Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 1Ghz iMac Noise Levels

1Ghz iMac Noise Levels
andy_boyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 01:03 PM

Hello everyone,

I currently own a eMac, which is becoming unbearably noisy. It has a constant whirl from the fan with an intermitent high pitched noise which is driving me mad. In fact when the high pitch noise starts it gives me a headache. I sit at this all day long designing websites and it is geting a bit much.

So I have decided to buy a new 1 Ghz iMac, the middle-of-the-range model with 512Mb DDR SDRAM and Bluetooth Ready. But......... before I lift that phone I need to know this. Is it quiet?

Please say yes But if it isn't let me know!!!! Thanks

mbryda
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 01:20 PM

Why not warranty repair it for the noise?

andy_boyd  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 01:25 PM

It's being used to run a couple of websites and I need to be able to change overnight. Once I get a new computer I will just install everything and copy over all my files.

As well as that, I have a buyer lined up for it. Besides that, the CRT kills my eyes and I know the flat screen will be a lot easier to work with considering I spend half my day in front of it.

I would just like to change because of the combination of noise, screen glare....

ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by andy_boyd:
Hello everyone,

I currently own a eMac, which is becoming unbearably noisy. It has a constant whirl from the fan with an intermitent high pitched noise which is driving me mad. In fact when the high pitch noise starts it gives me a headache. I sit at this all day long designing websites and it is geting a bit much.

So I have decided to buy a new 1 Ghz iMac, the middle-of-the-range model with 512Mb DDR SDRAM and Bluetooth Ready. But......... before I lift that phone I need to know this. Is it quiet?

in general, mine is very quite. it can make a little noise when waking up (only for a very brief time), but otherwise only makes a slight hum you can barely hear during normal operations.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 06:19 PM

Go ahead, the 1 GHz iMac is almost inaudible compared to the eMac.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2003, 06:26 PM

Noise bothered me with my last eMac... but honestly I can barely hear my new GHz iMac at all.

(well, first one had a clicky loud HD, replacement is whisper quiet)

Do it.

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 07:10 PM

My 1 GHz iMac is also super quiet even with a disc in the drive. Sometimes I hear a whirl as it spins up but it gets quiet again. Most times I can't hear the machine at all.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 04:50 AM

I have an 800Mhz iMac and it used to be really silent...but lately...not so much

I hear the fan alot...and its a constant hum kinda like a PC...this is kinda new, and it actually sounds more like a CD is spinning in the drive (when there is none in there) anyone else notice this?

Bombia
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2003, 11:22 AM

My iMac 1 ghz sounds a bite. But the noise isnt that high as on a Quicksilver but also not that silent as the cube.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 11:55 AM

Let me put it this way: I had to turn off the eMac at the shop to be able to hear the iMac I wanted to buy.

In the mean time I have the 1GHz iMac at home in an absolutely quiet room. I'd say it's as close to silent as any computer with a fan I have ever heard.

If I put my ear right above the vent holes I can hear a quiet air gush, but if I'm more than a yard away from the iMac I can't hear anything at all.
•

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2003, 12:07 PM

The other thing about this iMac, is that I have never felt warm air coming out of the vents. I'm surprised at how cool she runs.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
The other thing about this iMac, is that I have never felt warm air coming out of the vents. I'm surprised at how cool she runs.
Yeah, I agree 100%. The air coming out of the top seems to be not much warmer than room temperature.
•

pliny
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 05:19 PM

The brand new crt iMacs were always quiet (barring some defect); it was only later that the hard drives became noisy. There were many threads and discussions here about the "bee buzzing" iMac sound.

For people with noisy lcd imacs or emacs, how long have you had them and when did they start getting noisy?
i look in your general direction

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 05:31 PM

there always was alot of air coming out, vents arn't blocked...why is my fan always on?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 05:54 PM

SOLIDage: I assume it's simply dust. You've had your iMac for quite a while now, maybe your appartment is kinda dusty or something. The more dust gets inside your iMac, the hotter it gets. Also the fan noise increases over time because of dust.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2003, 07:39 AM

solidage

I have the same problem, my iMac (800MHz) was really quiet when I first had it, but since I moved to uni my flat is a lot dustier, and the noise levels has gone up quite a bit.

If it is dust on the fan/inside the machine, how would one go about cleaning it out?

Tom
What are you looking for? A signature?

Paul Stephen C.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 09:43 PM

The 1Ghz iMac is very quiet, rather than silent. Very acceptable if you are in the same room as someone watching TV for example. Or someone sleeping!

I leave mine on, and it runs cool. The air from the vents is cooler than room temp. after 1 week on.

IMHO it is *the* Mac at the moment. Power Macs are noisy and not enough of a performance improvement for the money; emacs are fine, but compromise too much for the price difference; portables are pretty, and the best on the market if you really need to be portable (in which case get the wee 12" iBook - best value).

New 17" iMacs with 1Gb Ram - perfect! Great style, take up so little space, upgradeability not an issue unless you're into some really professional image manipulation, and even then, it will cope ok. It'll last for years - watch, as the PCs around you get replaced!

Noise and performance were issues for me, as I want to do some home recording, in a relatively small space. Noise and bulk ruled out the Powermac (I don't have the space to put the CPU in a noise-controlled environment) and the only temptation for me was the 17" Powerbook. Very quiet. In the end I just looked at them both, and there's no competition for the iMac *if* you don't need the portability. I don't.
"The best lack all conviction,
while the worst are filled with a
passionate intensity" (Lou
Reed's version of a Yeats quote)

neilxu
Mar 28, 2003, 10:03 PM

Thank you Paul.

I decide to buy the iMac because I find I am very very sensitive to the noise.

Paul Stephen C.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 10:48 PM

Hi Neilxu,

iMac - good choice! IMHO.

Enjoy!

Paul
"The best lack all conviction,
while the worst are filled with a
passionate intensity" (Lou
Reed's version of a Yeats quote)

andy_boyd  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 04:40 PM

Ok guys, thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it!!!

I just went today and bought the very last 17" iMac in Lisburn PC World just outside Belfast. I'm typing on it now and it's silent.

I'm super impressed with it, far better than the eMac in my opinion anyway. It only has 256 Mb RAM but I'll upgrade soon with a 512Mb module - then it'll be faster again!!

Thanks for all your comments.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2003, 09:54 PM

Can't speak for the 1 GHz model, but my 800 MHz 17" iMac is *very* quiet, could not tell if it was on when I first pressed the power button.

Dell Switcher
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by andy_boyd:
Hello everyone,

As a switcher and very sensitive hearing, I selected the iMac 17 and my experience (2 wks now!)has been that the iMac is quiet. The only noise I hear is spinning of the superdrive whenever I insert CD or DVD. This noise is mild and only lasts brief period.

Love the iMac and wished I had switched earlier!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules