules