Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Netgear WGR614 and MacBook

Netgear WGR614 and MacBook
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2007, 02:45 PM

I am trying to help a friend setup her new Macbook with a Netgear WGR614 router. She claims the setup was imposible because the CD that came with the router works only on windows.

I am sure the router will work with her new MacBook, but I have no idea how to set it....can you do it thru the airport utility? or thru where? A plug and play would work?

I would also like to put some kinda security on the connection so no one gets on her internet connection, is this possible if there is no mac software for the router?

I did some searching but did not get a good anwser on this...

Any help would be great, I don't want to spoil her first Mac experince she just made the switch!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 03:22 PM

Any router can be used on any platform, they are platform agnostic. All the CD does is help you configure the router, but most home routers have web interfaces for doing this. In the case of the Netgear router, this can be accessed through:

http://192.168.0.1

I believe the default username and password is:

user: admin
password: admin

She'll want to:

- change default router password

- change network name (SSID) optionally

- choose a security technique - either a MAC access list or WPA/WEP password (otherwise the network is wide open and anybody can access it)

You may or may not want to upgrade the Netgear's firmware to the latest version to accommodate a security technique of choice depending on how old the router is. However, I had lots of problems with newer versions of the firmware on my old Netgear router I used to use.

If all of this security stuff is a little out of your reach and if you think that locking down the network is important for her, let us know and perhaps we can simplify what I have written.

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2007, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the help...i will post back if I have any trouble.

Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules