Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My new replacment MBP 15 warped

My new replacment MBP 15 warped
maxsuz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 02:50 PM

First, I wanted to thank everyone here for assisting me with these purchase(s). This is only the 2nd Mac I have ever purchased. 1st Mac was a MacPro purchased three weeks ago - it arrived DOA. I have since replaced it with the newly released MBP 15 C2D.

However, I just unwrapped my new MBP 15, and low and behold the case is warped . When you close the screen there is a 1/4" gap (measured on a v caliper) on the left hand side - the right side is flush. Other then this defect - the MBP seems to work fine. Anybody see anything like this before on their new MBP's?

Should I return it for another MBP - or cut my loses on Apple. I know most of you are die hard Apple fans, but don't you think it's kinda bad when you order a MacPro and it arrives DOA and the replacement MBP arrives warped.

It must be a sign, or is it just my bad luck.

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 04:24 PM

It's absoluytely bad. However, the powerbooks and macbook pros made of aluminum have often been warped like yours. I thought this particular issue had been solved, but apparently not.

I would decide whether this is very important to you. If it is, I'd try one more before you give up. If the computer is otherwise satisfying, I'd just keep it and deal with it.
Sorry for the less-than-useful reply...

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 04:31 PM

Replace it. The warping could be indicative of some other problem.

atc ben
Nov 14, 2006, 04:47 PM

I would definitely get a replacement. My MacBook Pro lines up perfectly when closed. It's fast, beautiful and it runs OSX. You paid over $2K for that machine. A warped one is unnacceptable.

Situations like this aren't that uncommon. I've worked in retail and I've had customers that ordered a product from me, and despite my companies best efforts, they received defective merchandise on more than one occasion. Bad luck? Freak occurence? I dunno. I do know that it's really, really bizarre, and it can and DOES happen. Eventually though, my company made it right and the customer was happy, or at the very least, satisfied. Meanwhile we helped thousands of other customers that never had a problem.

Get your replacement. Hopefully, all the stars will align properly, and you'll get a perfect computer like so many have done already. Good luck!
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2006, 07:18 PM

I've read some posts where they twist or bend the LCD frame back into shape successfully, but would not advise it.

BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 08:30 PM

As the previous posters said, returning the wapred MBP would be the good choice. A new notebook computer should not be warped to begin with.

gix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 10:12 PM

yes, like others sad, you need to send this mbp for replacement. Usually there could be a gap once you close the lid, but 1/4" is just too much. When i close mine, there is only 1/16 inch gap, besides i am using a marare mat; without mat, it will be less than 1/16 inch.

jlftrsh
Nov 14, 2006, 11:32 PM

My MBP Core 2 Duo case was also warped - a slight protrusion in the lower case in the thin strip of aluminum just above the latch. I sent it back about a week ago, and am waiting for a repair/replacement. Withdrawal symptoms are awful...

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by jlftrsh View Post
My MBP Core 2 Duo case was also warped - a slight protrusion in the lower case in the thin strip of aluminum just above the latch. I sent it back about a week ago, and am waiting for a repair/replacement. Withdrawal symptoms are awful...
I had the same exact warp on my 2nd replacement MBP C2D in addition to a defective latch. Shipping it back tomorrow and am hoping my 3rd MBP will be problem free. My first MBP did have a slight lid warp, whereas the 2nd one was completely flush.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 11:59 AM

wow 1/4"?!?!? My MBP - 15"RevA 2Ghz - has a mildly warped lid, but only .08 - .10" on one side. Thought about trying to bend it, but I had visions of the LCD cracking, so I decided to let it be. It's only when the lid is shut and that's usually only when it's in its sleeve. Not a problem in my eyes, everything else is fine. I've had the left fan replaced and two dead batteries, so it hasn't been trouble-free, but is quite acceptable for a RevA portable...

I would return it though with that much warpage.

Z

Forum Links
Forum Rules