Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is 128MB video ram necessary?

Is 128MB video ram necessary?
sketch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 11:27 AM

I'm this close to buying my coveted 17" PowerBook through the apple.ca site. But I'm stuck on 2 items.

The first is video memory. As you all know, the choice is 64MB or 128Mb. I'm trying to spend as little money as possible (good luck!) so I'm wondering if I can sacrifice video memory. I'll be using the PB for webdesign (using both Macromedia and Adobe products). I'm hoping to get into video editing but really, it will be just transferring my 8mm tapes to DVD. I may watch DVDs on the PB but I can't see myself doing that much because I prfer to watch them on my tv. So, I'm assuming 64Mb memory will be ok for this?

The second item is the DVI to VGA Adaptor. I know it's only $30 but is this the item I'll need to connect my current VGA monitor to the PB? I plan on using the monitor to put all my palettes there and use the PB's screen for the canvas.

that's it!
Switcher here! PowerBook G4 1.67 avec 2GB ram. Running 10.3.9.

powerduck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by sketch:

The second item is the DVI to VGA Adaptor. I know it's only $30 but is this the item I'll need to connect my current VGA monitor to the PB?
I don't know if that adapter suits your needs, but a DVI-to-VGA adapter (and an S-video-to-composite adapter) is included (for free) with the PB. It seems like you could spend the 30 bucks towards the VRAM...

phantomac
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2004, 11:42 AM

64 MB VRAM will be more than enough for your requirements.
If you try to save money, why choose the 17"? For the stuff you intend to do, 15" will suffice - heck, if you want portability get the 12". The 12" is one of the coolest machines Apple has ever build.

The adaptor you mention ships the the Powerbook already.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2004, 12:09 PM

look at it this way.
you can't upgrade the memory afterwards (right?) and you don't need 128mb. but who knows what is coming in 3 years time.

i'd spring for the 128. i would hate to regret it later.

ryju
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2004, 12:20 PM

I ordered my PowerBook with the 128mb VRAM and am glad I did. Well I will be once I get it.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2004, 12:40 PM

Although there is a little difference performance wise according to Barefeats

http://www.barefeats.com/pb12.html

the extra money is a small price to pay. Some seem to think the larger GPU will make it run hotter, but I have no proof that it does. The handrests on my 64 MB never get uncomfortably hot. You can always flip a coin. I would opt for the 128, if only for HALO's sake.

By the way, a 5400 RPM HD test is on that same link in case you are wondering which drive option to choose.
( Last edited by urrl78; Sep 10, 2004 at 12:56 PM. )

ChillieMac
Sep 10, 2004, 02:11 PM

I was in the same position a week ago, but am very glad I got the 128 VRAM and 5400 rpm drive. While some test say there's little difference in graphics memory, that is only in things they specifically tested for and on today's needs. I assume, like me, that you won't be buying a new machine every 1-2 years(more like 4-5, 3 at the earliest). My philosophy is to get more than I need for today and it will serve me tomoroow (or thru the duration of owning the machine). Remember, Tiger will be putting more responsibilty for graphics functions on the GPU than Panther and the ammount of VRAM will come into play.

As to the 5400 rpm hd, that same website (barefeats) also says the faster drive makes a signifigant difference in boot times and program launching.

Congrats on the purchase; I LOVE my machine and you will too. Especially if it's been a long time between new computers. I went from 400 Mhz PowerMac G4 Sawtooth, 320 MB RAM, 16 MB VRAM to 15" 1.5 Ghz, Powerbook, 128 MB
VRAM, 512 MB RAM (getting 1 Gig stick soon)!

My 2 cents.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 10:27 PM

I'm glad I didn't get it, but that's just because I am on a strict budget and the BTO wait would have been too long for those two items
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules