Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone

The iPhone (Page 2)
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 04:42 PM

It looks exciting, but i'll have to wait until my Verizon contract ends this July. Then i'll dig into it a little more. i have a four year old Moto T720, which i was looking to replace this July anyway, and the address/contact and iTunes features will definitely make this worthwhile investigating. I'm kind of bummed about Cingular being the only provider, as I've been with Verizon for six years and have had no problems with coverage anywhere east of the Mississippi, except the mountains of Virginia/Pennsylvania on ocassion.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
I think this is less of an oversight and more of a deliberate omission. Since Apple is in bed with Google now, maybe the new iChat in Leopard and the iChat in iPhone will be powered by Google Talk.
Ah, but Apple is in a menage a trois with Yahoo AND Google. How will they determine which chat protocol to support?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 04:43 PM

Also, regarding the multi-touch stuff, I wonder if they hired some of the guys from these multi-touch experiments or if they simply were 'inspired' by it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Ah, but Apple is in a menage a trois with Yahoo AND Google. How will they determine which chat protocol to support?
They already support one.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
You'd pay more than desktop computer for phone with way less storage and capabilities?

Ya, because I have no use for a desktop computer while this serves three functions for me.

goMac
Posting Junkie

I'll be getting one. Be switching off Verizon to move to Cingular.

1) Verizon is most likely not carrying the phone because they would not be willing to work with Apple. Verizon does not let anything happen on their networks because they want everything to go through them and charge people for it. This is why Apple doesn't work with Verizon.
2) It actually will work well with iSync. Do you know how many devices just work like crap with iCal?
3) Visual Voicemail is very nice, another pet peeve with phones that I have. Even worse, Verizon makes you dial into their voice mail.
4) Internet and email support is exactly what I need.

The negatives?

1) 8 gigs is kinda small. Won't fit all my iTunes.
2) No iChat?

Price is right on target. There are worse Windows Mobile devices that cost more with 2 year contract.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

turtle777
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
The bigmouthed turtle was wrong ...yet again, the Apple iPhone is VoIP capable.
Where was I wrong ?

Show me, where does it say that it's VoIP capable ?

-t

kmkkid
Professional Poster

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Apple's now connected to AOL, Google, and Yahoo. And Yahoo is connected to MSN now. This is wierd. Hopefully it spells MSN support within iChat.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus

MY GOD PEOPLE! Apple releases what everyone has been clamoring for, dreaming and speculating about -- a widescreen touch iPod and an amazing-looking mobile phone that runs Safari and Mail and more and all I see is negativity here? Hell, this is practically the Apple PDA that everyone has been wanting, and still everyone is bitching about it. I am amazed.

I'm definitely getting one. I'm already with Cingular and for me they have been just fine (better reception than T-mobile in my area at least). My only real concern (aside from the price, which is admittedly a tad steep) is that the screen appears to be unprotected. How does that work?

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
* iChat - no iChat surprises me.
What is this?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
Give me an unlocked one and I would probably buy one today.
It IS unlocked. I don't think you HAVE to get cingular...

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
What is this?

SMS. Not iChat.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 04:48 PM

What is this?
SMS
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 04:48 PM

MY GOD PEOPLE! Apple releases what everyone has been clamoring for, dreaming and speculating about -- a widescreen touch iPod and an amazing-looking mobile phone that runs Safari and Mail and more and all I see is negativity here? Hell, this is practically the Apple PDA that everyone has been wanting, and still everyone is bitching about it. I am amazed.

I'm definitely getting one. I'm already with Cingular and for me they have been just fine (better reception than T-mobile in my area at least). My only real concern (aside from the price, which is admittedly a tad steep) is that the screen appears to be unprotected. How does that work?
There is no point in protecting the screen IMHO. I've never had a scratch on a cell phone screen...

What is this?

Quick chat-like SMS. Just like my SE phone had 3 years ago.

passmaster16
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 04:49 PM

I wouldn't look for a Verizon model anytime soon. I recall when the Razr came out and it took quite a while for it to go CDMA. And even at that, it was pretty buggy, my wife has an old v3c from when it first came out on VZW. Plus, wifi phones don't work into VZW's strategy of crippling functionality to extract more money out of the consumer. I'd wouldn't mind the iPhone on the Verizon network but if they would get it, it'd probably be stripped down just like they do to everything else. It's a shame because it's the only reliable service in my area.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 04:50 PM

It is perfect. Now how do I get one cuz they don't mention Canada.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
There is no point in protecting the screen IMHO. I've never had a scratch on a cell phone screen...
Have you ever had a cell phone with a touch screen before?

Quick chat-like SMS. Just like my SE phone had 3 years ago.
Does it work just phone-to-phone? Is it possible that iChat would be given support for this, rather than making iChat work on the iPhone?

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer

Fido I'm pretty sure, since they use the same network as Rogers now.

But Really, Rogers is the Leading company in every aspect within Canada, it's really a no-brainer to choose Rogers.
Yes, I'm on Fido... but they were bought by Rogers a while ago anyway.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 04:51 PM

...all I see is negativity here?
This is surprising to you? I thought you were smarter than that!

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 04:52 PM

Apple is guaranteeing a flop by picking a single carrier. Everyone I know is on verizon, hence free interservice calling, then there are the contract issues. This all applies to whatever carrier you are with, tmobile, etc. See, they are cutting out a HUGE chunk of potential buyers this way. Why? It doesn't make a lick of sense to me. It's like offering a car that only runs on BP gasoline, or a computer that only uses AOL to go online. Cingular, in my neck of the woods, has atrocious coverage, it's not just opinion of carriers, it is how well they work in your market. Just like the car analogy, what if there are only 2 bp stations, and they are across town. My prediction, as cool as this is, if you don't offer it for all carriers, this will quietly fade away due to lack of sales. I would buy one tomorrow if I could get it without using cingular's crappy service, so would about 5 other friends of mine. The cool-ness factor only takes you so far.

I think they would also do well by offering one without iPod functionality, they have sold millions of iPods, why would everyone want to replace their iPods that work perfectly well? Sure, one less gadget to carry around, but if I could pick up one of those phones for $200 less, I'd be perfectly happy to carry around my iPod for another year or two (til it died). And as an additional bonus, maybe it would get better battery life

Just my $.02
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 04:52 PM

Does it work just phone-to-phone? Is it possible that iChat would be given support for this, rather than making iChat work on the iPhone?
AIM has a SMS to internet bridge. However, you need a separate app to use it.

With Edge support and WiFi support, it would just be easier for AIM to log right into it's network.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 04:53 PM

This forum is a big pessimistic playground for disgruntled nerds. It's funny that in a Mac forum, 95% of the people thing that Apple never gets anything right.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ratspittle View Post
Everyone I know is on verizon, hence free interservice calling, then there are the contract issues.
I bet Apple would love to work with Verizon, but I already explained why this won't be happening above.

In short: Verizon hates any device that uses content that doesn't come from Verizon.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I bet Apple would love to work with Verizon, but I already explained why this won't be happening above.

In short: Verizon hates any device that uses content that doesn't come from Verizon.
Ain't that the truth. T-mobile isn't that far behind.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Ain't that the truth. T-mobile isn't that far behind.
I'm getting the iPhone, and I won't miss Verizon or it's crippled phones one bit.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN

I really like this phone but I'm a little sad that it's Cingular only. I'm on TMobile, but come September (I think my contract expires then) I will definitely look at this phone.

I'm okay with the price, since it is everything I've wanted in a phone/browser, but the 8gb size is a little low.
I figure it'll probably be set with my iTunes to sync 1 unwatched movie, the newest unwatched episode of each video podcast, the last month worth of photos. I figure that'll be around 2gb, and then say 6gb or so of music.

That'll work nicely.

Here's my 'worry'. No widescreen hard drive iPod. I can't believe Apple isn't going to bring the large iPod to this format. Sans phone and PDA function, but touchscreen widescreen iPod.

Come to think of it, I'd buy one of those also.

I wonder if the iPhone supports Nike+ since it is flash based?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN

Wonder how hard it is to unlock these puppies. Even then how can I buy one without a contract?!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN

I'm not. Steve could hand out the Perfect Gadgetâ„¢ for free to every two-legged creature walking the earth, and there would be whiners in here.

BlueSky
Mac Elite

Methinks it's pretty cool, wish I had use for one. Reminds me of Cartman's Trapper Keeper 2000.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie

Unless they (Verizon) want to be passed up by cool idea after cool idea, they need to loosen up. It's going to hurt them in the long run.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Wonder how hard it is to unlock these puppies. Even then how can I buy one without a contract?!
Apple already said Cingular has had to make changes to their network to support the iPhone. I doubt this phone will work on any other network.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane

You'd pay more than desktop computer for phone with way less storage and capabilities?

Most people pay more for laptops with inferior capabilities than they do for desktop computers. Think of this as an ultra-small laptop.
Chuck
___

Goldfinger
Professional Poster

Have you ever had a cell phone with a touch screen before?
Yup, for a short while. Wasn't any different than a normaal screen...
I don't keep my keys in the same pocket as my cell

It's just plain SMS. The iPhone remembers all your previous messages and makes it look like a chat conversation. Pretty stupid interface IMHO. Maybe that's because americans use sms differently then we do ?

On a side note: There was no talk about MMS either..

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 04:59 PM

Steve mentioned you can buy from Cingular or Apple. I wonder if this means you can buy unlocked from the Apple Store.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Most people pay more for laptops with inferior capabilities than they do for desktop computers. Think of this as an ultra-small laptop.
But it's not. It doesn't run full OS X applications. AFAIK.... It's basically a PDA/Phone, with iTunes.

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:01 PM

Well, at least I come off still feeling good about my iPod 5.5g purchase, even if I wasn't interested in a touchscreen iPod to begin with.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Apple already said Cingular has had to make changes to their network to support the iPhone. I doubt this phone will work on any other network.
I think they were just talking about those voicemails.

It is a GSM quad phone not some special technology.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane

It's just plain SMS. The iPhone remembers all your previous messages and makes it look like a chat conversation. Pretty stupid interface IMHO. Maybe that's because americans use sms differently then we do ?
This seems to reflect the way people use SMS in America. Japan too, from what I'm told. What do people do in your neck of the woods?
Chuck
___

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:03 PM

Steve mentioned you can buy from Cingular or Apple. I wonder if this means you can buy unlocked from the Apple Store.
He prob means but an iPhone AND a cingular contract in the applestore just like many resellers do.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
This forum is a big pessimistic playground for disgruntled nerds. It's funny that in a Mac forum, 95% of the people thing that Apple never gets anything right.
You're right. But Apple always seems to make the most amazing things, yet, beyond any scope of reason or business sense, does something horrificly stupid that spoils the whole deal. Sometimes.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Where was I wrong ?

Show me, where does it say that it's VoIP capable ?

-t
:slaps the turtle for being stupid:

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Super Mario
Jan 9, 2007, 05:04 PM

The Quicktime demos make me drool so hard.

It is Intel and OS X. Does this mean anyone can code apps and widgets for the iPhone?
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:55 PM. )

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I think Apple did alot right. But the iPhone is the MacPro of phones.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
:slaps the turtle for being stupid:

V
WTF, tell me

-t

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 05:06 PM

I think they were just talking about those voicemails.

It is a GSM quad phone not some special technology.
Right, the network connection is probably still the same, but Cingular probably had to shift around their backends somewhat.

They've said the phone is staying exclusive to Cingular for two years. I don't think you're going to be able to activate it with anyone else, or even get it without a plan.

Super Mario
Jan 9, 2007, 05:07 PM

It IS unlocked. I don't think you HAVE to get cingular...
It is unlocked. Jobs said those prices were with the contract. Kripes it must cost more without contract.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 05:08 PM

I love it.

A bit pricey though, and 8 gigs is pretty small if you start saving a ton of pictures and tv shows on it.

I wonder how rugged it is? I've dropped my cell phone more times then I want to count. It looks like it's been through a war. I wonder how the iPhone would do after a three foot drop onto pavement.

I wonder how hard it is to replace the battery? Two years is a long time.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 05:09 PM

You know, for all the people whining about the price, the same thing happened with the iPod. It started out expensive, but eventually they diversified the line and came out with cheaper models. The same thing will happen here.

Super Mario
Jan 9, 2007, 05:10 PM

WTF, tell me

-t
Probably VOIP only for .mac users right??? If it supports VOIP who will be handling the communications protocols? Jobs didn't mention VOIP at all.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 05:10 PM

Yes, it is. EDGE is 2005ish.

-t
Why? What are you talking about? Sorry but give me some arguments. Have you tested UMTS against EDGE? Which carrier in which area in which country? What kind of hardware have you used?

nexus5.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2007, 05:11 PM

But it's not. It doesn't run full OS X applications. AFAIK.... It's basically a PDA/Phone, with iTunes.
TUAW has said this, but hasn't elaborated:

The iPhone will run OS X, and be capable of running desktop-class applications.
I doubt that anyone is going to be loading Photoshop on their iPhone, but what if it's possible for developers to make applications for it? That really would make it an Apple PDA.

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Here's my 'worry'. No widescreen hard drive iPod. I can't believe Apple isn't going to bring the large iPod to this format. Sans phone and PDA function, but touchscreen widescreen iPod.
My guess is that they're using the iPhone as a way to introduce a new form factor to the iPod line, and that we'll see a similar "real" iPod in the future. Whether that means that the scroll wheel is on the way out is hard to say (hope not).

Forum Links
Forum Rules