Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac G5 Leopard Upgrade

PowerMac G5 Leopard Upgrade
Churnd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2008, 10:01 AM

I'm trying to upgrade one of my PowerMac G5's to Leopard. No matter what I do, I cannot get it to boot to the install disc. When I put the DVD in, it's ejected after 5 seconds. I tried cloning the DVD onto a firewire drive, selecting it as the startup disk from System Preferences... this didn't work either. I even set up a netinstall image on my netboot server, which the boot loader would not recognize.

The boot loader itself is the older "Classic" type. When I have the firewire drive plugged in and hold down Option while booting, only the main HD shows up as a bootable option.

The firewire drive works on all other Macs I've used it on, as well as the DVD and netinstall image. There's another similar G5 that I've successfully installed it on, so I'm not sure what's going on here. I've tried resetting the boot loader by "command+option+o+f" then "reset-nvram" and "reset-all". These didn't help. I'm at loss for whatever else it could possibly be. Please help!!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2008, 04:19 PM

The earlier G5s have firmware updates available for them, maybe that will help.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Churnd  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 04:40 PM

It actually turned out to be a bad SuperDrive. For some reason, it was keeping the Mac from booting to anything other than the internal hard drive. I guess Apple codes the EFI firmware like that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules