Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVD-RW burning question....

DVD-RW burning question....
johnpaul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 06:49 PM

I like to backup my photo folders weekly. In the old days, using Nero software and a PC, I would take the DVD-RW from the previous week and insert it. Nero would read it and recognize the folder of pictures. When I dragged the same folder from my hard drive to the burner, it would ask me if I wished to burn the new files and retain the old ones, which is what I wanted. I like using the RW discs for the reason that they are re-writeable.

However, with my iMac G-5 Super Drive, I am forced to erase the RW disc each time and then record the entire folder from scratch. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out. Can anyone help?

JP

sketch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2005, 09:11 AM

I ran into the same problem last night. I'm new to Mac so I asumed the DVD-RW would act like the cd-rw I would use on the PC (I dragged the file from the finder to the dvd-rw's icon on my desktop). I posted my question on another forum and I was told I'd have to erase the whole disc. The software that comes with the Mac doesn't support multiple sessions. I was advised to get Toast Lite which does.
Switcher here! PowerBook G4 1.67 avec 2GB ram. Running 10.3.9.

johnpaul  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2005, 10:48 AM

Thanks, sketch, that's the same advice I received. I haven't bought Toast yet, but probably will.

JP
"Aloneness is a state of being, whereas loneliness is a state of feeling.
It's like the difference between being broke and being poor."
- Townes Van Zandt

Forum Links
Forum Rules