Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Minimum RAM you would want in a Ti

Minimum RAM you would want in a Ti
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2001, 07:30 PM

Hi everyone, I have a question for y'all.

I just got my Ti and I have 128 MB RAM. Of course I want to increase this. A friend of mine has two 64 MB sticks extra and he's willing to give/lend me one of them to slap in my Ti. I was planning on getting at least 128 MB more, but now I can get his 64 for free. I'm wondering: does anyone else have 196 MB RAM? Is this enough to run OSX and some heavy-duty applications well? What is the minimum amount of RAM you would want in your Ti?

Thanks a bunch...

------------------
Phat Bastard

http://members.home.net/pstogios
-brand spankin' new Tibook! Isn't life grand?
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2001, 09:01 PM

I like this number: 512 MB ram

Ti/500/512/20
G4/533/512/40

------------------

dviant
Apr 15, 2001, 09:38 PM

Depends on what you want to do with it. For general mail, surfing, word-processing, occasional game, 196mb will work fine for both OS 9 and OS X. If you plan on doing graphics work or use other ram-hungry programs you'll want at least 256mb or more.

Personally I'm under the under the opinion that you can never have enough ram. Especially with it being so cheap these days. I wouldn't bother buying any sticks smaller than 256mb these days if you can afford it.

I have 512mb in my Pismo like Bugs does. It's great for all the graphics work do in OS 9... no out of memory messages, and I'm able to turn off VM to avoid hard drive hits that drain the battery.

OS X manages memory better than OS 9. Some say that more than 256mb isn't really that necessary for most uses, but hey... 512mb can't hurt.

bah!

iMacabre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2001, 09:44 PM

mine came with 128 and i picked up another 256 from memorytogo.com for around 90 bucks. ...and if you've got a tower, you can add 133 mhz 512 chips for 175. that site is usually always the cheapest but checkout ramseeker.com to be sure.
[and it works with the firmware update too]

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 16, 2001, 12:21 AM

Well, I have 192MB (128+64=192, not 196) in each of my Macs, and for most stuff it is plenty. The only time it ever gets tight is when I am doing web design and have IE, Netscape, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop and FreeHand open, along with the usual Finder and SoundJam MP .

tooki

Kestral
Senior User
Apr 16, 2001, 02:35 AM

I'd get a 256 meg chip for about $90 and end up wiht 384 megs of RAM.

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2001, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I thought 196 is not enough. I encountered my first low memory warning when I tried giving more memory to Unreal Tournament. I think I'll give memorytogo a try.

------------------
Phat Bastard

http://members.home.net/pstogios
-brand spankin' new Tibook! Isn't life grand?
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules