Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is anyone else completely fed up with Safari?

Is anyone else completely fed up with Safari? (Page 2)
tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2012, 02:31 PM

Anyone using Safari 5 is now open to the over 100 potential known vulnerabilities that were patched in Safari 6.
Don't mean to get OT but I just wanted to add a general comment about Safari...

Ham Sandwich
Aug 1, 2012, 02:52 PM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post

Ditto, I've hated Flash for 10 years and I still wish people would go back to Quicktime to display their videos. (Anyone still remember the QT3 logo?)
I'll be happy when the web is 100% HTML5 based video.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2012, 11:35 AM

I've never had problems with Safari ever since I installed Click2Flash and Adblock. Those two make it run just as good as Chrome does on the PCs I use at work. The only thing I've noticed was that Click2Flash often defaulted to 1080p video on YouTube, I switched this to 320 and suddenly all of my video stuttering problems were gone too.

P
Aug 2, 2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post

I'm not sure that comparison is apt.

What did you guys use Activity Viewer for, exactly?
Grabbing the URL for a video file on occasion, but mostly it was useful for debugging. Yes, I know that the new Web Inspector can do most of it, but the Activity window was so much easier to work with.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2012, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Grabbing the URL for a video file on occasion, but mostly it was useful for debugging. Yes, I know that the new Web Inspector can do most of it, but the Activity window was so much easier to work with.
I see, and I guess grabbing the URL for a Flash video was not possible via right click.

It kind of makes sense to me that debugging be consolidated into the debug tools (i.e. Webkit Inspector). I'm not saying that the WI implementation is an ideal replacement for you specifically as far as it's UI goes, I'm just saying that I kind of see why the Activity window was ditched.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Grabbing the URL for a video file on occasion
I did this too with Activity Viewer. You just find the embedded file by scanning the sizes column, and then option-double click to download it. It was awesome. And I can't seem to figure out how to do this now with Safari 6. Kind of a piss-off. Now I need to find an extension that works.

Other than that issue and the stalling problem, Safari 6 seems pretty solid to me. Web pages seem to render faster (when they don't stall). I like the Show All Tabs feature, but I wish I could activate it will a trackpad gesture. I guess I need trackpad extender program for this.

EDIT: it looks like Apple has screwed up the vanishing scroll bar in Safari. It used to be very visible on any background surface, but now it's very hard to see on a black background. Go to this website as an example of the problem. Very annoying. This issue extends everywhere in Mtn Lion (I just tested it in icon view with a black background in Finder, same problem), but dark backgrounds are uncommon outside of web browsing.

EDIT2: Holy Crap, I just went to this page (Joystiq Moblie) and was assaulted with 3 videos all auto-playing at the same time, something that never happened in Safari before. What the hell? Is Click2Flash broken for some sites now or something?

EDIT: Lastly, I really don't like the new Reader button. When it detects a Reader-capable page, it is way too bright and distracting.

Cold Warrior
Aug 4, 2012, 03:10 AM

Even Safari 5 with Activity Viewer got to the point where there were flash videos it wouldn't show me. I switched to Firefox with the FlashGot extension and it works very well.

blahblahbber
Banned
Aug 6, 2012, 12:33 PM

Folks... about testing out Mountain Lion OSX.... I've found it necessary to toss out the search.bundle in components and disable "Dashboard".... Those two will absolutely give you the experience you are looking for; I almost went the google chrome route, but now things are just as they should be.... give it a try, anybody needs help, PM me.... thanks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
Folks... about testing out Mountain Lion OSX.... I've found it necessary to toss out the search.bundle in components and disable "Dashboard"....
What does disabling those things effect in Safari?

blahblahbber
Banned
Aug 6, 2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
What does disabling those things effect in Safari?
It speeds things up dramatically... oh I forgot to mention too; toss out launchpad too. reboot after and you will see what i'm talking about. You may need to enable root user if you are not familiar with the terminal to get things done. Lastly, to get that edge... add the safari extension "adblock"... and your good to go! Don't forget about the CMD-BackSpace as your keyboard "delete" button is now functioning like it should (for adding content to the page, and not as a web browser back command).... if you have firefox, you can download the extension for it too called "Disable Backspace Key Navigation" and install that to get both browsers to work the same.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2012, 06:14 PM

How does tossing out search.bundle, disabling Dashboard, and turning off Launchpad speed up Safari?

Dashboard doesn't run a single process on the computer until you actually invoke it. Zero.
On my system, calling Dashboard opens up four processes of 9 threads each, which use a whopping 85 MB of physical memory. When I switch out of Dashboard, CPU usage drops to zero across all of these processes.

Disabling Dashboard has zero effect upon machine performance.

And deleting search.bundle has absolutely no effect whatsoever except that it removes the Spotlight icon from the menu bar.

It doesn't even turn off Spotlight!

And these things have absolutely no relation to Safari, in any case.

My apologies for putting it so harshly, blahblahbber, but it has to be said:

You, sir, are completely full of shit.

You haven't the slightest clue what you are talking about.

At all.

blahblahbber
Banned
Aug 6, 2012, 08:28 PM

How does tossing out search.bundle, disabling Dashboard, and turning off Launchpad speed up Safari?
Dashboard doesn't run a single process on the computer until you actually invoke it. Zero.
On my system, calling Dashboard opens up four processes of 9 threads each, which use a whopping 85 MB of physical memory. When I switch out of Dashboard, CPU usage drops to zero across all of these processes.
Disabling Dashboard has zero effect upon machine performance.
And deleting search.bundle has absolutely no effect whatsoever except that it removes the Spotlight icon from the menu bar.
It doesn't even turn off Spotlight!
And these things have absolutely no relation to Safari, in any case.
My apologies for putting it so harshly, blahblahbber, but it has to be said:
You, sir, are completely full of shit.
You haven't the slightest clue what you are talking about.
At all.
If you try you will know.... dont try it; you will never know. Do yourself a favor.... Do before you talk. You want to be sure?.... back up your partition.... make the changes, see it for yourself. Dont like?... change it back (why would you) I don't mean to brag, but I have been tuning macs since 2002 for professionals. That is my forte, meaning I get paid to squeeze every last "umph" out of any configuration. I sure don't expect you to be on my level... which is directly related to the ACTUAL user experience.... this is one of the most important aspects of any OS.

Also, yes spotlight isn't supposed to be totally disabled, that is why my method works, because the spotlight specific extensions are reliant on the frameworks and GUI. p.s. I've been doing this specific stuff since Snow Leopard... stepping up to the challenge or just nothing better to do there Harlot? All this does is remove the overhead necessary to give the user the safari experience it should've have. I GUARANTEE IT... Buttery smooth experience is my standard.

Forgot to mention, use EasyFind in place of the original Spotlight shortcut... it's FREE, and 100x's better.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2012, 08:42 PM

It is vitally important to keep a quart of chicken blood at hand, too.

Won't do anything, but it will impress the clients and really make them think they got their money's worth.

blahblahbber
Banned
Aug 6, 2012, 09:13 PM

It is vitally important to keep a quart of chicken blood at hand, too.
Won't do anything, but it will impress the clients and really make them think they got their money's worth.
Seems like you are just in need of thunder (attention)..... try chuck e cheese; I'm sure you can make friends there... and maybe impress them with your pocket-full of chicken giblets while your investment stories involving bootlegging ketchup flow.

donmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2012, 03:54 AM

Safari sucks. I drives me crazy . Is there a way to get the old one back?. I have lion which i also regret . Also I have not been able to get flash plyer to work on the new safari. So no you tube or videas on face book . Flash works fine on google . Does any one know how to get the old safari back ?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2012, 05:01 PM

First, upgrade to ML, it's way better than Lion, the latest upgrade smoothed things out nicely. Re Safari, use something else, Camino, Chrome, Firefox are all fine. I use Camino and never have a problem.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2012, 04:57 AM

I have a 2006 1,1 MacPro and OSX 10.7 is as high as I can go so I just called Apple and ordered a copy. I'm not excited about upgrading to Lion but I've reached a point where I can't use certain programs or upgrade other programs (e.g. Aperture) so I need Lion. I was told my a local Apple Store employee they'd add it to my AppStore account and I'd DL it but it looks like Apple's shipping me a physical copy with an expected delivery of end of next week. Kind of hoping I can do a clean install but I won't know until I get it.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2012, 02:01 PM

I received an email from Apple about three days after I placed the order for OSX 10.7 via phone. It contained a link with a redeem code for Lion from the AppStore. I did a clean install via USB thumb drive and actually like Lion in spite of all the negative feedback. Now I need to upgrade my nVidia 7300 to something released in the last ten years and I'm golden.

Forum Links
Forum Rules