Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > This *has* to be a mistake!

This *has* to be a mistake!
iohead
Jan 26, 2003, 02:26 AM

I know this was posted below for the 12", but if you go and choose the 17" at the online Apple Store, the summary page says 1-3 days for estimated shipping time.

What do you folks think will happen if I actually order one at this point? How will Apple make up for the emotional distress caused?

-A

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2003, 02:37 AM

They will secretly laugh at you, fix the problem on their site, and tell you they are very sorry.

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 26, 2003, 10:57 AM

Immediately after the Keynote the AppleStore online said that the 17" was going to ship in 1-3 days. About an hour later it said 7-10 weeks.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2003, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by iohead:
I know this was posted below for the 12", but if you go and choose the 17" at the online Apple Store, the summary page says 1-3 days for estimated shipping time.

What do you folks think will happen if I actually order one at this point? How will Apple make up for the emotional distress caused?

-A
On my screen it says 7-10 weeks. Where are you seeing the 1-3 days thing again?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

iohead  (op)
Jan 26, 2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
On my screen it says 7-10 weeks. Where are you seeing the 1-3 days thing again?
Select the 17", and click on Continue a few tims to get to the summary page, where part numbers and the total etc. are listed. The estimated shipping date on this page is 1-3 days. I'm very sure this is a goof-up by Apple.

This is the US Apple Store, BTW.

-A

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 02:08 PM

I just did it and it said "30 days". Could this mean they are comeing sooner! 30 days is way better then 7-10 weeks on new orders. Old orders may ship sooner. Wishful thinking.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2003, 02:44 PM

Yep, I just tried a stock config and it game me 30-days. That wouldn't be so bad if it were true...

gkorsgard
Jan 26, 2003, 03:12 PM

I added memory to the order and it gives me 1-3 days on the est ship time. I called the Apple Store and the rep told me that what it says must be true. But, I still do not believe him.

newportnews
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 03:27 PM

I called Apple and they said 30 days for all 12" and 17" PBs

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2003, 03:31 PM

That's good news.

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 06:07 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that 2-3 months wait time for a computer is a bit ridiculous?

I'm not criticizing Apple - I understand that they cannot meet demand, and that's an enviable position.

However, 3 months in the computer business is like an eternity!! Assuming that Apple is moving to a more frequent update schedule, that means you're already at a minimum 25% through the product lifecycle before it is updated!
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

Nephron
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by tgrundke:
Am I the only one who thinks that 2-3 months wait time for a computer is a bit ridiculous?

I'm not criticizing Apple - I understand that they cannot meet demand, and that's an enviable position.

However, 3 months in the computer business is like an eternity!! Assuming that Apple is moving to a more frequent update schedule, that means you're already at a minimum 25% through the product lifecycle before it is updated!
The issue is that Apple likes the surprise of announcing these products at a forum like MacWorld. Many computer makers don't bother making an announcement about a new product until it is about to go into production. Of course, the more people that know about a product, the harder it is to keep it secret. Once a manufacturer has been selected, you need them to keep it secret. Once it hits the assembly line, now you need all of the staff at the factory to keep the secret as well. It could be done, but hte odds are poor. The only practical way for Steve Jobs to have his "look at this cool new thing" moment during the keynote is to announce the products in advance, and then we all wait until the manufacturer starts making them.

Cheers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules