Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 keyboard - what a cheap piece of plastic.

G5 keyboard - what a cheap piece of plastic.
SF_VR6
Oct 13, 2003, 12:19 PM

We spend 4000.00 bucks on a new dual G5 with all this processing power and we a whimpy, white cheap keyboard with a one button no scroll mouse. The keyboard that comes with the emacs.

I'm looking for something more substantial with media keys, a nice design with a coll mouse. Something that is sexy enough sit next to the G5.

What keyboards are out there? I'm selling my week old keyboard and mouse. (The mouse still has the plastic wrap on)

Come on guys show me some kick but cool sleek aluminum or whatever keyboard out there.

thanks.

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 01:06 PM

I was looking for a new wireless keyboard and went to CompUSA. They has a pretty good selection, but I personally felt they were all junk. All those media keys are, IMO, junk and just make the keyboard bulky. As for the Apple keyboard, I have the new BT one and the black keyed Apple Pro keyboard. Both of these keyboards have some weight to them, they are much more solidly built then every single one of the keyboards I tried at CompUSA, these included logitech, kennington, M$ plus many others. The keys just felt sloppy to me, the Apple keyboards just have a good feel to me. Having seen several posts on keyboards over the years in these fora, I know that keyboard feel and functionality is a big personal preference thing. Of all the keyboards I tried, I would have to say I like the M$ BT the best, but that is not saying much. Good luck.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 01:49 PM

I'm the opposite. I despise those "Internet friendly" keyboards with all their useless macro buttons buttons and akward shapes. The keyboard that came with my G5 is perfect for me and it doesn't feel cheap at all.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 03:49 PM

The eMac/G5 keyboard is the best one that has ever shipped with a Mac. I know PC users that want to buy it.

It is great, what is so wrong with it other then you think white isn't cool enough for you?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2003, 04:19 PM

An all aluminum keyboard, with a frickin power button would be cool, but probably too expensive.

The white keyboards aren't that bad, but I expect more with a G5.

idyll
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 04:53 PM

I've got this one:
http://hardware.meetthegeeks.org/our...d/Keyboard.jpg

As long as you can ignore the windows button on there it's a great keyboard that matches the fit and finish of the G5 nicely.

idyll
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 04:54 PM

And if it's hard to tell, it is aluminum .

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2003, 05:07 PM

After 3 years with the Apple Pro keyboards that came with my Cube, and my Dual Gig, I got ahold of one of the new keyboards a Fry's a couple of days ago, and I have to say it felt prety skimpy to me. I really didn't like the fact that it has absolutely no edge. I think the USB ports are much more accessible on the sides, like the old style, instead of in the back like they are on the new ones. I think there will be a brisk market for the old Apple Pro keyboards on ebay for the next little while.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Renderdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 05:24 PM

What's wrong with no edge? Feel or looks? I like the fact that it takes a minimal amount of space, but I haven't used it yet.

kikkoman
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 05:38 PM

I really like my MacAlly iceKey.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by idyll:
I've got this one:
http://hardware.meetthegeeks.org/our...d/Keyboard.jpg

As long as you can ignore the windows button on there it's a great keyboard that matches the fit and finish of the G5 nicely.
And the missing F-keys and the different location of the DEL button and the lack of a Apple key.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 06:03 PM

I like the KB, after reading reports i kept my Pro KB incase, then realised the G5 KB was just the same, if not better as it was cleaner.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2003, 06:55 PM

For my G5, I bought a Logitech Elite keyboard and like it quite a bit.

While it does have the dreaded "Windows Start" key on it, it also has Apple Command and Option keys as well. The scroll wheel on the left side of the keyboard is nice and very configurable, and the keys themselves have a nice tactile feel.

The drivers are great, and all the function keys are programmable. The big volume dial works great - functions like the volume up/down keys on an Apple-brand keyboard. There is also a Mute button. The Play/Pause/Stop/Forward/Back buttons are pre-programmed for iTunes, and there is a power button as well (off only; will not turn on the CPU). There is also a key labeled "Media" that can be set to open/close/eject the optical drive tray.

While most of the other buttons I tend not to use (Shopping, iTouch, Favorites & a few others), I do have one programmed to open iChatAV ("Webcam"), one set to open Watson ("Search") and another to open my Home folder ("My Home") (will pop it up on top of any other apps; nice).

I use the Elite keyboard (wired) with the wireless Logitech MX-700, and I couldn't be happier (well, OK, I could... but for a desktop set it's pretty nice).

The nicest keyboard I've typed on in a long while (since the Apple ADB Extended Keyboard II) is the now-discontinued Microsoft Office Keyboard. I have one in black on my PC and it's super, super comfortable. I just can't bring myself to use it on my G5, however, despite the presence of Microsoft drivers for it.


jclarkv
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 06:56 PM

I LOVE the way the keyboard on my TiBook feels. I wish I could use that keyboard with my G5.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by jclarkv:
I LOVE the way the keyboard on my TiBook feels. I wish I could use that keyboard with my G5.
wait...isnt that the way the iceKey feels?

btw, i know what you mean. the TiBook and the Pismos had the same keyboard (different F-Keys)
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

idyll
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
And the missing F-keys and the different location of the DEL button and the lack of a Apple key.
I don't use the DEL button much - mostly backspace, especially on my Mac. The Apple key is replaced by that Windows key. Works perfectly with my G5, and looks good at the same time.

idyll
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 10:02 PM

By the way, I had the iceKey keyboard before this one but I had an unfortunate accident where I spilled soda onto the iceKey and it stopped working so I got the aluminum keyboard. The keys have the same feel as those on the new PowerBooks but are quieter, quieter than those found on the iceKey keyboard.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 10:52 AM

When I type it *feels* like a quality keyboard to me and i like the way the key layout is in a wave to make them easier for your fingers to hit.

I do wish there were some sort of surrounding flange. I've gotten used to grabbing keyboards with one hand and moving them. This is a little difficult to do with the new design.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by idyll:
And if it's hard to tell, it is aluminum .
Nice, where can you buy them?

Edit: It's cool, found it.
( Last edited by sanity assassin; Oct 14, 2003 at 12:10 PM. )
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 12:04 PM

I've tried alot of keyboards and have yet to find one that actually feels quite as good as the Apple keyboard.
I have a Sony keyboard on my PC and I have several keyboards in my drawer including the Logitech Elite keyboard & none of them actually feel as tactile to me as Apple's.

I also have the bluetooth keyboard & I really like it. I just wish Apple had made it in black instead of white.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2003, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
The eMac/G5 keyboard is the best one that has ever shipped with a Mac. I know PC users that want to buy it.

It is great, what is so wrong with it other then you think white isn't cool enough for you?
I actually like the keyboard feel, but I wish it wasn't white. The (fairly new) eMac keyboard in our office looks older than the ageing black Pro keyboard sitting next to it - simply because it is so dirty...

In fact it gets dirty really quickly. I know my older Pro keyboard is black, but I swear (after close inspection) that it doesn't pick up gunk anything like as fast as the eMac keyboard does.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2003, 01:16 PM

I also reccomend this keyboard. Your observations mirror mine for the most part.

Funny too that you mentioned the Apple ADB Extended Keyboard, which I regard as the best keyboard I have ever used.

Originally posted by Cadaver:
For my G5, I bought a Logitech Elite keyboard and like it quite a bit.

While it does have the dreaded "Windows Start" key on it, it also has Apple Command and Option keys as well. The scroll wheel on the left side of the keyboard is nice and very configurable, and the keys themselves have a nice tactile feel.

The drivers are great, and all the function keys are programmable. The big volume dial works great - functions like the volume up/down keys on an Apple-brand keyboard. There is also a Mute button. The Play/Pause/Stop/Forward/Back buttons are pre-programmed for iTunes, and there is a power button as well (off only; will not turn on the CPU). There is also a key labeled "Media" that can be set to open/close/eject the optical drive tray.

While most of the other buttons I tend not to use (Shopping, iTouch, Favorites & a few others), I do have one programmed to open iChatAV ("Webcam"), one set to open Watson ("Search") and another to open my Home folder ("My Home") (will pop it up on top of any other apps; nice).

I use the Elite keyboard (wired) with the wireless Logitech MX-700, and I couldn't be happier (well, OK, I could... but for a desktop set it's pretty nice).

The nicest keyboard I've typed on in a long while (since the Apple ADB Extended Keyboard II) is the now-discontinued Microsoft Office Keyboard. I have one in black on my PC and it's super, super comfortable. I just can't bring myself to use it on my G5, however, despite the presence of Microsoft drivers for it.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2003, 02:45 PM

The Old Apple Black pro keyboards were freaking awesome. I almost want a wireless mouse I don't like using my old pro mouse with my iBook... but I don't use it a ton anyway so I don't care that much.

Either way the keyboard on my iBook is awesome took some getting used to but it has a good bit of give for a laptop keyboard. And I actually find myself typing faster on it.

That said every windows keyboard I've tried since getting my pro felt like crap. Apple makes some pretty good keyboards. And as for the mouse... gimmie a break you knew it was a mac before you bought it. Welcome to the community but stop trying to be a windows drone with OS X.

You don't deserve this beautiful set-up if you can't appreciate every aspect of it... hence I think you should FedEx it to me right away.

Side note... media keys suck.

sleepyrenderer
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
And as for the mouse... gimmie a break you knew it was a mac before you bought it. Welcome to the community but stop trying to be a windows drone with OS X.
Since when did "think different" mean do everything the same or what SJ think's best? Everyone is different... if a multibutton mouse best suits his workflow it doesn't make him a drone. He would be a drone though if he abandoned what works best for him just fit in.

As for keyboards, I've always favored IBM keyboards. They don't have tons of fancy extra keys and they aren't sleek & sexy, but they are built like tanks and typing on them feels just right for me.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 01:42 AM

Thumbs up for the iceKey. Can't wait for the wireless RF version! It's almost exactly like the new Al PB keyboards - PERFECT. I cant even use a normal keyboard anymore...
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

Forum Links
Forum Rules