Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Win XP user and hate it Looking at pb15

Win XP user and hate it Looking at pb15
tomlawnman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 10:20 PM

I have wanted to make the switch for months now. Wanted the 15 but also wanted the look of the 12 and 17. So should I wait till November to order. Will Panther be out by then. The reason for Panther is I think it will come with Final Cut Express included and I will save 100 bucks.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by tomlawnman:
I have wanted to make the switch for months now. Wanted the 15 but also wanted the look of the 12 and 17. So should I wait till November to order. Will Panther be out by then. The reason for Panther is I think it will come with Final Cut Express included and I will save 100 bucks.
Why do you think Final Cut Express will be included?

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 10:25 PM

I don't think Panther will come with Final Cut Express unless Apple plans on discontinuing iMovie. You can get a $200 rebate on Final Cut Express if you get a Mac now.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by agentmouthwash:
I don't think Panther will come with Final Cut Express unless Apple plans on discontinuing iMovie. You can get a $200 rebate on Final Cut Express if you get a Mac now.
I don't think Apple would discontinue iMovie. iMovie is the best beginners non-linear editing tool available. Final Cut Express is for users who out grow iMovie and need more pro level features.

Originally posted by tomlawnman:
So should I wait till November to order. Will Panther be out by then.
Yeah. Panther should be out by then. I'd say go to an Apple store if you can and try 'em out.

tomlawnman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 10:38 PM

iCreate issue two from the UK Last page says Next issue on October 2 2003 "Waling with a Panther" with a black panther in background and a the bottom a list of titles ie iTune,iMovie,IDVD,iPhoto,Safari,iChat,OS X, and Final Cut Express have you seen this mag at the book store.
Originally posted by waxcrash:
Why do you think Final Cut Express will be included?

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 10:55 PM

Don't hesitate. I made the switch a month ago and will never buy another PC if it runs a Microsoft OS

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 05:55 AM

I'd wait for Panther--you save the time. money, and labor of upgrading. And Panther sounds amazing. Plus maybe some nice promos will come out, from Apple or resellers, and you can take advantage of them! Other promos just ended on the 27th, like a free printer--and Apple always comes out with a new free printer deal when one ends.

I suspect the Final Cut Express thing is an error. Apple hasn't announced anything about Panther's release except the price (US$129, or $69 edu). There ARE deals for getting money off Final Cut Express, but they're not to do with Panther.

BTW, supposedly (macrumors.com) Apple is renting machines to project a big "X" into the sky on october 24. Why? Panther sounds likely!

Have fun picking a size, and don't look back! You're almost free
nagromme

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 05:58 AM

Hey, go for it, I made the switch for the first time and only time last March, and I've never looked back. I don't think I'll ever look back again.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

beijinger
Sep 30, 2003, 06:04 AM

I just don't agree with those who said wait for panther, wait for panther. In the greater scheme of things, we are looking at a 2000$ plus purchase. Panther student price is less than 3% of this total purchase. I think the joy and pleasure of using the beautiful, versatile, powerful new Mac even for that extra month or two is well worth the 3% price difference.

If one is concerned about the quality of the first batch thats coming out of the production facility, thats a different story! But waiting to save 3% is wholly ridiculous!

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 06:11 AM

If 3% is $129, saving that is NEVER ridiculous. You'd have to be pretty rich not to care about that.

Plus, if you're new to Mac OS X, Panther will be somewhat different from Jaguar. May as well just learn the Panther way the first time.

But now that you mention it, giving time to let production-line glitches (if any) work themselves out is a good idea too. The risk of defects is highest with the very first orders.

Now, if you really NEED a computer now, buy and enjoy!
nagromme

beijinger
Sep 30, 2003, 06:29 AM

No, 3% is 69 dollars, student price. Think most everyone will buy it at that price as they are either students or have student friends or students in the family. If waiting for a few months to get the Al 15 to make sure first batch ills are over is the reason, so be it. But the 12 and 17 are basically upgrades and few hardware complaints have surfaced on these pages. my partner and i have a new 17 inch and a new 15 inch zip problem on either one. I think waiting for panther to come out and possibly one should wait for a month or two after making sure the glitches with new OS is worked out also would be a good idea, that would mean being deprived of the pleasure off a new PB for 3 months! that would not be worth 69 bucks, wouldn't you think?

EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 06:39 AM

Don't you get a discount if you buy a PowerBook and it's released like 30 days after your purchase? Like buy it for 20 dollars or something?

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 12:00 PM

Yes, EvanV--that's typical. (I keep hoping they'll drop to $10!) So if October 24 really is the date as rumored, the 30 day deadline is past.

(And I'll have to say that even $69 isn't something I'd throw away--and that Panther probably won't take 3 months. Also, there are limits to how many purchases you can make with your student discount--not to mention that it's dishonest to lie to Apple and buy for someone else. Lots of people do legitimately qualify for $69 though.)

I think Apple should offer a special price for people who own a laptop AND a desktop Mac. Two Panther licenses for a lower price than $260, and let it apply to small business/SOHO users--which the family pack does not. Encourage people who own multiple Macs at once.
nagromme

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 12:06 PM

Final Cut Express targets the non pro although its so close to pro I think a lot of the features you dont get aren't a big deal. How should I know I havent done a video elective in school for 2 years with. We used a nice avid system running a PowerMac 9600. he later got a 733 G4 and added a final cut system. No more high school now though so I cant view those beaties anymore.

As for panther I better get a flipping discount even if its just 50 dollars off I want something.

For buying this computer and knowing panther was around the corner I should get one. I have only had to PB maybe 3 weeks.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 01:03 PM

As I recall with Jaguar, only those people who got a Mac after Jaguar was released got the discount, $20 for s & h on the Jagaur CDs. There wasn't a 30-day prior rebate, unless my memory fails me (defective RAM is a good sign or PreHeimers.) Some people did call up Apple SOS and finagle Jaguar CDs, but it wasn't policy.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by beijinger:
I just don't agree with those who said wait for panther, wait for panther. In the greater scheme of things, we are looking at a 2000$ plus purchase. Panther student price is less than 3% of this total purchase. I think the joy and pleasure of using the beautiful, versatile, powerful new Mac even for that extra month or two is well worth the 3% price difference.

If one is concerned about the quality of the first batch thats coming out of the production facility, thats a different story! But waiting to save 3% is wholly ridiculous!
I agree. Plus, the longer you wait the less time you will have before your Powerbook is obsolete. This is typically why I buy at the beginning of product cycles, I want to get the most value for the longest time for my money.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules