Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti vs. Pismo - Apple cleans up.

Ti vs. Pismo - Apple cleans up.
MrK
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2001, 01:39 PM

Ok. Let's put this thing to rest. I finally saw a Ti 400 mhz at a store yesterday. WOW. That is a really pretty machine. The screen looked so big next to my Pismo 500 mhz. But...

� I have been checking this store twice a week for the last 2 months... this machine was JUST put out and it had scratches all over near the keyboard already.

� It costs $2600. I bought my Pismo, new, when the Tis were first announced for $1800 w/ another 256 mb ram costing $100. So $700 bucks cheaper. My Pismo is faster at nearly every task aside form Alti-Vec tasks in Photoshop, etc. And 384 mb RAM and 20 gb HD vs. 128 and 10.

� Aside from the G4, larger screen and slightly lower weight (reality check - weight dropped about 10 oz. and thickness about .7in) there are NO differences.

So who wins right now? Apple. They are selling these things like hotcakes and guess what - you bought a model they have been sitting on for over a year. I don't want this to sound like sour grapes... I love my Pismo and the new Ti. But in July at MWNY, they are gonna drop a rev. B Ti that is gonna make a lot of people wish they had waited 3 months to buy. And by December you are gonna look back and say "WOW! They pulled another Kanga on us!"

Not to say they aren't great computers, Kangas included. But Apple is charging full price for a minor upgrade. And these computers, like the Kangas, are gonna have a shorter lifespan than say a Wallstreet or a Pismo.

What do you think, being able to look back on the last 3 months? Did Apple pull a fast one by sucking up a bunch of orders in January, not delivering on time and then most likely rolling a much better product out the door in 3 more months? Cause they gave us half a product cycle in my eyes - not even 6 months.

MrK

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2001, 01:58 PM

MrK,

I'm not sure why you would make such a post if you aren't trying to digest a few sour grapes.

MrK  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2001, 02:45 PM

Well, it is sour grapes to some extent. But directed towards Apple as a company, not towards the products. It just seems that they are once again taking advantage of their unique position in the industry and their "monopoly of loyalty" to put out a product they know they could and will make better in the VERY near future. I don't think it is fair to the Mac faithful.

Kosmo
Senior User
Apr 3, 2001, 04:16 PM

Come on now, hardware is always being updated. As far as I'm concerned, i won't look back in July and wished I had waited. If the July Tibook if *much* better, ie, speed and CDRW, then I'll sell my TiBook and buy a new one..I figure I'll lose maybe $500...and that is well worth it using this Ti for 4 months..

I have no scratches at all on the top of my Ti or on the keyboard area, but after a short stay at Apple Tech there is a few on the bottom of my Ti

Kosmo

http://www.macnet2.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules