Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > So Who's Getting the Nokia Lumia 900?

So Who's Getting the Nokia Lumia 900? (Page 3)
amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2012, 02:11 PM

which makes it very clear why Nokia is rated just above junk bond status.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Apr 20, 2012, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Nothing new. They've been losing money for several quarters.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2012, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Nothing new. They've been losing money for several quarters.
Man, you just don't give up do you?

Didn't Microsoft give them $1 Billion not that long ago?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2012, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Man, you just don't give up do you?

Didn't Microsoft give them $1 Billion not that long ago?
Hey! Don't let facts and figures get in the way of a juicy aggravating thread!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2012, 08:55 AM

Isn't it kind of inevitable that Microsoft will buy up Nokia at some point?

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2012, 09:19 AM

Microsoft's pattern is more about abandoning products and partners when things don't work out.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Apr 22, 2012, 09:50 PM

Skype full version just hit the App Marketplace today. Just downloaded it. Looks great! Doesn't ring if Skype is running in the background if you're using a Skypein number, but when Apollo hits, that'll happen.

This is pretty awesome though having Skype now. MS's acquisition of Skype makes perfect sense to me now. They buy it; launch it on Windows Phone; customers gravitate toward WP because of - in part - Skype; they compete with FaceBook and FaceTime/iMessage in the process.

Ah, the chess game of the tech world...

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/ap...b-c0a3f4360a51

abby
Apr 24, 2012, 01:33 PM

oh nice! made me think twice!

freudling  (op)
Banned
Apr 29, 2012, 05:45 PM

Steve Wozniak: Windows Phone is more beautiful and intuitive than Android, it's 'no contest' | The Verge

He's so impressed by it, in fact, that he defines the experience of using a Windows Phone as feeling like you're "with a friend not a tool."

freudling  (op)
Banned
Apr 29, 2012, 05:47 PM

Overwhelming’ US demand sets UK launch of the flagship Nokia Lumia 900 Windows phone back by more than two weeks

Nokia Lumia 900 delayed in UK - Telegraph

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2012, 08:00 PM

Steve Wozniak: Windows Phone is more beautiful and intuitive than Android, it's 'no contest' | The Verge

He's so impressed by it, in fact, that he defines the experience of using a Windows Phone as feeling like you're "with a friend not a tool."
You missed the part where he said:
Originally Posted by Woz
Wrong. iPhone is my favorite phone. I did give my opinion that the Windows 7P phone had superior visual appearance and operation cues that were also more attractive. In my opinion, it sets the mark for user interface. I would recommend it over my Android phones given that it doesn’t yet have the breadth of apps. I surmise that Microsoft hired someone from Apple and put money into having a role in the UI and appearance of some key apps. I also surmised that Steve Jobs might have been reincarnated at MS due to a lot of what I see and feel with this phone making me think of a lot of great Apple things.
Apple Founder Inventor Steve Wozniak: Why I Love My Windows Phone 7.5 |

freudling  (op)
Banned
Apr 30, 2012, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I didn't miss that part at all. The bottom line and why I posted it: Woz has the same opinion as me. He likes Windows Phone. Thinks is nice and better than Android. Reminds him of the iPhone. My fav phone, like his, is still the iPhone but the Lumia is a very close second.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2012, 08:09 AM

And, yet, he still caveats his recommendation for WP7 with the fact that "it doesn't yet have the breadth of apps".

freudling  (op)
Banned
Apr 30, 2012, 11:46 AM

And, yet, he still caveats his recommendation for WP7 with the fact that "it doesn't yet have the breadth of apps".
We all read that. Bottom line is he likes WP. No contest over Android. That's it.

In other news, LG has balked at WP. They're not going to make handsets for it because they haven't seen enough traction yet.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2012, 01:31 PM

LG's Windows Phone hardware really only had a hardware keyboard going for it. The Samsung Focus was a much better device.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2012, 04:50 PM

We all read that.
You say this, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that you don't always take note of things that conflict with your opinions (ie: apps are irrelevant)

freudling  (op)
Banned
May 1, 2012, 04:27 AM

You say this, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that you don't always take note of things that conflict with your opinions (ie: apps are irrelevant)
There's a difference between people who like to argue on the Internet by pointing something out that they perceive to negate something, and reality. Reality is that Woz likes WP 7 and thinks it's better by an order of magnitude than Android. I found it interesting and posted it here as it supports the view I have.

No, WP doesn't have as many Apps as iOS, but saying that Apps are a problem is at this point a bit foolish. They're now pushing 70,000 and growing daily, everything from Angry Birds to Skype.

Funny how everyone in the Mac community praises Apple yet Apple has had so much less native OS X and before that Classic Mac OS apps compared to Windows. Yet, it doesn't make Apple's computers or operating system suck.

My point is that using the "lack of Apps" approach to discount or severely criticize an operating system is essentially useless. It says nothing about the operating system itself. Of course Apps are important but what we're interested in is whether WP has a real chance in the market. Based on the merits of the OS alone, like speed, integration, fit and finish, UX, it's second only to iOS in my experience, and way better than Android. Turns out, some others agree.

Having said all this, I have no idea if it will make it in the long-term. There are lots of indications that it will, and some indications that it won't.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2012, 08:26 AM

There's a difference between people who like to argue on the Internet by pointing something out that they perceive to negate something, and reality. Reality is that Woz likes WP 7 and thinks it's better by an order of magnitude than Android. I found it interesting and posted it here as it supports the view I have.

No, WP doesn't have as many Apps as iOS, but saying that Apps are a problem is at this point a bit foolish. They're now pushing 70,000 and growing daily, everything from Angry Birds to Skype.

Funny how everyone in the Mac community praises Apple yet Apple has had so much less native OS X and before that Classic Mac OS apps compared to Windows. Yet, it doesn't make Apple's computers or operating system suck.

My point is that using the "lack of Apps" approach to discount or severely criticize an operating system is essentially useless. It says nothing about the operating system itself. Of course Apps are important but what we're interested in is whether WP has a real chance in the market. Based on the merits of the OS alone, like speed, integration, fit and finish, UX, it's second only to iOS in my experience, and way better than Android. Turns out, some others agree.

Having said all this, I have no idea if it will make it in the long-term. There are lots of indications that it will, and some indications that it won't.
I'm not discounting the WP7 operating system. The WP7 operating system is great; it's unique and has an interesting focus on social. BUT, without the right applications it's useless. As a user, I don't care how great the OS is, if I can't do the same things with it that my friends can do on their Androids or iPhones. Also, because it's UI is so unique, applications that don't follow the Metro design patterns end up creating a disjointed experience. There are many such applications in WP7 that chose to follow iOS design patterns instead.

This is my point: you heard Woz say "WP7 is Great!". But, you completely discounted his other two points:
- except for the lack of apps
- he still prefers iOS

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2012, 09:07 AM

It's not just about the apps that WP7 doesn't have; it's also about the apps that it probably WON'T have. When the next greatest thing is launched, I know it will probably be iPhone compatible at launch and there's a good chance it'll be Android compatible not long after. But, I don't know if it will ever be WP7 compatible.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 1, 2012, 11:11 AM

Turns out Nokia made more money from licensing patents to Apple than it made selling phones:

Nokia has earned more from iPhone than selling Lumia Windows Phone 7

"Nokia actually lost money selling mobile devices over the last quarter, resulting in a $1.7 billion overall loss despite the launch of a variety of new Lumia devices. " (hint: Junk status)

Can't survive long when you're losing money selling phones...unless you've got valuable patents! Which is why Google bought Motorola Mobility. And the same thing is likely to ultimately happen to the Nokia patents.

"Last year, Google agreed to pay an astounding $12.5 billion to acquire Motorola Mobility, which like Nokia has been losing money making smartphones. Also like Nokia and Microsoft, Google has been earning significantly more revenue from Apple's iOS than its own Android platform."

What? Oh look: Google is making more money from Apple's iOS than from its own Android platform.

Same thing with Nokia and Microsoft.

That's a winning long-term strategy!

freudling  (op)
Banned
May 1, 2012, 12:15 PM

It's not just about the apps that WP7 doesn't have; it's also about the apps that it probably WON'T have. When the next greatest thing is launched, I know it will probably be iPhone compatible at launch and there's a good chance it'll be Android compatible not long after. But, I don't know if it will ever be WP7 compatible.
So what Apps is it missing? Oh right, you've never used WP.

freudling  (op)
Banned
May 1, 2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Turns out Nokia made more money from licensing patents to Apple than it made selling phones:

Nokia has earned more from iPhone than selling Lumia Windows Phone 7

"Nokia actually lost money selling mobile devices over the last quarter, resulting in a $1.7 billion overall loss despite the launch of a variety of new Lumia devices. " (hint: Junk status)

Can't survive long when you're losing money selling phones...unless you've got valuable patents! Which is why Google bought Motorola Mobility. And the same thing is likely to ultimately happen to the Nokia patents.

"Last year, Google agreed to pay an astounding $12.5 billion to acquire Motorola Mobility, which like Nokia has been losing money making smartphones. Also like Nokia and Microsoft, Google has been earning significantly more revenue from Apple's iOS than its own Android platform."

What? Oh look: Google is making more money from Apple's iOS than from its own Android platform.

Same thing with Nokia and Microsoft.

That's a winning long-term strategy!
I have heard that Nokia has sold over 5 million Lumias. What you say in this post is not true. Go and read Nokia's q report. The difference between Nokia and others is scale. Nokia is too big. They need to scale down and focus on fewer phones. Fhey're still acting like the giant they were, including making junk feature phones that aren't very profitable. A part of this is all the pressure they're under to keep people employed.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2012, 12:45 PM

So what Apps is it missing? Oh right, you've never used WP.
Wrong. As I've told you, I'm working on a WP7 app right now. I used a WP7 as my primary device for a month to familiarize myself with the platform. The lack of Instagram alone would keep me off the platform.

freudling  (op)
Banned
May 1, 2012, 01:43 PM

Wrong. As I've told you, I'm working on a WP7 app right now. I used a WP7 as my primary device for a month to familiarize myself with the platform. The lack of Instagram alone would keep me off the platform.
Oooh Instagram. Whatever shall one do!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2012, 02:50 PM

Oooh Instagram. Whatever shall one do!
And, here's your problem with all things. You assume that what matters to you is what matters to everyone. For many people, these devices are used for socialization, and a lot of people socialize through Instagram. Just because it's not valuable to you doesn't mean it's not valuable to others.

It's the social space that will make or break wp7. When new social spaces become popular, I expect that to be compatible with my smartphone.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2012, 03:08 PM

Instagram is Facebook. They'll make it work on platforms they support.

freudling  (op)
Banned
May 1, 2012, 05:52 PM

And, here's your problem with all things. You assume that what matters to you is what matters to everyone. For many people, these devices are used for socialization, and a lot of people socialize through Instagram. Just because it's not valuable to you doesn't mean it's not valuable to others.

It's the social space that will make or break wp7. When new social spaces become popular, I expect that to be compatible with my smartphone.
Lots of social Apps on WP. FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram competitors, and soon, Instagram! They've been working on it since February.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2012, 01:02 AM

Lots of social Apps on WP. FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram competitors, and soon, Instagram! They've been working on it since February.
Great. That only took, what, 20 months for Instagram to make it to WP7? This is the problem; WP7 is the last platform to be considered for development, if at all. All of my friends are playing Draw Something. Long before Draw Something shows up for WP7, it'll be long obsolete.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2012, 07:45 AM

freudling, what are your thoughts on the BB 10 platform.?

freudling  (op)
Banned
May 7, 2012, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
freudling, what are your thoughts on the BB 10 platform.?
It looks, to my surprise, very good. Cutting edge.

But they have a huge battle in terms of finishing the port of the PlayBook OS QNX to phones. And then market acceptance.

But I do think there's room in the market for it. Android has really become a bleeding mess. According to some data it seems to have peaked and can be taken down by lawsuits... another competent OS could take its place.

But in the end, financially RIM is dire. I doubt they'll make it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2012, 04:15 PM

I have heard that Nokia has sold over 5 million Lumias. What you say in this post is not true. Go and read Nokia's q report. The difference between Nokia and others is scale. Nokia is too big. They need to scale down and focus on fewer phones. Fhey're still acting like the giant they were, including making junk feature phones that aren't very profitable. A part of this is all the pressure they're under to keep people employed.
Ouch.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/19/3169199/nokia-phone-sales-figures-operation-rolling-thunder
analyst estimations of 330,000 Lumia sales in the US over a period of around four months may be accurate. The firm revealed four million Lumia sales in Q2 2012, double the previous quarter — but with the lack of phone sales growth and break down of individual device sales it's hard to say whether the Lumia 900 has had much impact in boosting Windows Phone's market share in the US. One thing that is clear from today's results is that, try as it might, the majority of Lumia sales are still outside the US — an important market that Nokia needs to succeed in.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 25, 2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Ouch.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/19/3169199/nokia-phone-sales-figures-operation-rolling-thunder
I said:

I heard Nokia sold over 5 million Lumias.

The firm revealed four million Lumia sales in Q2 2012, double the previous quarter

Nice! So 6 million Lumias sold! Looks like I was pretty spot on. Thanks for pointing out that I was right.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2012, 10:15 PM

It looks, to my surprise, very good. Cutting edge.

(…)
freudling, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions in a topic related to MS&Nokia's efforts. Are you working on the BB 10 platform.? I wonder if BB has the talent to play second fiddle to the dominant iOS-Android duo.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 10:20 PM

Ouch.
I said:

The firm revealed four million Lumia sales in Q2 2012, double the previous quarter

Nice! So 6 million Lumias sold! Looks like I was pretty spot on. Thanks for pointing out that I was right.
I didn't point out that you were right.

I didn't even point out that you were wrong.

I merely pointed out that the US numbers look pretty devastating. You know, because this thread is about the Lumia 900, and tha US is a pretty big and important market, and you asked who was buying one.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2012, 08:15 AM

I said:
I love how you're telling us how great the Lumia 900 numbers are, while also telling us how bad the very similar Amazon Fire numbers are.

SocialCarpet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2012, 10:46 AM

FWIW I am a lifelong Mac user. In fact, my first computer was an Apple II plus, so I've been using Apple computers longer than probably most people on this forum. Long before they became trendy, all through the lean years when people thought Apple would go out of business.

I've been pretty faithful to the brand, though never a blind fanboy or apologist.

I use a MacBook Air i7 as my daily driver....

but I've never owned an iPhone and my current phone is a Lumia 900.

Why?

I've owned an Android phone and found they were awful and unreliable.

I've had Palm OS (not WebOS) phones and they were good back in the day.

I've had BlackBerry's and they were good relatively speaking, years ago when there was little else.

I considered an iPhone, but as much as I love Mac OS X, I just can't seem to muster the same love for iOS. It just seems like it's barely changed over the years. I don't see a lot of innovation in the same grid of icons motif that hasn't changed much since my black and white Palm Treo with an LCD screen.

I LOVE Apple, but there's just something about having just a grid of icons and a separate app for everything and having to hit a single button to return to home when you're done.

It rubs me the wrong way. It's 2012, it seems like smartphones should have evolved beyond this by now.

I tried very, very hard to love the iPhone, but nothing about it grabbed me. I'm bored with iOS and I've never even owned an iPhone. After 5 years of the same grid of icons. The same rounded glassy Aqua theme. It's just so ubiquitous that it bores the hell out of me.

That combined with the tiny screen on the iPhone and the fragile glass backing just kind of kept me away.

Windows Phone 7.5 is still missing some important features, but what attracted me to it was FRESH THINKING.

The way the UI works is actually very innovative and quite intuitive. Time after time I went back to the phone store and played with lots of different devices and despite years of being generally biased against Microsoft, for some reason, I kept coming back to Windows Phone. I didn't have to "try" to like it, it just felt right right away. The live tile idea really works. The other OS elements, particularly the hubs, like the People Hub are brilliant, basically one portal you go to from which you can access all kinds of functions. It's just a completely different way of looking at things. Rather than a separate app for everything, Windows Phone is more focused on letting you interact with your information in different ways from one place. Inside the People Hub I can easily drill down to interact with a friend in a number of ways. I click my friends picture, I can call, text or email them or send a Facebook message from there, I can review all of our previous communications in those formats. I can browse all the pictures of them, both the pictures I have as well as their own pictures on their Facebook page... I can do ALL of that from inside the People Hub, one "app" without ever leaving one or two main screens.

I don't even use a Facebook application now. I have no need for it.

There's a lot more, but I won't bore you with the details.

Basically as a long-time, loyal Apple user and Microsoft doubter, I am beyond amazed that something this innovative and brilliant came out of Redmond. It still makes no sense to me, but there you have it.

So I'm sold on Windows Phone and as far as the apps thing people keep harping on, well I've got every app I need or want so far except for Draw Something, and I'm over that.

I think Windows Phone 8 is only going to bring more amazing things, all the missing features will be resolved and we'll see the untapped potential of this platform really start to blossom.

As for the "retina" thing, well Windows Phone 8 devices will have options with 1280x720 resolution, so I'm not too worried about it. I don't care about pixel density, I care about how many pixels I get to work with and 1280x720 means a lot more pixels than 960x640.

As an Apple fan, I always want to see Apple succeed and continue to innovate in the way they do best, but I am beginning to worry that Apple is resting on it's laurels. Their designs have become boring. I haven't seen anything interesting design-wise since the first Macbook Air and even that was no where near as inspired as the things they were doing a few years back.

Look at the iMac G4. Now the that was an inspired piece of hardware. Even the original iMacs in all the playful colors.

Now all Apple makes is silver rectangles of various sizes that are easily mimicked by their competitors within a few months after they hit the shelves. Sure, the rectangles get thinner and faster, but that's about it.

What happened to the playful Apple I knew. The Apple that wasn't afraid to take risks and come out with fresh new designs?

I'm hoping the iPhone 5 proves me wrong, I'd be happy to pick up an iPhone next instead of another Nokia, but the relatively mild evolutionary changes to iOS6 don't have me all that optimistic.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2012, 04:03 PM

Mild evolutionary steps may be a bit dull, but they are vastly more practical. There is no sense redesigning something from scratch every year just for the sake of it. You spend a fortune in R&D and testing, retooling your factories and you are constantly stuck with first generation products that will suffer from typical first generation design or manufacturing flaws. Bottom line: If it ain't broke....

Microsoft had to redesign because they had to differentiate. Apple had already established how its done, and Google and others tried their best to copy it so Microsoft couldn't do their usual rip-off trick as even that had already been done to death. The problem is that they won't sell enough phones, so they will do it again once or twice before they give up altogether.

I can see why you'd be bored by the grid of icons, though I have had iPhones since they launched in 2007 so I'm not sure you are justified in your boredom having never owned one. Siri will eventually allow Apple to change this if they like but its still learning, being refined and of course has yet to be opened up to 3rd parties. I for one can't wait for that to happen.

I liked the G4 iMac too but the larger screens tended to get lop-sided after time, the necks made them awkward and expensive to repair and they took up a whole lot of space when you shipped them (something which was nigh impossible without the original box and polystyrene insert). Apple can probably ship 3 new iMacs in the same space they shipped a single G4.

I'm not with you at all on large screen phones. The big Samsung Galaxy phones and the Lumia 900 are both ludicrously massive for phones. I suppose if someone built it there would always be a few customers who'd buy a phone with a 30" LCD on it.

I'm not sure they are as easily mimicked as you think either. Every iPhone clone I've seen has been inferior and obviously so. I haven't seen anyone copy the unibody laptop casings either, those were a much better innovation than many people appreciate.

You can get a glass back for your iPhone 4 on eBay for under $10 and fit one in under a minute. It might not have been their best idea ever but it isn't going to break the bank if you do manage to break it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2012, 07:48 PM

I love how you're telling us how great the Lumia 900 numbers are, while also telling us how bad the very similar Amazon Fire numbers are.
You project your own drivel onto it. I never said the numbers were great. You see and hear what you want to see and hear. I addresses the figure. The facts. And these are not Lumia 900 numbers, these are Lumia numbers.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2012, 07:52 PM

I didn't point out that you were right.
I didn't even point out that you were wrong.
I merely pointed out that the US numbers look pretty devastating. You know, because this thread is about the Lumia 900, and tha US is a pretty big and important market, and you asked who was buying one.
You came on here to troll, like you always do. You private message me to telling me to stick it yet you come on a thread I started. That's the only reason you're here. You don't care about the Lumia or any of this.

Anyway, to other visitors to this thread... who cares about the US market anyway, Nokia has been dying there for years. Nokia is pretty much dead. Somebody should just take the Lumia and Meego it on updated versions.

OreoCookie
Jul 27, 2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
Windows Phone 7.5 is still missing some important features, but what attracted me to it was FRESH THINKING.
The way the UI works is actually very innovative and quite intuitive. Time after time I went back to the phone store and played with lots of different devices and despite years of being generally biased against Microsoft, for some reason, I kept coming back to Windows Phone. I didn't have to "try" to like it, it just felt right right away. The live tile idea really works.
Out of the box, I agree that the integrated approach is very, very nice. But the combination of the tile interface with apps feels Janus-faced, as if you are switching modes. Most apps I've used on Windows Phone were not well-integrated with other apps or the OS -- and this integration is the selling point of the tile interface. Most of them felt clunkier and harder to use than iOS apps. And WP 7 lacks a ginormous amount of polish. My brother has a WP7 phone (I don't have a smart phone yet), and he very much likes the interface conceptually. But recently he had to reset his phone and manually download all the apps again, for instance.

Microsoft has a long, long way to go. And unfortunately, they have decided to completely change Windows Phone under the hood, making it impossible for users of WP 7 to upgrade. Plus, it means that Microsoft had to focus on the internals rather than polish.
Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
As for the "retina" thing, well Windows Phone 8 devices will have options with 1280x720 resolution, so I'm not too worried about it. I don't care about pixel density, I care about how many pixels I get to work with and 1280x720 means a lot more pixels than 960x640.
Actually, you should care about pixel density rather than absolute number of pixels since the size of tap targets does not scale with the number of pixel, but the number of points you design your interface with. I have a retina resolution screen on my iPod touch and it is brilliant for reading text.

Overall, I'd prefer Windows Phone to succeed than Android simply because Windows Phone is clearly not a clone of iOS. Microsoft does bring some good ideas to the table (e. g. Windows 8's contracts), and Apple could use some of these ideas in iOS to push their products forward (and vice versa). But on the other hand, there have been so many product lauded as »good« (e. g. webOS), products where you could see the kernel of some really good idea. However, most of them are dead now, and as far as I can tell, Windows Phone is headed in the same direction.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Jul 27, 2012, 09:57 PM

Nokia is pretty much dead. Somebody should just take the Lumia and Meego it on updated versions.
You mean Tizen. Or whatever it is called now. I wonder whether you've actually used a Meego phone. A friend of mine (a big Linux geek) has bought a Nokia N900 just because it is »based on Linux«. That thing doesn't even have multitouch. But he can open a command line.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2012, 01:26 AM

You came on here to troll, like you always do. You private message me to telling me to stick it yet you come on a thread I started. That's the only reason you're here. You don't care about the Lumia or any of this.
I'm not entirely sure it's the smartest move to mention our private messages here, since our private "conversations" were invariably you writing me a message telling me to **** off, and me telling you to either publicly contradict my posts or report them if you have a problem with them, and forwarding your harassment message to the mods.

I posted that link because it's relevant. It was your choice to act like you own the playground and you have to be king of the hill, and everything that happens here has to be twisted into looking like you're right.

I actually am interested in Windows Phone's survival. OreoCookie puts it quite succinctly. It is genuinely different and a completely novel (dare I say exciting) approach. And it looks like Microsoft's lack of platform planning is jeopardizing it. It needs to gain critical mass for survival, and it's nowhere near that.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 28, 2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You mean Tizen. Or whatever it is called now. I wonder whether you've actually used a Meego phone. A friend of mine (a big Linux geek) has bought a Nokia N900 just because it is »based on Linux«. That thing doesn't even have multitouch. But he can open a command line.
Why do you even bother coming in and posting in my thread after the stuff that happened?

And it's like you're trying to take these rib shots or something.

Yes, I have used Meego. I don't understand where you're going with Linux and command lines.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 28, 2012, 09:29 AM

I'm not entirely sure it's the smartest move to mention our private messages here, since our private "conversations" were invariably you writing me a message telling me to **** off, and me telling you to either publicly contradict my posts or report them if you have a problem with them, and forwarding your harassment message to the mods.
I posted that link because it's relevant. It was your choice to act like you own the playground and you have to be king of the hill, and everything that happens here has to be twisted into looking like you're right.
I actually am interested in Windows Phone's survival. OreoCookie puts it quite succinctly. It is genuinely different and a completely novel (dare I say exciting) approach. And it looks like Microsoft's lack of platform planning is jeopardizing it. It needs to gain critical mass for survival, and it's nowhere near that.
Spheric: you just gave yourself away:

You're not interested in anything but arguing. That is your sole motivation for posting in here.

Go post somewhere else. Enough.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2012, 01:46 PM

Why do you even bother coming in and posting in my thread after the stuff that happened?
And it sounds like you're REALLY interested in discussion...um...

AimeBlockless
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2012, 11:49 PM

I find nokia Lumia 900 very interesting. When it comes to durability Nokia is the number 1.

Forum Links
Forum Rules