Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Intel jingle and stickers?!

Intel jingle and stickers?!
aktive
Jun 8, 2005, 07:15 AM

Just a thought...

Now that Apple is moving over to Intel, when they launch new adverts are they gonna have to have that crappy pause u get in Dell adverts to allow for the Pentium logo and the Intel Jingle.

And while we're on the topic, will all new PB's and Powermac's (etc) have to have one of those little blue and orange stickers on saying 'Intel Inside' on?

I would think that Apple would say no we're not having that, but Intel seem pretty rigid on the fact that all advertising has to include the jingle, etc? Would they give a concession to Apple.

Not a big thing I guess, but its been bothering me.... lol.

Just as a foot note, I think I'm for the Intel change so this is not me bitching - seems like it will give the mac platform legs in the future and is good overall.

Anyway, what u guys think?
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2005, 07:41 AM

There will be no jingle or stickers. The stickers are not mandatory, but gives the vendors a financial share they can use for co-advertising (hence the inane intel-notes tacked to PC-commercials) with Intel.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Colin Davis
Jun 8, 2005, 07:46 AM

I'd be very interested in knowing where you got your information that intel requires anything of the sort.
I've heard a number of people saying that in the last few hours, and as far as I (and presumably anyone else) can tell, there is just no truth it..

Intel participates with OEMs in shared advertising.. That is, Intel tells the OEM that they will pay X truckloads of money, if they include a silly jingle or logo. Intel gets their popularity with clueless people who buy things because of jingles, the OEM gets money.

Now, as to if Apple management think it's worth accepting the money to run said jingle? If I were them, you bet you arse I would. While you may dislike the conformity of it, it provides two useful goals- The first is it screams to the consumer that this isn't the 1990s Macintosh.. This is a new intel powered, OSX running machine. Don't have those negative associations, this is a real computer.

The second is that it gives Apple money, which means they can advertise more for less expenditure. Which would you rather have, 100 ad spots with the jingle, or 40 without? If the name of the game is to grow marketshare, the jingle is very helpful.

A sticker on the other hand, is just eyecandy for some.. And not in a flavor that Apple markets. I wouldn't imagine any stickers for the Intel chips, especially on the outside of the PC.

But I can't see any universe under which a company would ever survive with an official requirement like that.. The closest I can think of is clause 4 of the BSD license, which said that all advertisements must mention that the code contained BSD materials, but that was dropped back in 1999 because companies were refusing to use the code because of it.

So, short answer- Apple probably will use a jingle, probably not a sticker. But they won't be required to use either.
--
This message brought to you by Colin Davis, his ISP, and the letter G

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 08:01 AM

I heard that the agreement between Intel and Apple includes that the startup sound of the Intel Macs will be the Intel jingle.

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 08:03 AM

Is that a joke? It's not funny.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I heard that the agreement between Intel and Apple includes that the startup sound of the Intel Macs will be the Intel jingle.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 08:09 AM

MOSR, eh?

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 08:26 AM

Haha... I still think you should start your own MOSR... Man of Steal Rumours... I'm sure you'd come up with some nice ones.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by aktive
And while we're on the topic, will all new PB's and Powermac's (etc) have to have one of those little blue and orange stickers on saying 'Intel Inside' on?
It's NOT a sticker. Apple would never be so tacky.

Colin Davis
Jun 8, 2005, 08:31 AM

For the humor-impaired, I think that it's a fair assumption that Apple is going to redesign the Powermac for the new architecture.. They've done so for most of the recent changes, and I don't see any reason they wouldn't do it here.
The fact that the devkits are/look like modified G5s not withstanding as they aren't a real product

I imagine Apple will give us quite a decent case, logo or no. I just hope that they mount the motherboard on the door again.. That made things very easy to fix
--
This message brought to you by Colin Davis, his ISP, and the letter G

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 08:42 AM

Wonder if the Intel Mac's will have a new startup tone though? We have been stuck with the current one since the pre PowerPC days (it just got 'better sounding' with the arrival of the PPC).

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 08:56 AM

It would be nice to have a change of tone. Maybe something a bit brighter, a bit more modern. Even the Intel jingle would be nice for a change.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 09:06 AM

maybe the intel jingle with 'crazy' frog over the top, that'll give it a modern twist....

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 09:07 AM

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

aktive  (op)
Jun 8, 2005, 10:28 AM

Ah right, I was under the impression that it was mandatory to include the jingle. Like a clause in the OEM contract or something saying "if you want to use our chips u have to include the jingle in any non-print advertising".

Thought it was just a clever ploy by intel to get brand awareness, because when it all started with the pentium there was very little other choice for manufacturers, so they were hardly likely to say, "No i'm not going to play the jingle in my adverts, and instead i'll go with the (at the time) inferior AMD chip".

However, this was conjecture on my part and it appears that it wasn't correct. I still think having the intel jingle on the advert will add an element of tackiness to the sleekness that Apple adds are famous for.

I think the Apple brand as a "lifestyle" choice, in terms of public image and design, could be hurt far more than any cash from intel could provide remuneration for. Appe doesn't want to get associated with the blandness of the PC world... and to me that is what that jingle brings to mind.

Just my opinion.
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 11:09 AM

Ah right, I was under the impression that it was mandatory to include the jingle. Like a clause in the OEM contract or something saying "if you want to use our chips u have to include the jingle in any non-print advertising".

I used to do advertising for Compaq & Dell (mostly banner ads).

There was a agreement with Intel that if you included the Intel logo at the end (or during) the ad then they would pay something like 20% of the ad. Smart move as just about every PC company will do it.

This way it saves the advertiser 20% and Intel doesn't have to do any creative and only pays 20% to have their logo in every ad.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 11:18 AM

I don't care if my intel mac chimes the intel chime at startup -- mine never gets restarted anyway.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 11:32 AM

Now that Apple is moving over to Intel, when they launch new adverts are they gonna have to have that crappy pause u get in Dell adverts to allow for the Pentium logo and the Intel Jingle.
Since when does Apple advertise its hardware?

And it's not like a sticker could be more heinous than this.

"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 11:38 AM

Except the B&W looked cool back in the day. It still does. I would know, I own two of them (they make great webservers and file servers!).

I would guess that because Apple is into making very stylish computers for people who want to look and feel stylish that they wouldn't add the sticker to the computers. As for the jingle... well... it does seem a bit below Apple to include that in their commercials. You never know though.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2005, 01:33 PM

Yeah, since when does apple run TV adds for hardware. I've never seen an apple commercial for any powerbook, ibook, powermac, etc... I've only seen the iPod commercial, which I think is pretty freekin funny (read: pathetic but still funny and gets the job done). I think they would be stupid not to use the intel jingle... atleast it will give them an added reason to draw fence sitters in. I would also assume that the new computers will have intel logos on them somewhere, but not those cheasy stickers. Possibly the powerbooks will have an etched/engraved "intel inside" logo on the bottom and will say Powerbook [Processor Name] under the screen. These things would not be tacky, but would just serve to differentiate the machine.

I guess I'm just not a hardcore intel hater truth be told. Now my 3 latest desktop PC builds have been AMD; however, if I were to buy a non mac laptop right now you damn well best bet it would have a pentium M in it. that P-M is an amazing processor and can do wonders for the Powerbook!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules